The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 6, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Pinfire shotguns....hmmmmm...

I was perusing a nice shop that I don't often go into today since I had to make a trip out of town. This particular shop usually keeps the prices on pieces out of a reasonable range when compared with going market rates or the amount I would want to spend...

Anyway, while looking through their cases, I spied a beautiful 16 bore pinfire single shot shotgun that caught my attention through its vivid styling. It was beautiful- like a back action muzzleloader with a barrel that broke down like any other single barrel- but the way you broke the barrel down was like a Husqvarna double- just gorgeous in my opinion, but I'm biased. The $1200. price tag tuned me off though- but the condition did match the price and may be somewhat reasonable.

Anyway, I know that there are pinfire cases made for these that can be reloaded so shooting them is not out of the question.

I got to thinking *theoretically*...would a reproduction pinfire shotgun be considered like a muzzleloader in the sense that no 4473 would have to be filled out since readily available commercial ammuntion isn't available? Also, it would be understood that commercial ammunition would have to "stay" unavailable. Brass cases to reload could become commonplace though.

Of course- don't drop pinfire shells or a loaded pinfire shotgun on the pin!
(Likely the reason they aren't made...liability!)

Well, here's the definition...

Quote:
Title 18, Section 921(a)(16) then defines "antique firearm" as follows:

"The term 'antique firearm' means -

* (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and
* (B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -
o (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
o (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."
To me, pinfire brass shotgun cases utilizing a percussion cap of any size would be, if the above is interpreted literally, an "antique reproduction" and therefore exempt. However, the first guy to try to market a brass case that somehow utilized a boxer or berdan primer or 209 even in the case, or loaded ammunition that could be bought "off the shelf" would make them "firearms."

I just got to thinking it wouldn't be too hard to make one like the one I saw...in 8 bore!

I guess I shouldn't be hav'n a sip of Dickel while reading and think'n on the forum, eh?

Last edited by Andy Griffith; October 6, 2010 at 09:09 PM.