The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2009, 02:18 PM   #1
england

cases sticking-lee rifle full-lenght resizing die

the cases will only go about halfway in the die, and they get stuck. with some force they pop back out. they're well lubricated. the decapping pin doesn't even reach the spent primer. its not the neck resizer, its the case resizing part thats stuck. ive tried more than one case, with the same result. there is no debris in the die and the case is clean. im using .243 cases and .243 dies, the cases have been chamfered, i just got the dies, so the've never worked. so whats wrong here? i tried to call lee today but it wont even ring
Old June 2, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Nate1778

Make sure you lube the inside of the neck as well. I find with rifle brass that is first being run through a die the first time, it takes a lot of lube then I run it up into the die til I feel "the catch". Then back it out and go back up, this time a bit further. repeat this til finally the brass goes all the way up. Sometime it takes 6-10 pulses. As the lube gets into the die it becomes less. Once the brass matches your die, you should be able to cycle it in one pump. Just be careful to know when a pump has gone far enough, otherwise you get a stuck case. Just keep in mind what is going on in that die. Some brass you are completely re-shaping, so little bits at a time makes it easier.
Old June 2, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Alleykat

If these are new dies, make sure the "bleeder" hole is clear. Run a paper clip through it, or something similar. Also, make sure that you're not using too much lube. I lightly spray my .243 cases with Hornady One Shot, with the cases lying flat. I don't lube the inside of case mouths.
Old June 2, 2009, 03:14 PM   #4
england

well im guessing after about 50 tries one should decide to return the die?
Old June 2, 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Alleykat

Only if you've made sure that the "bleeder" hole is clear and that you're not using too much lube. All dies don't have a bleeder hole. Can't remember whether Lees do or not.
Old June 2, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6
howlnmad

Yep, Lee dies do have a bleeder
Old June 3, 2009, 04:40 PM   #7
30Cal

What kind of lube and what kind of press?
Old June 3, 2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Sport45

Make sure the top of the decapping rod is about even with the top of the jam nut that holds it in place. If the decapper is adjusted too high the neck expanding button may be up inside the neck sizing part of the die. There won't be enough room for the neck in between the two if that's the case.
Old June 3, 2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Well Regulated

Spray some One Shot into the die. I believe the directions say to do this.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Alleykat

Or, post a question on here and DON'T take anybody's advice!!
Old June 4, 2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I like Sport45's answer. The last Lee sizing die I got uses their long body expander. It would be easy to get that too far up in the die and cause the case mouth to jam and stick. It's easy to test. Just remove the decapper/expander completely and see if you can size a case without them? If so, that part's position is the issue. You would then need to get it right to remove a fired primer and to bring the case mouth out to its correct ID, but the test will diagnose whether the problem is the decapper/expander position or a faulty sizing die?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 6, 2009, 03:17 PM   #12
england

im using the lee classic turret press and c.l.p. theres a new problem. we bought another set and built a new bench. the die was working fine, until it ripped the rim off of one of the cases. tried the thing on lees site it says to do, but it didnt budge. me and dad both beat the crap outa this thing in more ways than one and it didnt work.couldnt remove the decapping pin either. needless to say the poor things pin is useless now, even if we do remove it. figured id give the last bunch a shot before we sent them off. embarrassingly enough it decided to work, until the same thing happened. tried what lees site says, didnt work. havent screwed this one up yet. what do i do?
Old June 6, 2009, 03:37 PM   #13
flashhole

Do you have any pictures you can share?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 6, 2009, 04:02 PM   #14
england

not sure what good they will do. the jam nut is screwed out, but it was preset dead even with the top of the pin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 070.jpg (266.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 071.jpg (235.3 KB, 53 views)
Old June 6, 2009, 04:18 PM   #15
snuffy

Quote:
im using the lee classic turret press and c.l.p.
CLP? You gotta be kidding. Those letters mean Cleaner, Lubricant, Penetrant. NOT a good lube for case sizing, it's too thin. You need a real case sizing lube like Imperial sizing wax or RCBS case lube 2 or case slick spray.

Once you get those dies fixed, either by sending them to the manufacturer, or getting a stuck case remover kit, get some real case lube, you'll love how much better things go.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 6, 2009, 05:14 PM   #16
flashhole

You have your decapper adjusted too far down. It should protrude through the flash hole just below the case bottom when the case is fully sized, just enought to push the primer out. I will second the vote for some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It's all I use any more. One tin lasts for thousands of rounds.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 6, 2009, 11:21 PM   #17
30Cal

Quote:
im using the lee classic turret press and c.l.p.

Get a case lube. CLP is NOT a case lube.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:02 AM   #18
rogn

Dont know where you are if youre here in US get some STP put on stamp pad and roll cases over it. want light coat all over case. handle them abit to en sure "light coat". This is the best combo for stuborn or oversized or case forming. Spraylubes are suspect the others are great, but right now staiten out the problem. If you are in UK(england?), try to obtain some anhydous lanolin and use a tiny bit spread with the fingers all over the case(this is one of the absolute best lubes for high metal to metal resistance bar none, but hard to find in US). If the cases dont size with either of these lubes you may want to try cases fired in differnt rifle or do a chamber cast of your own. You could have an abnormal nonstandard chamber -AI or othr improved.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:06 AM   #19
Slamfire

Quote:
Get a case lube. CLP is NOT a case lube

+1

Try RCBS water soluble or Imperial sizing wax.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:12 AM   #20
CrustyFN

Loosen the jam nut for the decapping pin and drive the pin and case out with a punch. Reinstall the pin and use some real case lube and you will be fine.
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...k%20case-1.wmv

Rusty
Old June 7, 2009, 10:27 PM   #21
A/C Guy

Quote:
needless to say the poor things pin is useless now, even if we do remove it. figured id give the last bunch a shot before we sent them off. embarrassingly enough it decided to work, until the same thing happened. tried what lees site says, didnt work. havent screwed this one up yet. what do i do?
Do what Lee says. Send it back to them with $4 and they will fix it for you. Leave the stuck case in it and just ship it back.(I think in extreme cases, they just give you a new die.)