The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 23, 1999, 12:39 PM   #1
Simon

Anyone have any experience with this combo? I wasted $30 on a nylon and velco one. It's about like wearing barbed wire wrapped around your leg. I hate to invest $70 in one and it not be comfortable. We have very warm climate, and this is one of few alternatives for concealment. Typical dress is dockers/polo-style short sleeve shirt.
Old December 23, 1999, 06:45 PM   #2
Jhp147

I'm not sure the weapon you chose is the best one for ankle carry, I like a j-frame. That being said, I DO have experience with at least 4 types of ankle holsters with lots of carry-well, as long as I could stand with a nylon-velcro rig that is the evil twin of what you describe. The only wearable and comfortable one is the DeSantis Apache or the Lawman Line equivalent (DeSantis is made better though). It is made of all surgical type nylon with a nice padded back and good, stiff velcro. Forty-five bucks or so, a good deal, and very comfortable once you realize that you can't wear it strapped too tightly, or your foot will go to sleep, and that high top shoes or quarter boot style boots go a long way in making the weapon ride comfortably. The other three types I've tried? One is discontinued and was too hot anyway (sold) and the other two hit the trash bin, couldn't in good conscience sell them to anyone. I can't say I've tried one of the high end Kramer or similar rigs, somebody out there that can share info on the "Cadillac" rigs?
Old December 25, 1999, 02:43 PM   #3
Jeff OTMG

The ankle holster by which all others are measured is by Lou Alessi. It is custom leather, I had to send mine back for him to change to make it right and he ended up remaking the holster. Now he knows my special needs so they are made the same way. That is the advantage of using a custom holster maker. The disadvantage is price. The holster is $95, but if you add up the price of the junk or mass produced holsters that most people buy, they could have gone out and done it right by buying a custom the first time out. Lou made 400 Glock 26/27 ankle holsters recently for a middle eastern security force. He is well respected.
Old December 25, 1999, 03:13 PM   #4
Simon

Thanks for the info. That isn't the first time I've heard he makes a great ankle holster. I don't mind spending $100 if it is worth it. The forty I spent on the one I have was wasted. I do think that would be a good carry compromise. Maybe not ideal, but given typical dress and climate, I think workable.
Old December 26, 1999, 11:44 AM   #5
SPG

SIMON, another vote for Mr. Alessi's work, I have been wearing mine on duty and for social use for a couple of years now. Very happy with it. Happy Holidays, Stay Safe, SPG
Old December 30, 1999, 07:42 PM   #6
Jonathan Chenault

well unless you carry something huge like a 44magnum then id say just get a shoulder holster and wear it under your shirt or something like that.
Old December 31, 1999, 12:25 AM   #7
nyeti

I've carried Eagle Industries upside down ankle holsters for years. It is the best, most comfortable, and most accesible ankle holster I have found. It is very unconventional looking, but I have never dropped a gun in any situation from this rig. I just got one for my G27 and it works great. I recommend one of Eagles utility type pouches for the opposite leg to balance the feel. The best thing about this rig is that you don't have to lift your pant leg to access your weapon.
Old January 3, 2000, 09:54 PM   #8
Roadking

I carried a Glock 27 in a Galco ankle glove for some time. Never really had a problem with it. I used to carry a Sig P228 as a back-up in a De Santis. It's model 44 on their website; http://www.desantisholster.com/. It is all leather with a suede back. The velcro loops back through a 'D' type ring, so if it pulls it will work against itself and won't come loose.

I have been in many foot pursuits with that 228 in the De Santis. As large as that weapon is it didn't go anywhere. That should tell you about how secure it is. However, I purchased that rig in 1990. I don't know if they make them like they used to.

[This message has been edited by Roadking (edited January 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Roadking (edited January 03, 2000).]
Old January 5, 2000, 01:42 AM   #9
Rob Pincus

personally, like the man above, I choose the old-reliable compact .38 for my ankle gun (640-2), but one guy on my shift wears a 27 in the desantis ankle rig and he says it has served him very well. It looked very well made.

Personally, I rarely wear an ankle holster without boots, as I have found that they too frequently slide down too low, if they don't have that boot to rest on. of course, that could be my little chicken legs causing that problem .
Old January 5, 2000, 01:43 AM   #10
Rob Pincus

personally, like the man above, I choose the old-reliable compact .38 for my ankle gun (640-2), but one guy on my shift wears a 27 in the desantis ankle rig and he says it has served him very well. It looked very well made.

Personally, I rarely wear any ankle holster without boots, as I have found that they too frequently slide down too low, if they don't have that boot to rest on. of course, that could be my little chicken legs causing that problem .
Old January 6, 2000, 12:55 AM   #11
Anthony

Sam,

Another vote for Mr. Alessi's ankle rig. I've had mine for five years and it's still in excellent condition. My S&W M-640 ride comfortably in it. Mine just cost $75 though. Get one!

- Anthony
Old January 7, 2000, 11:25 PM   #12
PROSOUTH

Well, I carry a S&W 442 airweight J-frame in a Galco Black ankle holster on duty. I tried the Glock 27 in a Galco Ankle rig and it was just to heavy for me. Yes, I `m a big guy and it still was just over-powering. The Aireight I forget about having on.It`s that much lighter.

One of the things I liked about the 442 S&W Airweight is that it is hammerless. It loaded with Speer 124 gr Gold Dot is quite sufficent.

This pistol in conjunction with the Galco Ankle Holster is a real winner. The Galco holster for the 442 is the retention type. It is quite good at it`s job and seems to be a lot easier and quicker to retrieve from its holster.

I can not attest to how comfortable it is compared to the custom one mentioned, but I really like mine. I did alter mine somewhat. It comes with an upper calf strap that I didn`t care for. I removed it and took the velcroed strap and used it for a saftey strap to wrap around the entire rig as a secondary retention.

prosouoth