The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
skizzums

poly case

http://www.guns.com/2012/11/27/ployc...-shipping-380/

i haven't personally heard of these before, looks like they have been going for under a year. it's a scary thought though, if they indeed perfect this method for cases, that could be the end of affordably reloading ammo in the future. or it could be a great thing, if instead of reloading brass, you just buy a bag of new poly cases for a couple cents a round, but then you have to deal with availability issues during periods of high demand. but the more i pondered on this, the more i think at some point, this will be the future of ammunition at some point in my lifetime. i'm sure brass will always be available at a cost, but maybe no more range pick-up . don't fret just yet, i tried googling the business and all of their webpages are gone, so i dont think it worked oout this time....yet

nevermind...the web pages are fine
http://polycaseammunition.com/
Old October 30, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Valornor

It's an interesting development. I'll have to start keeping an eye out for empties. They say it can't be reloaded, and I trust that probably true with conventional dies, I'm curious if someone develops something that will do the trick. I'm stick really skeptical about the performance of such cases in rifle ammo.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Doesn't surprise me.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:27 PM   #4
lll Otto lll

PCA Spectrum made poly .223 ammo back in '04. It never took off and was generally considered to be junk with neck separations, failures-to-fire and signs of high pressures. To make things worse, it was rather expensive. It's only real advantage was that it saved on weight but few people seemed to really care.

Edited to add that they went bankrupt in '07. Maybe this new company will have better luck.

Last edited by lll Otto lll; October 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM.