The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 16, 2012, 04:42 PM   #26
weblance

A J frame or Ruger LCR if you want a revolver, or one of the small pocket rockets(32acp or 380) in your pocket. I like my KelTec P32. It is perfectly reliable, has a last shot hold open, carries 7+1 or 10+1, and weighs 6oz unloaded. Its easy to control(as opposed to the tiny 380s) and I can get follow up shots on target easily and quickly. Dont let the Big Boom Guys tell you the 32acp is crap. It might not be as capable as some other cartridges to make a one shot stop, but believe me, 11 shots of 32acp will stop anything.

My P32 with 10 shot magazine and TR1 Armalaser...

7 shot magazine

Last edited by weblance; December 16, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:56 PM   #27
coyota1

weblance, that has to be one of the ugliest pistols I have seen, but I bet it fits in the pocket well.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:12 PM   #28
weblance

It simply disappears in your pocket, even with the 10 shot magazine. The Armalaser is an instant on laser, like a Crimson Trace. Its a fast, lightweight, powerful little protector. Yeah I think its Ugly too... but I like it.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:58 PM   #29
coyota1

On closer observation the trigger guard is different. Other than that it would look similar in size to a Beretta Bobcat.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Dr_2_B

Oh CUMMON BfloBill!

I spend 20 minutes fashioning this nice, kind, unassuming suggestion that he start leaving his shirt untucked... guaranteed not to offend. And you just blast him between the eyes, "LEAVE YER FRIGGIN SHIRT UNTUCKED!"

Heh heh yeah that was priceless.

Last edited by Dr_2_B; December 16, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:15 PM   #31
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyota1
On closer observation the trigger guard is different. Other than that it would look similar in size to a Beretta Bobcat
It is similar in size, but is half as thick as my Bobcat. And alot lighter.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:22 PM   #32
salvadore

I carry a S&W Shield in a Fobus paddle holster, easy on, easy off. Think about hawaiian shirts or a longer jacket, and not a budget killer.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:42 AM   #33
jason_iowa

Get what you want and figure out how to conceal it. I would also stay away from 380 and 40. I don't care for 9 mil either but I think its better then the other 2. I think I could probably conceal 10 SR9s on my person I have a few inches and a hundred lbs on ya though.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:33 AM   #34
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
I like the S&W 642. At 15 oz it doesn't pull my pants off like heavier guns.
A little off. The LC9 is only 17oz.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:14 AM   #35
BfloBill

Dr 2 B - I didn't mean to blast him, but it's true. It is easier to just leave your shirt untucked!

I am about 5'5" and 135, almost the same exact size as the OP, and unless they come out with some smaller guns, pocket carry just isn't an option.

It probably never crosses an average sized persons mind (why would it?), but if your pants are of a significantly smaller size so are your pockets!

I wish I could pocket carry, but have found that in IWB or a good high ride pancake holster are best for my build. With that you either wear a cover garment or untuck your shirt.

Or maybe someone will start manufacturing extra small mouse guns designed for midget pocket carry!
Old December 17, 2012, 06:24 PM   #36
Dr_2_B

Quote:
It probably never crosses an average sized persons mind (why would it?), but if your pants are of a significantly smaller size so are your pockets!
Good point. And you are correct.

And to the OP again, if a person is willing to alter that one dressing convention, it opens up a world of capabilities.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:29 PM   #37
lapetrarca53

I'm 5' 5" and 145lbs. myself and I've found that for my size, I can conceal this gun very easily no matter what I'm wearing..........

Old December 18, 2012, 02:39 PM   #38
ClydeFrog

My input....

From the details on your post, I'd suggest a simple, robust DA only .357magnum revolver snub like a Ruger SP101 or LCR. If you want a semi auto pistol, check out a Beretta PX4 C format in .40 or 9x19mm. Other well made pistols include a SIG P290, P224 or P229R DAK model. The LEM(Law Enforcement Modification or DA only) HK pistols; P30 P2000 HK45c etc could do well too but they are not cheap.
As a new handgun owner, I'd choose a hammer fired over a striker format(Glock Kahr M&P XDm etc). As you improve & gain skills you can upgrade to a Glock or M&P for concealed carry.
Keep your firearm clean & check it often. Dust, grit, rust & oil(s) can cause jams or misfires. Learn to prepare your weapons & related gear(spare mags white light knife OC spray etc BEFORE you leave off.

As a wise gun press writer once put; "Gunfights make terrible classrooms."

Stay safe;
Clyde
Old December 19, 2012, 06:58 AM   #39
sserdlihc

I tuck in my shirt as well. Also wear a buttoned down shirt over it untucked, also wear alot of sweat shirts during the winter. (no printing)
Summer carry cargo shorts and t-shirts. I change my firearm to more of a pocket carry.
If you end up with a pocket pistol, use a pocket holster of sometype. It will help protect the firearm from grit that accumolates in your pocket.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:28 AM   #40
JimDandy

You don't have to go the vest or jacket route, though a getting a carry cover garment is a good idea for when the weather cooperates. Look for "wind shirts" as a good start.

I can wear a full size 1911 with a bobtail in an IWB holster over an undershirt, and under one of those super thin Nike Dri-fit t shirts. The trick to concealability is really the holster, and a bare minimum cover garment.