The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 16, 2009, 11:08 PM   #51
djohn

Dogs are mans best friend and a great deterent. After my mom and dads house was broke into some yrs back,my brother gave them a half grown Doberman pincher that turned out to be a 90lb grizzly to unwelcomed quests.Dogs hear things we dont as humans and will let you know that something is up when your not even aware of it.I would a least consider at least a midsize dog.Good luck and hope the thugs dont return.
Old June 17, 2009, 12:08 AM   #52
Sixer

Pacerdude, what's up with these guys anyway? Maybe I missed it... but are they just some punk teens, or in their 20's to 30's? How many are you dealing with? Do they look like street bred gang bangers or just your neighborhood troublemakers?

Maybe it doesn't matter either way... but it would help to know EXACTLY what type of people you could possibly confront before actually doing it. If it's just a group of neighborhood teenagers, then one rack of the Mossy should do the trick for good... Otherwise, a bit more caution may be needed before any kind of confrontation. Sometimes the older ones can be a bit more determined and more difficult to persuade.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:56 AM   #53
BlindMansBluff

I'm still not conviced we have the entire story. I can't put my finger on it but there is something more we aren't being told.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old June 17, 2009, 08:53 AM   #54
OuTcAsT

Pacerdude, Did you and your family make it through the night OK ?

Any more visits from the thugs ?

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 17, 2009, 09:18 AM   #55
mp25ds4

put up a no tresspassing sign and tell them to leave if they are on your property.

Also try to make them think that you have gone away.... for instance park your car a good ways away from the house, they are more likely to make a move if they think you are gone, it sounds like they are going to try to break in eventually but this way at least you wont be in Athens when they do.

teach the 15 year old how to use and operate the shotgun as best you can, the same for your mom and at least make sure your sister knows how to shoot it

the cops probly wont be much help here they will just think these thugs are taking pictures of the house because they think its pretty

just like when some pedafile was waiting in his car watching my cousin go inside his house from where the school bus drops him off at least 3 times in a 2 week period then moved his car into the exact spot my cousin walks by every day to get to his house, my mom happend to be taking him home from school that day thank god, when we called the police they said it was most likely he was stealing wifi internet from houses,

Also there are these things you can buy now that will prevent people from kicking in your door better than a dead bolt lock, i forget what they are called but i think they attatch to your floor
Old June 17, 2009, 09:33 AM   #56
Steviewonder1

Car broke into

If you reside in the City of Atlanta, I really feel for you with all of the layoffs and vacancies in the PD. Get to a range and practice with that shotgun.
Good Luck and Straight Shooting if you need to.
Old June 17, 2009, 09:50 AM   #57
easyG

Quote:
Anyway, it was surreal to watch them get out of their car and snoop around on the video. I was looking at them in person and never noticed that they actually got out of the car and took a picture. My mom is going to get a shotgun and practice on my grandpas land. I know confronting them at night with my gun drawn is a terrible idea, but watching them on my front yard casing the house and taking pictures really rubs me the wrong way. What else would you guys do?, we have an alarm system, video surveillance and motion sensing lights...
[deleted illegal advice]

Last edited by pax; June 18, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old June 17, 2009, 10:08 AM   #58
TailGator

Quote:
deleted illegal advice
I hope that was tongue in cheek. If not, it is just about the worst advice imaginable, placing the OP at risk of being charged with assault with a deadly weapon, conspiracy, and God only knows what else.

Last edited by pax; June 18, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:19 AM   #59
pacerdude

I actually live outside Atlanta, in Rockdale right across from the DeKalb county line. When I saw them they appeared to only be in their teens maybe 18 or 20.... And this is all of the story that I know... I have told you guys everything about what led to the break in of the car, and everything after that. We made it through the night fine . Thanks for the concern and the advice.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:36 AM   #60
pacerdude

They drove by once in the middle of the night and that was all they did. I think the shotgun worked. One of our friends came over last night and he showed my mom how to load, unload, and cock the shotgun as well as how to work the safety. My brother is well trained with guns and knows how to handle the shotgun. My sister is all of 5'6" and 90 pounds and the shotgun would knock her flat on the ground.

P.S. He taught my mom how to do this inside the house and then they practiced on the porch.

Last edited by pacerdude; June 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: left out something
Old June 17, 2009, 11:41 AM   #61
45guy

Retain a lawyer. Fallow his advise.

The police have been less than enthusiastic in this and if any thing "goes down" they may try to lay it on you to cover there a---s.
Keep good records and give your lawyer all copies, keep up dated. Retain only the copies he recommends. Have all video/audio down loaded to his office, this way attorney client privilege applies. Other wise the police WILL seize and you can have a hard time recovering a complete copy. This way you have control and can disperse as you need.
It keeps every one honest.

Last edited by 45guy; June 17, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old June 17, 2009, 12:15 PM   #62
djohn

Agree with tailGator,I also hope that was tongue and cheek because thats the kinda talk as lawbidding gun owners we do not need.That's got to be the worst advice of a thread yet.Congrats for just giving the Anti's more ammunition to feed on.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:36 PM   #63
Donn_N

Quote:
My sister is all of 5'6" and 90 pounds and the shotgun would knock her flat on the ground.
Its a 20 gauge shotgun, not a howitzer. If she is taught to fire it properly it won't knock her flat on the ground.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:41 PM   #64
pacerdude

Donn N, I hadnt considered that, I have a pacemaker and will not be using the shotgun as I am not allowed to use a gun with so much kick.
Old June 17, 2009, 02:38 PM   #65
jfrey123

If they keep coming around, even with the camera, they've got a bad plan for you. I can't admit here that I'd be able to control myself and watch them take photos and walk around on closed circuit tv.

One thought might be a PA system. Some kind of outdoor speaker you can talk through from the inside. "Hey mother f'ers, I see you in my drive way, I'm calling the cops... Again!"

I also agree that a second camera may be necessary, somewhere pointed that it can see the first camera. My suspicion too is that they're coming back and going to trash your surveillance as step #1.
Old June 17, 2009, 06:04 PM   #66
MLeake

20 gauge and smallish female

Pacerdude, FWIW I grew up in semirural Maine. In one friend's family (they had a farm), his little brother received a 16ga for his 5th birthday. He had to learn to shoot it with it lying across a fence rail.

I'm pretty sure your sister can learn to handle a 20ga, especially if you find some lower recoil loads.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:49 PM   #67
Ricky B

Quote:
That's got to be the worst advice of a thread yet.
You were too kind!
Old June 17, 2009, 09:55 PM   #68
easyG

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You were too kind!
Don't knock it till you've tried it!
Old June 17, 2009, 10:17 PM   #69
Tucker 1371

One thing to keep in mind is to not let it get personal. These guys obviously already have and they have a bone to pick with your family. Just keep your wits about you and stay cool no matter what happens and don't let the "they're after my family I'm fighting mad" syndrome take over. Do exactly what needs to be done and nothing more (i.e. no pumping rounds into a BG that's already down).

Like I said before, work as much with the police as possible; Show them the video and try to get a squad car to tail them out and give 'em a scare next time they drive by your place.

Again, I might be letting my paranoid side show here but since they've already shown so much persistence I wouldn't put it past them to be trying to figure out where you or your mother are during the day. Just stay alert and if you have a permit then CCW.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old June 17, 2009, 10:20 PM   #70
Ricky B

Quote:
Don't knock it till you've tried it!
Kindness or drive-by shootings?
Old June 17, 2009, 10:54 PM   #71
easyG

deleted illegal advice

Last edited by pax; June 18, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:43 PM   #72
teeroux

I had a similar experiance as well as one of my brothers after I moved on out the nest.

Well in both instances the BGs stopped harrassing our momma but then broken jaws, missing teeth, and cracked skulls from being pistol wipped and struck with brass knuckles will do that.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:59 PM   #73
Tucker 1371

Quote:
deleted illegal advice
Effective maybe, efficient or legal? Doubt it. Doing what you posted earlier might work in a bar fight but in a use of force situation it will get you in a lot more hot water. The idea is to not be the party that escalates the situation easyG, if you respond with lethal force in GA you need to have
Quote:
a reasonable fear of imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to himself or herself or to another
and you are believed to have such if
Quote:
the person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered upon an occupied habitation and the person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry was occurring or had occurred.
It will be very hard to justify having you and a few of your friends blow the hell out of some folks sitting in your driveway or standing around in your yard unless they're visibly armed and even then the fact that you had friends help you shows a little too much premeditation IMO.

Quote:
+1, now let's get back on topic.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by pax; June 18, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old June 18, 2009, 12:06 AM   #74
samurai30047

Force against force

Getting a lawyers advice is important and having the right kind of lawyer give it to you is the most important. The vast majority of lawyers are lefty libtards that will discourage any type of self defense. Check the laws yourself particularly the newer ones on protecting property. I have a lot of experience with confrontations and this sounds like a good time for one. These guys stop a car in front of your house, I would either go to a window facing the street or open the front door, shotgun across my chest. The window is nice because you have a wall(hopefully brick) as cover. They've been trespassing and doing a lot of harassing. It's your house. If they've already brazenly walked around your house and car with a camera after a smash and grab, they probably are going to up the ante eventually. You have to have the mindset that something bad can happen to your family. Call 911 and keep an open line. I might use a head set for hands free operation. You can always put the phone on a table or something.They approach you, you give loud repetetive verbal commands. Get back in the car, get out of here! You are trespassing, the cops are enroute!!" Remember, in court, a judge will WANT to see a clear cut case of self defense. If you have to shoot the shotgun tuck it under your arm pit on the opposite side of the pacemaker, or let fly from the hip. If you have neighbors across the street or close on either side you have to be accurate. No maybes. I'd maybe let them get within 15 ft unless they brandish weapons. Then the distance gets longer. Problem here is you don't have any training so the bad guys have a huge advantage.
I was enjoying a movie with my family in the living room about 5 years back. Out of the blue I see about 7-8 teen agers walking across my lawn, across my neighbors lawn into her back yard. It's 11:30 p.m. and she's a 40 year old single mom. I go out to my drive way and see they're using her back yard for a party place AND snooping around the garage. I yelled at them to get the hell out of there, this is a quiet neighborhood. They slowly did but then I thought what if one of this big goofs decides I should mind my own business. So yeah, I got my pistol from the house. And stood in my drive way as cars were driving off. No problems since.
Old June 18, 2009, 12:10 AM   #75
Trooper Tyree

Quote:
Getting your own gang together to deal with a threat.

It works most of the time.
Right. Gangs and vigilantism violence are so effective.

It's why urban areas are so tranquil and peaceful. All the gangs.

There's something queer about this thread I can't put my finger on. Also that other thread, the Attacked in a parking lot thread. Perhaps it's just that the posters are young and this shtlick is still an exciting event/adventure to them.