The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 12, 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
STAGE 2

Wiley Clapp GP100

I love the concept of this revolver (and think it would have been perfect with a 3.5" barrel) and would like to pick one up (so I can add a 3.5" barrel). However I keep looking at the topstrap, specifically the part where they milled it out to fit the novak, and it just looks way thin.

For regular shooting I realize this is probably academic, but on a gun whos biggest selling point is its near indestructibility, does anyone else think that removing this much metal from such a high stress area could be a liability for either frame stretching or worse in the unlikely event someone wasn't careful with a reload?
Old March 12, 2012, 04:17 AM   #2
kcub

You should be able to get a pre-jacked up Smith or a Colt Lawman for that amount of money. Either would be more collectible and higher quality.
Old March 12, 2012, 05:59 AM   #3
P-990

STAGE 2, I'd say if you want it and have the money, get it and don't worry about it. I suspect the engineers at Ruger have tested it to destruction and are confident the decrease in top-strap thickness doesn't compromise the strength of the revolver.

In the event of an overloaded reload, Ruger isn't liable (you do read the print in the manuals that says "Do not use reloaded ammunition", right?"). And in any event, a load that takes apart a Clapp-edition GP-100 would probably have taken out a regular GP-100 or Blackhawk too. Contrary to popular opinion, Rugers aren't indestructable, and if you're shooting loads that are wearing out a .357, you should have gotten a .44...
Old March 12, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
LH2

I figure the engineers know what they're doing.

I'm waiting for the blue version to come out myself.
Old March 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Venom1956

the top strap for all fixed sight GPs are like this. my 4" hasn't had a problem
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 12, 2012, 04:23 PM   #6
publius

somebody post a pic!
Old March 12, 2012, 06:34 PM   #7
STAGE 2

Quote:
I figure the engineers know what they're doing.
And the captain of the titanic probably thought the same thing. I fully recognize that anything can be destroyed. However there are many stories of ruger revolvers taking abuse such as mistakenly over charged loads with no issue, that would have damaged smiths and other pistols.

I'm wondering if removing such material compromises this type of durability

Quote:
the top strap for all fixed sight GPs are like this. my 4" hasn't had a problem
No they aren't. If you look at the top strap on the standard GP, it has the trench sight cutout, but still has substantial beef on each side of the trench. The WC GP has loads of thickness through out the top strap (even more so than standard rugers) except where it was milled to fit the novak. This is exceptionally thin over the entire width of the topstrap and will be the point of failure if it does occur.

I just dont know whether it is enough metal to still be within the real of the academic or whether its thin enough to make a noticable difference as far as stretching or inadvertent abuse.
Old March 12, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8
GP100man

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Wiley...E1sD-Bw&zoom=1
Old March 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

That does appear to be a lot of metal removed, but I can't imagine that it is cause for alarm. The GP isn't indestructible with or without that metal removed so if you want this gun, and dont abuse it, I'd feel safe buying it.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Venom1956

Quote:
No they aren't.
I stand corrected. I can see what you mean seems like the milled all of the trench sides off. I thought you were referring to the roundness vs adj squarish topstrap.

what part of it being that thin concerns you the flame cutting or just the over all stress from heavy loads.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 12, 2012, 10:32 PM   #11
STAGE 2

Quote:
That does appear to be a lot of metal removed, but I can't imagine that it is cause for alarm.
I dont think the gun is unsafe, but from an engineering standpoint you cant remove that much metal and retain the same strength.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #12
STAGE 2

Quote:
what part of it being that thin concerns you the flame cutting or just the over all stress from heavy loads.
Heavy loads.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Auto426

Quote:
And the captain of the titanic probably thought the same thing.
That's not exactly an apt comparison. We're talking about a product that can be stress tested both virtually (with computer modeling) and physically (with proof loads) before it goes to market. Engineers can easily determine how much stress the top strap will have to endure and how much stress the materials they use can endure, and design firearms accordingly.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are sticking to factory loaded or recommended loadings from published reloading manuals you should be fine. Going beyond that is asking for trouble, thin top strap or not.

Quote:
hat part of it being that thin concerns you the flame cutting or just the over all stress from heavy loads.
Flame cutting will only occur at the front of the top strap by the forcing cone, and as such, isn't an issue.
Old March 13, 2012, 12:12 AM   #14
STAGE 2

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are sticking to factory loaded or recommended loadings from published reloading manuals you should be fine. Going beyond that is asking for trouble, thin top strap or not.
Then why build the standard GP with such massive proportions?
Old March 13, 2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Auto426

Quote:
Then why build the standard GP with such massive proportions?
Probably because it's gives Ruger's guns the image of brute strength, which is what they are famous for and one of their key selling points.
Old March 13, 2012, 02:40 AM   #16
Venom1956

Quote:
Flame cutting will only occur at the front of the top strap by the forcing cone, and as such, isn't an issue.
Thats what I was kinda getting at. If it was flame cutting he was worried about.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:53 AM   #17
gunluver

I don't worry about mine. But then again, I only shoot loads within spec.

Old March 13, 2012, 08:59 AM   #18
seeker_two

Unless you're loading your cases with substances best left inside a thermonuclear device, your Ruger will safely handle it. Besides, there is a way to tell if your loads are getting too hot for a Ruger....your wrist will snap & your forehead will develop a front-sight-shaped indention.....
Old March 23, 2012, 03:11 PM   #19
dgludwig

Nice looking revolver, gunluver. I'm wondering if the TALO version is actually stainless steel with a coating; stainless steel with a unique matte finish or carbon steel with a coating? Also, I've been looking at one at my local gun shop. They are asking $629.99 for one. Does that price seem to be a fair one?

Last edited by dgludwig; March 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:07 PM   #20
gunluver

It's bead-blasted stainless according to Ruger.

I paid just over $600 for mine, so 629 isn't too far off.
Old March 24, 2012, 09:46 AM   #21
EdInk

You are worrying over nothing. You could probably remove even more metal from the top strap and still have it be perfectly safe. It's a darn good looking gun and I bet the 3.5" barrel balances almost perfectly. I have a 4.2" blued GP100 and find it "just a tad" nose heavy. I feel is due to the full underlug. (One day, I may send it off to get slabsided or have the underlug cut.) It's not really a big deal thought and still feels better than most other .357 service wheelies.

Also, I give them kudos for using the old-style (Lett) factory rubber grips. I wonder if Hogue, TALO, or Ruger bought/copied the mold design? I know they aren't surplus rubber with new wood because they have the "WC" logo on the backstrap. (Lett out of business a few years ago, hence the switch to the standard Hogue Monogrip.) Regardless, I think most people will prefer it. The only way they could have done better is to have used the "compact grip" that came on the 3" and fixed sight models. (These were the ones that used SP101 insert panels.) I have a pair on my GP100 and think they are great.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Crazy88Fingers

If there was any chance of this thing blowing off someone's hand, there's no way Ruger would have let it out the door.

They've been making some pretty good profits this year. No point in spending it all on lawyers.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Crankgrinder

please dont tell me this is the way gps are going in general
Old March 27, 2012, 05:38 PM   #24
Super Sneaky Steve

I bet even with the thinner top strap it's still stronger than anything S&W makes.

But, I like my guns as thick as a brick. I don't have to trickle my max loads because I know if I'm a few tenths of a grain over my GP can handle it.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:32 PM   #25
czf

Any pics of a blued one yet?

How are those SS one holding up for you guys?
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/