The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
scottishkid87

S&W M&P or WALTHER P99????

hey guys, just looking for some personal opinion feedback. Thinkin' about getting either a Walther P99 or S&W M&P. I'm getting it in the .40
any thought as to which is a better gun? preferably from someone who has owned/shot one/both.
any other makes/models i should consider?
Thanks for the input!
Old February 26, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2
trustygun25

I own one and have shot them both, m&p hands down
Old February 26, 2011, 08:37 PM   #3
YoungGun

I recommend the M&P. Sold the Walther P99 years ago.

Yg
Old February 26, 2011, 08:47 PM   #4
zombieslayer

Imo- the P99 is the finest polymer pistol made. Excellent ergonomics, accuracy, and build quality. Handle one if you haven't yet.
Old February 26, 2011, 09:00 PM   #5
sserdlihc

Quote:
Imo- the P99 is the finest polymer pistol made. Excellent ergonomics, accuracy, and build quality. Handle one if you haven't yet.
I totally agree. I have rented and shot both. Prefer the P99.The ergonomics are impeccable. I take nothing away from the M&P. Great ergonomics, but in my hand the P99 felt better.
Old February 26, 2011, 09:11 PM   #6
T1gger

+1 for the P99 AS

I had shot both the P99 and M&P. I now own a P99. If you get the one with the AS trigger, I just think you can't get any better in a polymer pistol trigger. Plus the ergos are better in my opinion. Ergos will differ between different hand sizes and shapes, but there's no denying the better trigger on the P99 AS. But, as always, I would encourage you to shoot both and get whichever one you are better with, because in the end, your performance with the pistol is what's going to count.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
SW40F

Looks like the OP will have to go hands-on with both and Use the Force to decide.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:40 AM   #8
kylen

I think the Walther P99! It would be my choice. However I wish they carried it in .45. That's European countries for ya though. When their law enforcement 's primary handguns shoot. 380 ammo. You know u got a problem. Lol.
Old February 27, 2011, 11:51 AM   #9
espnazi

In between those two I would pick the M&P but the P99Q is coming out and so far I like what I'm seeing. I would also consider the P99Q as possible contender.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:24 PM   #10
ShipWreck

No contest - Walther P99 - if choosing between the 2...

Old February 27, 2011, 12:27 PM   #11
AustinTX

Walther P99.
Old February 27, 2011, 01:04 PM   #12
IMightBeWrong

Walther P99 AS by a mile. There's a newer version coming out called the PPQ, also.
Old February 27, 2011, 01:10 PM   #13
trustygun25

how many police depts carry the walther? you need to go shoot them both
Old February 27, 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
T1gger

Quote:
how many police depts carry the walther? you need to go shoot them both
I hear this reasoning a lot, but just because it isn't widely used by a police department doesn't mean that the gun is not superior to ones that ARE being used. Police departments need guns that are simple enough for even people who are not gun savvy to use. I've owned both a Glock 19 and a Walther P99 AS. I still have the AS and consider it to be a more comfortable and much more accurate gun with a clearly better trigger.

Another example is that our military uses Beretta as their sidearm; however, I personally think Sig would have been a superior choice. However, the Beretta contract was cheaper.
Old February 27, 2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Sgt Pepper

+1 Walther P99.
Old February 27, 2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Fargazer

I have shot a M&P .40 once, comparing it to a Beretta Px4 Storm .40. I own a Walther P99 AS in 9mm.
  • Walther P99 is very easy to field strip and clean, no tools needed. The M&P requires a frame tool, though it does store the tool in the gun.
  • Many people think the Walther has a better feel in the hand; I know it does for me. YMMV.
  • The M&P will have far more accessories available than the P99. For example, I wanted TruGlo TFO sights on my pistol, but they don't make them for the P99; they do for the M&P.
  • The Walther AS trigger is considered one of the finest factory triggers in production. With anything concerning feel and comfort, YMMV.
  • The Walther has the magazine release in a somewhat atypical position, underneath the trigger guard. I love it, but some do not. Very easy to release the magazine with the middle finger of the shooting hand.
  • The M&P will likely be cheaper, perhaps $50 to $100.
For me, I would buy the Walther; I've liked it enough to get a P99c to expand my carry options. That doesn't mean it's the perfect fit for you - try your best to shoot both before making a final purchase decision.
Old February 27, 2011, 04:00 PM   #17
.357SIG

Both are good guns. I think I'd prefer the P99 because I operate it much more smoothly than the M&P, partially due to the mag release. It is also more accurate to me, even under stress.

Several police depts. use the P99, but none of the major ones in the US that everyone's familiar with. There are very large LE and military users outside the USA, and they seem happy. Just because it's not huge in the US doesn't mean it's a POS. It is also competing with several good, cheaper polymer guns, and many folks don't feel the extra cost is worth it when other options are out there.
Old February 27, 2011, 04:46 PM   #18
jeepman4804

Quote:
I have shot a M&P .40 once, comparing it to a Beretta Px4 Storm .40. I own a Walther P99 AS in 9mm.

* Walther P99 is very easy to field strip and clean, no tools needed. The M&P requires a frame tool, though it does store the tool in the gun.
* Many people think the Walther has a better feel in the hand; I know it does for me. YMMV.
* The M&P will have far more accessories available than the P99. For example, I wanted TruGlo TFO sights on my pistol, but they don't make them for the P99; they do for the M&P.
* The Walther AS trigger is considered one of the finest factory triggers in production. With anything concerning feel and comfort, YMMV.
* The Walther has the magazine release in a somewhat atypical position, underneath the trigger guard. I love it, but some do not. Very easy to release the magazine with the middle finger of the shooting hand.
* The M&P will likely be cheaper, perhaps $50 to $100.

For me, I would buy the Walther; I've liked it enough to get a P99c to expand my carry options. That doesn't mean it's the perfect fit for you - try your best to shoot both before making a final purchase decision.
Why do you NEED the take down tool. All of mine come apart by simply locking the slide back, rotating the take down lever counter clock-wise, riding the slide forward, pull the trigger, slide off. Of course I also refuse to buy a gun with a magazine disconnect...

I do not like the magazine release on the P99.

I like them both, but I am biased towards the M&P as I have several FS and Compacts in several calibers...
Old February 27, 2011, 04:57 PM   #19
scottishkid87

thanks so much for the input guys!! i will definitely try to get my hands on both before deciding. and take all your points into consideration
Old February 27, 2011, 05:13 PM   #20
sserdlihc

Quote:
There's a newer version coming out called the PPQ, also.
Those slide serrations look like an afterthought to me on the PPQ.
Old February 27, 2011, 05:34 PM   #21
T1gger

PPQ is also supposed to have a Glock-like trigger, which takes away from what makes the P99 AS so awesome. I think the PPQ is going to be replacing the P99 QA.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:08 PM   #22
JCP281

While the ergonomics on the p99 are good.. to say its the finest polymer pistol made... :barf:

Between those 2 I would get the P99 just because of the trigger alone.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:37 PM   #23
goose13

I own an M&P, and have shot a P99 on several occasions because a good buddy owns one. This is just personal preference but I would take the M&P hands down
Old February 27, 2011, 10:03 PM   #24
Usertag

I Recommend The S&W M&P. The Walther P99 is great. But Isn't better then the S&W M&P. And any ways the walther has problems feeding because of it's barrel lip. Also when you press the slide release, For a new clip. The Slide Gets stuck on the hammer (not all the way, but it sometimes happens).
Old February 27, 2011, 10:49 PM   #25
JCP281

LOL^

Tags
.40 , compare , smith , walther , wesson