The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 29, 2010, 02:17 PM   #1
catken

Cimarron uberti 1858 Remington-Price

I have decided to purchase a Cimarron imported Uberti 1858 Remington C&B.The MSRP on Cimarron's web shows $369.83. Not knowing the markup, what would be considered a good price from a gun shop and at what point am I being taken. I've seen them on the internet for as little as $295.00 but I would rather deal with someone in person just in case there are problems with the gun. Ken
Old April 29, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
ClemBert

If you go to Cimarron's retail store, called Texas Jack's, you can see their actual price to be $333 plus shipping. I just happened to get a Charcoal Blue version for $289 delivered but only because of this situation. You may want to use Buffalo Arms as your source.

Old April 29, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
CajunPowder

Customer Service

Catken:

There is no doubt that Texas Jack's has good customer service as ClemBert's unusually sweet deal bear's testimony.

:barf:

I have heard that Cimarron assures that more quality control is applied to their offerings. I have heard that Cimarron has a deal where the pieces are "double polished", or perhaps they are simply "finished" better. And that's why they cost more. I don't know any of this to be fact, but I have done a HUGE amount of anecdotal reading in many different forums on these 1858 Remmie issues recently.

They don't have the model I want, or I would have ordered from TJ's. The only story I have heard of any consequence at all about Texas Jack's and Cimarron is ClemBert's unique and unusual story that turned out really, really well.

I HAVE heard positive reviews from many persons about Texas Jack's and Cimarron.

They have a $50 restock fee for any return that is stated on their website, but that's probably a per/piece application as ClemBert's story seems to indicate.

I'd go with Texas Jack's if they have what you want and you could always gather some prices together ... call them up and ask them ... why is Buffalo charging less but selling the same Cimarron? If you can get them to drop the price at all with a bit of price matching pressure, that would be mmmmVery good.

And it could be that the primary retailer for Cimarron, (Cimarron's the importer), is of course Texas Jack's, so as the primary retailer they must maintain a higher price.

According to rules of wholesale/retail - primary/secondary vendors, the secondary's need some incentive to sell for the importer who has a retail outlet.

Most importers that have retail outlets closely associated with themselves have to keep their prices just a bit higher than the secondary retail outlets they supply, (sometimes much higher).

Now ... with that said, it is possible that some "percentage" of cherry picking the best pieces occurs in this system with Texas Jack's being the beneficiary.

I know that if I were in that import-retail chain and I saw a PERFECT Remmie, it would go to a friend or business associate ... it would get cherry picked. And that's human nature, yeah?

Good luck with your purchase and please keep us informed on what you get in this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: cain't schpell two goed.
Old April 30, 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
catken

1858 Rem. Army 7 1/2" Char. Blue

First of all, thanks for your replies. Say what would happen if I was to go into a gun shop and show him a Buffalo Arms internet price of $342.79. Would he be able to match or come close or would he just laugh me out of the store. Also is there a web site to find out if the state of Mn. requires a store to make the purchase rather than you doing it yourself. Thanks again Ken