The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

S&W purists... look away... ugly gun gets lipstick... how'd I do ???

before... antique S&W #2... barrel was cut by some former owner to make it more concealable, & ugly wood grip added... this gun was carried way more than shot, as the function is perfect... cosmetics... err... not so much... BTW... I used this gun to re-qualify for my last CCW renewal, & out shot a lot of the newbies with their bottom feeders

after... 6 months wait, which was worth the while ( IMO ) what little nickel left was stripped, the gun was polished out & blued to what they called master blue... I added a serration to the top sight rib, prior to the cosmetic work, to remove the 1/2 factory stamping on the barrel rib, they did a gold filled 38 S&W engraved on the side cover, & gold plated hammer & spur trigger... oh... & I had these grips I ran across a while back ( the grips were actually worth more than the gun to start with )

how does she look today??? my 1st "painted lady"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W #2 all dressed up.jpg (110.3 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg S&W #2 all dressed up - 2.jpg (106.7 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg S&W #2 all dressed up - 3.jpg (115.9 KB, 779 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 29, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old August 29, 2014, 07:03 AM   #2
kutz

WOW !
Old August 29, 2014, 07:25 AM   #3
CWKahrFan

Now there's a one-of-a-kind unique gun... Like it!
Old August 29, 2014, 07:44 AM   #4
smee78

That looks good, I think it is better in its current state than before, you just finished the job someone started .
Old August 29, 2014, 08:47 AM   #5
lee n. field

Everything's in good shape and functional? heck, go for it!

Black powder, or smokeless?

Quote:
BTW... I used this gun to re-qualify for my last CCW renewal, & out shot a lot of the newbies with their bottom feeders
<snicker> Just thinking about the befuddlement of others present as clouds of BP smoke waft downwind.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; August 29, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old August 29, 2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for all the positive comments... I know this had little collectability, with the barrel chopped, so I didn't feel guilty with the custom work I did... I actually prefer to collect old custom guns, S&W made 1000's in the factory configuration... I think something that someone customized to make it a better CCW gun is cool...

this was / is a black powder cartridge gun, but I have several loads I've shot it with over the several years I've owned it, using Trailboss ( this gun has actually fired all 3 load levels of my 38 S&W handloads using Trailboss ) I think now that she's pretty, I won't feed her any of the hotter loads any more... only pop gun, & general range use, no dedicated self defense loads anymore
Old August 29, 2014, 12:40 PM   #7
Ozzieman

You took a gun that at one time had a high value but that value was taken away before you purchased it,
You took that ugggly beast and made it into a very handsome gun. The value now must be much higher and not just for you.
Nice work

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 29, 2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Salmoneye

I'd take her to the dance...
Old August 29, 2014, 12:52 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have used that trick of putting J-frame grips on older S&W's and I don't think they are that ugly, but the new grips look a lot better. Since the gun was ruined as a collectible, the final result was good.

Is such a gun a good carry gun? It is slower than a DA revolver or most auto pistols, but it is very concealable and adequately powerful.

Jim
Old August 29, 2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Bob Wright

I like that very much.

Makes me a little jealous.

Bob Wright
Old August 29, 2014, 05:54 PM   #11
357 Python

Beautiful reserection. The only thing I might have done differently would have been to put the 38 S&W on the right side of the barrel instead of the sideplate. Either way, outstanding.
Old August 29, 2014, 08:03 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Hey . . . I think it looks terrific! I love it when someone rescues these "oldies" that otherwise would probably be parted out. That is one nice little revolver and you did a beautiful job! I would imagine it is a fun little gun to shoot as well. Thanks for posting the photos - I love good "gun ****" of more "matte" models!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 29, 2014, 10:55 PM   #13
Webleymkv

That's quite a classy little gun. If you don't mind my asking, who did the refinishing work for you (I was under the impression that S&W would no longer work on guns that old due to parts availability).
Old August 30, 2014, 07:57 AM   #14
loknload

Looks great! Enjoy!
Old August 30, 2014, 12:03 PM   #15
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

At least it wasn't a Baby Russian. 38 Single Action, 2nd Model. Here's mine. Not quite so pretty as yours, but everything is original.

Old September 2, 2014, 06:21 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the positive comments guys... WEBLEY... the gun functioned perfectly, so no parts were needed... the cosmetic work was done by Ahlman's in Morristown MN

DRIFTWOOD... I have a long barrel #2 ( 6" ) in very similar shape as the one you pictured... also have a S&W #1.5 that is very similar to my pictured #2 ( nickel is better ) but also had the barrel shortened... for that one, I found some 60-70's Gil Scottie Redwood grips, I added some nickel S&W medallions to those grips... after I get a couple others done, lil brother will go in, & also get a master blue, nickel hammer & trigger, & silver filled 32 S&W on the side cover... ( I went with gold accents on the 38, because of the brass S&W medallions... will go with silver accents on the 32 because of the nickel medallions ) I think the pair will be quite stunning...

but I have 2 other guns in line for work, before the lil 32... one of which is my Walker cartridge conversion gun

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 2, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old September 2, 2014, 09:06 AM   #17
skoro

MWM -

That's a real nice job of renewing an old shooter that still has some life left to it.

Enjoy!