The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 14, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Mark54g

Safe recommendation

I applied for my NJ Firearms ID card recently, and before I make my first purchase, I think it would be more responsible of me to get a small/medium safe to keep the gun, parts and ammo I plan on getting.

Anybody have any recommendations? I don't plan on getting one of those double door arsenal style jobbers, but I don't want one that barely fits a single pistol/revolver either.

I don't want it too light cuz I don't want someone carting off the safe if I get robbed, however I don't want one that is impossible to move, as I plan on getting a house soon.

My budget is tight as I will be applying for all the permits, getting the gun, ammo, cleaning kit, etc.

thx in advance
Old April 14, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2
mandark

Attach it securely

With the lighter safes use half dozen lag screws and secure the safe to the floor and wall behind it. This way they will not be able to carry it off.

Also get the next size up from what you need presently, you’ll grow into it.

Regards
Mandark
Old April 14, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Majic

For on a budget check the phone book for dealers and inquire about used safes. Some makers produce short safes which are perfect if you don't plan on owning long guns. Even Walmart used to sell some.
Like mentioned above always buy a safe larger than you think you need. Most of the time you will outgrow it.
Old April 14, 2005, 01:26 PM   #4
swjr72

The Walmart here sells a small 2 handgun safe for $20 Says it is approved for use in kalifornia It can be bolted to the floor or wall
Old April 14, 2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Nortonics

If ya don't wanna' go hog wild with features and lacquer paint jobs, but still want really decent quality I find it hard to beat those Stack-On safes (not the cabinets, but the safes):

Stack-On safes
Old April 14, 2005, 02:24 PM   #6
Mark54g

Actually

I was looking at one of those on amazon, but was afraid that shipping would be a bit much. I would rather buy locally, but it seems NJ is getting quite unfriendly towards gun owners. I find that there are very few pistol ranges that are not private, none that will rent, etc.

This may mean a move to PA in a few years.
Old April 14, 2005, 02:50 PM   #7
PythonGuy

I second the Stack-on locked gun safes, I own two of them. I bought mine at Walmart in the gun dept, they are made by Stack-On, but are called a different name, and are cheaper to boot! The lady at Stack-on told me this when I called to place my order, they are perfect for handuns, I bought the model that fits 6 guns comfortably and it was $45. Its well made with a secure keylock using a double bar latch and a round security key like in vending machines.
Old April 14, 2005, 03:38 PM   #8
115grfmj

What area of the PRNJ are ya from ?
Old April 14, 2005, 04:03 PM   #9
Mark54g

Morris County

Cell Block P (that's a hint for the general area)