The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2011, 05:34 PM   #51
briandg

adoption fees are another problem, IMO. You can get "free to anyone who asks" kittens and puppies from the newspaper every day. The worst possible way to adopt a pet, IMO. unspayed, unvaccinated, untreated, unwormed, and unknown. But, if you go to the shelters, you're hit with a very large fee, and told to do the right thing.

Do the right thing? are you kidding? I'm a human being. To me, the right thing is punching you in the nose and taking your dog.

I wish that certain members of society would realize that focusing so hard on spay and neuter clinics to eliminate the proliferation of feral animals needs to be applied to humanity, as well. I've got a standing offer of $2k in cash to any of my nephews who neuters himself. Money ain't talking, and I don't know why. One of them has left 3 kids behind with single mothers.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:12 AM   #52
devildog66

I empathize with you. I would worry if you didn't feel that regret or remorse. Perhaps live trapping them may be the better option for you.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:42 AM   #53
shortwave

Quote:
I empathize with you. I would worry if you didn't feel that regret or remorse.
Just last night, went out to a butcher shop to pick up a deer a buddy of mine had processed.

While we were there, the owner and his son were gearing up to slaughter/butcher a few steers. Steers were in a holding pin near one of the outside winches used for hoisting carcass up for bleeding/skinning/gutting.

As we came out of the building, the son walked over to the first steer and shot him with a 22short and the steer went down. Very quickly, while steer was still moving a bit, they hoisted him up in the air, cut his throat to bleed him out.

Having been involved in this same process myself many times, butchering most farm animals and much wildlife, there is still that 'feeling' when I take a life of an animal.

Doesn't seem to matter whether the killing is done for the sake of eating or nuisance control, feeling is the same.

Although that 'feeling' is not a pleasant one, I don't think I ever want to lose it. But I realize the task at hand, must be done.
Old December 16, 2011, 12:57 AM   #54
jimmythegeek

I've dispatched a sick cat with a piece of stove wood

He was a weird old thing, couldn't meow so we named him "Squeak." Kind of clumsy - which is really an odd thing, in a cat. I mean, there's not a creature in the animal kingdom that's as James Bond cool as a cat. Except this one. He was an ok critter anyway, liked people well enough.

Squeak was getting on in years, feeling ill, not eating much. He was boney and his fur was dull. Then one day I saw him dragging himself around, only his front legs worked. He'd been on the farm for years, most of it inside by the stove. I didn't see how a trip to the vet was any kindness, and I felt it would be passing the buck. I'm not religious but I asked for the strength to do it right, found it (or was given it) and he never had to leave his home. I hope if I'm in similar straights someday, someone does me the same kindness.

With cats and people, there's a real question who domesticated who. I'd happily take out a rat, but it would be no pleasure to kill another cat. I suppose if I needed to again, I would.