The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 1999, 12:51 PM   #1
vince weng

mossberg offers model 590 with a ghost ring option. The price is about $50 higher than those without a ghost ring. Is the ghost ring worth the money? Typical, you shoot a shotgun by pointing instead of aiming. What kind of situation will you need a ghost ring?
Old October 8, 1999, 03:11 PM   #2
LongDuck

Slugs.

I have the Moss500 with factory Ghost Ring sights and they are nice (and installed) for $50. I purchased the 6-shot variant with blued finish, hi-visibility front sight and it works very well for patterning buckshot or slugs at longer ranges.

If you're definitely going to be using the shotgun for perimeter defense, the factory Mossberg ghost rings are very effective and add considerable value and flexibility to the gun, IMO. I shopped around for a shotgun with factory installed sights and this is what I ended up buying.

On top of that, the factory Mossberg ghost rings are easily adjustable at the rear for windage and elevation for a simple adjustment in the field. Only slightly off at the factory, and a quick adjustment had them shooting dead on. I love mine.
Old October 8, 1999, 03:14 PM   #3
bruels

I installed a ghost ring on my Mossberg 500 years ago. The cost of just the part was more than the extra $50 installed you mention.

In comparing the two, both ghost ring and bead front sight only, I think the ghost ring arrangement is faster for acquiring the target and aligning the sights. For one, your head is more upright rather than scrunched down to sight down the top of the shotgun with the bead only models.

The ghost ring arrangement does a great job at getting accurate hits with slugs 50-100 yards out.
Old October 8, 1999, 05:04 PM   #4
Gunfighter

Have a 590 w/ Ghost Ring sights for work, love em super fast target aquisition. Worth the $50. Dept issus 870 w/rifle sights, when I instruct I let the other kids shoot my 590 they love it.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Old October 8, 1999, 05:04 PM   #5
Gunfighter

Have a 590 w/ Ghost Ring sights for work, love em super fast target aquisition. Worth the $50. Dept issus 870 w/rifle sights, when I instruct I let the other kids shoot my 590 they love it.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Old October 8, 1999, 07:15 PM   #6
BarkinDog

Are you sure thats the only difference? From what I've seen in the gun shops the model that comes standard with the ghost ring sights is the 590A1, besides the better sights it has a metal safety switch and trigger guard and a thicker barrel than the 590. Can't remember the price difference exactly but at the time it seemed like the 590A1 was worth the extra cost.
Old October 8, 1999, 08:14 PM   #7
pete80

Go with the A1 model, with ghost ring sites. I will also be purchasing this shotgun when my funds allow me to do so! It is a tough gun and what really appeals to me is the sites. You can bring the gun on target in a flash, accurate slug fire is a sinch with the ghost ring. Some say the bead site is quicker but for what purpose? Your not shooting skeet with this weapon, god forbid you will be defending yourself with it and the fast target aquisition is key in this arena.
Old October 9, 1999, 02:31 AM   #8
oberkommando

Would go with ghost ring, only 50 sounds like a deal, I have looked through these and found them second only to MMC Ghost ring sights, MMC installed typicaly costs 250.00 (4340 steel and very heavy duty but a pretty penny.) I'm having them added to benneli (factory ring is in the canyon near my house--blew off in fast 3" mag string),and 870, but would like to add the 590a1 with factory rings to my colleciton later.

oppressed in kalifornia.