The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
BPowderkeg

Re.,Speaking Of Powder Blends, I Am Very Sorry !!

Quote:
CAUTION: The following post is about loading practices specifically warned against in published handloading information. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
i am very sorry about what i posted, i had no idea this was an off limits topic, mods and staff, please forgive me, as i said it was only a thought and wanted opinions......, looks as though i got one.

in the future i will not be posting here, unless it is accepted practices recognized by safe and sane principals.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's not a problem. Im pretty sure I started a very similar thread a few years back. You're not in trouble.

ALMOST any other reloading topic is open for discussion, even stuff considerably outside normal practices.

If you get outside normal practices or post unpublished data or data outside book limits, just include that warning you have in your post above and all is well.
Old June 4, 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Agree, it's not off limits so much as potentially hazardous enough that the warning has to go in. Some beginners will not catch on until it's too late. Main thing is to keep folks safe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 4, 2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

The big problem with this is that unless you have a pretty good ballistics lab you are never really sure what iis going on inside your gun. Even worse you may find a load that is safe in your gun but which may well turn the next gun into a grenade.

Duplexing and triplexing loads has been done for a long time, nut it is not the same as what you are talking about. Even those activities, though, can be destructive if done improperly.

Ammo companies and reloading suppliers spend millions of dollars in testing and research to ensure tjat the powders and sata they provide are safe for a wide combination of firearms.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
dacaur

Quote:
history has proven that some of the craziest ideas have turned into some of our best inventions
While there are many examples of that, there are many more examples of crazy ideas that actualy turned out to be CRAZY IDEAS, poor thinking if not downright dangerous... Remember that while developing the .357mag, Elmer Keith blew up many guns..... Not something we want our members doing in the name of accuracy thats probably not even there...
Old June 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #6
wncchester

Amature powder "blending" is as old as reloading and it has never worked well. In the "old" days shooters had few powders to choose from but today we have such a profusion of burn rates it's not needed.

The perception between what ammo makers use and what we can buy is vastly over rated; the difference isn't much and it's often none at all. The ONLY difference between what the ammo makers use and our's is that we get 'cannister powders', being those lots that fall into a very narrow burn rate that permits us to work with it without all the technicians and test equipment the big boys have.

As mentioned previously, the modest blending by ammo makers is only a slight mixing of different lots of the same general type done by careful testing, it's NOT a whimsical mix of wholly different powders done by guess and by golly.

Last edited by wncchester; June 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM.