The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
jborushko

Legality of combining two rifles into one

Hello I was digging in the back of the safes and came across two old guns... a stevens 22lr and a old bolt action 20ga.

What I want to do is combine them both into one "survival rifle". What is the legal presidence for that? Two serial number gun in one stock... one being a shotgun.

Any help would be good, thanks. Btw I live in Washington state if that makes any differance.

Im posting here as I would assume gunsmiths would have a better idea of this kind of thing
Old November 25, 2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Shotgun693

I'd kinda like to see what you have in mind or see a photo when you finish. Many years ago there was a 'smith that would hang a Rem 1100, sans butt stock, underneath the barrel of an AR 15. It was just to heavy to be very practical.
Old November 25, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Such multicaliber rifles are already made. I don't think there would be any legal problems so long as neither violated barrel length minimums and only fired on shot per trigger pull.

With that said, you would have to do some creative work to not making the combination of the two guns no be impractical.
Old November 25, 2011, 02:23 PM   #4
jborushko

I know that ones are around for purchase, but those are manufactured that way so any legal issues with thethe btaf would already be dealt with upon manufacturing. As far as I know those double rifles/survival rifles only have one serial number and they can NOT be turned into separate rifles after the fact

I definatly have no desire to cut the length of either barrels.
Old November 25, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
PetahW

[What I want to do is combine them both into one "survival rifle". What is the legal presidence for that? Two serial number gun in one stock... one being a shotgun.]

AFAIK, it's perfectly legal to do so, PROVIDED that BOTH serial numbers remain unmolested & visible on the finished product, AND the minimum Federal length requirements (18" bbl because of the shotgun and 26" overall length) are observed (in addition to any state laws).

The Federal 26" OAL requirement includes any folding buttstock, measured with the stock extended.

Old December 1, 2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Fleet

It would be a whole lot easier to go find a Savage 24V. They came with a shotgun tube and a rifle tube all on one frame.