The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Boomba

Closest match to 9mm Speer Gold Dot

I'm looking to start making loads that are as close as possible to 115 grain Speer Gold Dot for range practice. I've looked around a little, but haven't found too much.

What brand of bullet is the closest to the GDHP? (besides Speer obviously, they are tough to find sometimes)
What type of powder has the most similar burn?
Approximately how many grains should I start at to get 1210 fps?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Boomba; February 16, 2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old February 16, 2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What do you mean by "as close as possible"?

Any jacketed 115gr bullet is going to be basically the "same" for practice, unless you mean the actual terminal performance.

The Lyman 49th lists 6.5gr of Power Pistol as the MAX LOAD for Hornady 115gr XTPs and lists 1212fps with an OAL of 1.090.

This is a MAX LOAD. Start lower (they list 5.9gr start) and work up.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
SL1

Speer Gold Dot bullets are somewhat different from other makes. They act like jacketed, but they are actually made with a plating process. And, their hollow points are usually smaller than Hornady XTPs of the same weight, so their seating depths are different and that means that their max charge weights are different, too.

So, if you want to "match" them as closely as possible, but more cheaply, it becomes important to know what parameter you want to match.

If you are thinking about working-up a load with the cheaper bullet and then just substituting the GD HPs in your handloads for a small number of rounds, then you should stick with Speer's most similar bullet, the 115 TMJ and note that it is loaded to a different COL for the same load data in Speer manuals.

But, if all you want is something that "feels" like the Speer factory cartridge and shoots to the same point of impact on a paper target, then there are a lot of possibilities. Any jacketed bullet of the same weight, loaded with a medium burn-rate powder like Power Pistol should be able to be adjusted to hit the same point on the target and feel about the same in recoil.

SL1
Old February 16, 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Boomba

Quote:
But, if all you want is something that "feels" like the Speer factory cartridge and shoots to the same point of impact on a paper target, then there are a lot of possibilities. Any jacketed bullet of the same weight, loaded with a medium burn-rate powder like Power Pistol should be able to be adjusted to hit the same point on the target and feel about the same in recoil.
I'm looking mainly for feel, with similar point of impact a close second.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:54 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

IME Rainier plated bullets perform much like Speer's plated.

Power Pistol is a superb 9mm choice; there are many others.
Old February 17, 2010, 09:04 AM   #6
SL1

Weshoot2,

I use Speer and Ranier bullets, but have never tried to reproduce the "feel" of the Speer factory ammo with Ranier bullets because of the cautions to use lead bullet data with plated-type bullets. Although the warnings are usually stated in terms of velocity, I have interpretted them to mean don't use too much pressure to push them to high velocities. That is, I am not worrying about getting to too high a velocity due to something like barrel length, but rather getting to too high velocity by putting too much stress on the bullet during the pressure peak.

So, I am wondering if somebody on this forum can tell us about successfully using Ranier or Berry's 115 grain plated bullets to get to the 1200+ fps velocity that the OP is looking for in his 9mm.

SL1
Old February 17, 2010, 09:12 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

Rainiers and me

I've driven Rainier 124g TCJ-RN to over 175 PF in both 9x19 and 9x21.......

I've driven Rainier 151g TCJ-RN and 158g TCJ-FN to over 175 PF in 357 Magnum.

I've driven 135g and 180g TCJ-FN to over 175 PF in both 40 and 10mm.

I'm fairly certain something about my manufacturing process keeps the plating from stripping at elevated velocities.

I load certain Speer 'plated' bullets (all "JHP") in some defense loads to extreme velocities, too.

But the only 115g 9mm bullets I use are for defense loads; all 'fun' ammo starts with bullets weighing at least 124g.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8
SL1

Weshhoot2,

Thanks, that is good to know. I had seen some really hot data for Ranier bulets in the Acurate Powders manual, but had shied away from them due to warnings I had seem elsewhere. I'll try pushing some faster in my 357 Sig. How do you think the 125 grain 9mms would stand up to 1400 fps?

Also, you wrote "my" manufacturing process. Are you the maker of Ranier bullets?

SL1
Old February 17, 2010, 10:08 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

in no particular order.....

I am NOT the manufacturer of Rainier bullets, but I used to commercially manufacture (mostly extreme-performance) handgun ammo.

Accurate data is excellent.

I believe-but-cannot-prove that the specific bore one drives Rainiers through contributes the most to their performance, so it is difficult to know (vs "guess") how those 125s will work at 1400 from your gun.
Worth testing?

(After making some, pull a couple bullets to examine how YOUR process is deforming them; less is probably better.)

I first shoot lotsa ammo from my guns, THEN I 'treat' the bores with Tetragun Oil.
Seems to help......
Old February 17, 2010, 11:39 AM   #10
RidgwayCO

I carry Speer 124gr GDHP +P ammo that I bought on sale a couple of years ago. For practice loads, I've been able to duplicate its performance (velocity) with a Hornady 124gr FMJ-Encapsulated bullet loaded over either Alliant Power Pistol or VihtaVuori 3N37. My top choice is 3N37, because it does its work without all the muzzle flash that Power Pistol is known for. As far as duplicating the felt recoil, I'm just not sensitive enough to tell the difference...

My suggestion is to chronograph your carry load, and then work up a jacketed bullet reload that duplicates the velocity using either Power Pistol or 3N37. To save money, you might think about a bulk purchase of Montana Gold 115gr jacketed bullets.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:42 PM   #11
WESHOOT2

Ridgeway CO

Ditto Montana Gold (I regularly choose-n-use their .356" 130g for my personal non-social 9mm ammo).
Ditto 3N37 as the ultimate 9x19 powder choice.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Boomba

Excellent, thanks for all the info guys!

In 8-15 days I'll stock up on reloading supplies.
Old February 18, 2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Zak Smith

An old VV loading manual had published data that met or exceeded Speer GD 124gr +P ballistics using VV-3N37. I posted a thread or two many years ago here or on THR with the chrono data.