The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Lubing handcast bullets... new to me... got a few questions

so... I'm not new to reloading, but lubrisized my 1st handcast bullets ( I didn't cast them... not quite there yet )

my "mentor" ( a retired tool & die guy ) makes his own lube... my lubrisizer was mounted on a 2X6 to clamp onto the reloading bench as needed...

I was able to use my buddys blend ( a machinery lube & bees wax blend )... he claims I shouldn't need a heater... but maybe I keep the air conditioning colder at my house, as I couldn't get the lube to fill the top groove fully without runing the ram up & down 2-3 times... I'm pretty sure I got the depth set right... & if anything had too much lube pressure, as I get some pushing past the bullet... thought about putting a clip on heat lamp bulb on the luber when I use it...

anyway... curious whay you guys use to lube for smokeless loads... if it requires heating, how do you heat it... here in MN, it can both extremely cold, & extremely hot & humid... so I feel I need to find just the right balance of lube thickness

2nd question... what the heck is Alox ??? I have some Lee liquid Alox... but have also seen lube sticks with Alox, & advertised as Alox free

being a "modern guy" I can appreciate moly lubes... but since I'm shooting traditional guns ( I'm currently lubing some hand cast bullets I got as part of the package that came with a 40-65 rolling block ) I'm also inclined to look at traditional lubes, so long as they work with my range of shooting, & with smokeless powders
Old August 29, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2
243winxb

To lube the top groove, i adjust the Lyman 450 so the bullet goes into the die deeper. 50/50 Alox/Bees wax from http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/ works for me. No heat. From the above link>
Quote:
MSDS for Alox 350 and Alox 606-55HF
Alox 350 is used in our 50-50, Xlox 2500+ and BAC lubes.
We also repackage Alox 350 into 1 qt. cans for other lube makers.

Alox 606-55HF is used in our Liquid Xlox lube.
The MSDS sheets are provided by Lubrizol, who manufactures Alox 350 and Alox 606-55HF.
The names Alox and Lubrizol are registered trademarks of the Lubrizol corp.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
mikld

Alox is a metal coating/preservitive that long ago someone discovered works well as a bullet lubricant The formula has changed over the years, but liquid (not really a liquid, more of a very thick molassis to a pudding-like consistancy) alox is still good for bullet lube. Some have used it in rifles to over 2500 fps, and I've used it in heavy .44 Magnum loads. 50/50 Lube has proven to be a very good all around bullet lube (50% Alox - 50% Beeswax). Some complain that using alox is messy and it doesn't dry, but I have been thinning alox with mineral spirits and it dries quickly and not sticky and it's as messy as I am (use common sense and it's not at all messy). There are different ways to apply alox; "swirling/tumble" around in a Cool Whip type container to coat bullets, a baggie with alox and bullets squished around until bullets are coated, and dip lubing; just dip the bullets in thinned alox and set aside to dry. Works for me...

Last edited by mikld; August 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM.