The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 25, 2009, 05:36 PM   #26
Naterstein

I think loophole was a term created way before the Brady campaign.
Old January 25, 2009, 06:42 PM   #27
YARDDOG(1)

Back in 1979 18 year olds could buy handgun from FFLdealer, Back then you had too register the gun & carry in veicals had to be in plain sight
Old January 25, 2009, 09:09 PM   #28
Let it Bleed

I don't think he was implying that the Brady campaign coined the term loophole, but rather was pointing out that federalism cannot be considered a loophole.
Old February 3, 2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Indy_Guy_77

Don't know the law anywhere's else...

But here in Indiana, you CAN buy a handgun at 18 years old...provided that it's a face-to-face sale. (And a resident of Indiana...a "proper person" and all that jazz)

You have to be 21 in order to buy a handgun from an FFL/dealer, though.

We here in the Free State of Indiana also allow our 18-20 year olds to carry concealed...with the proper license, of course.

-J-
Old February 3, 2009, 04:53 PM   #30
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Back in 1979 18 year olds could buy handgun from FFLdealer, Back then you had too register the gun & carry in veicals had to be in plain sight
The 21 year old requirement has been around since the 1968 Gun Control Act. In 1979, when I was 19 years old, I couldn't even buy ammunition for a handgun. Back then, dealers had to keep a log of all ammunitions sales.

There has never been a federal firearm registration or a firearm registration in the State of Florida.

The requirement for carry in vehicles has always been a part of state/local law, not federal law. In 1987, Florida passed a law preventing all cities and counties from passing firearm laws (except for a 3 day waiting period at the county level). Thus, state law for carry in vehicles and for CCW was standardized throughout the state.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:34 PM   #31
mvp13

after i turned 18 i found it illogical that i could purchase a shotgun and not a hand gun , but what i found completely ridiculous is that i couldnt even go to my local gun range and rent a pistol from them to shoot in their own range until i turn 21
Old July 11, 2012, 09:17 PM   #32
michael t

Quote:
Very good advise! LEO's don't usually have time to be experts on the law.
I always heard ignorance of the law was no excuse. Suppose to apply to cops also. They best learn the laws their paid to enforce. . Save a lot of people from arrest on made up charges.
They all have or should have a book with their state laws . So they can look up what law to charge you with. When I was in Co. in 70' we all carried such a book.
Old July 12, 2012, 08:07 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gee, how could police make any arrests if they could only enforce REAL laws and not make them up as they go along?

JIm
Old July 14, 2012, 07:53 AM   #34
bluetopper

I bought a brand new S&W 357 when I was 18........in 1980.

I think the laws changed a few years after that.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:00 AM   #35
MLeake

Local and state cops don't typically enforce federal law, so there's not any real reason to assume they will be all that familiar with federal law. (Full disclosure: I've been given very erroneous advice from some cop friends with regards to handgun transfers in the past. Luckily, I found this forum, and checked on some things...)

When in doubt, ask a local lawyer, or ask the local ATF office.

Meanwhile, MO is another state where an 18yo can own a handgun (state law), but cannot buy from an FFL (federal law). I believe MO just passed a law allowing concealed carry permits for military members in the 18-20 age bracket, too.

I'm a bit concerned about what this may do to some of our reciprocity agreements, but I think the legislature and governor are in the right on this issue.