The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 11:03 PM   #26
K_Mac

I own a couple of Ruger handguns, and the lawyer speak on the barrel/slide doesn't bother me at all. They do what I bought them to do at a reasonable price. There are many fine manufacturers out there to choose from. God bless America!

I also find the attack on unions in general to be offensive. Whether I support them or not isn't the issue. It is an issue that has nothing to do with the topic, and little to do with firearms. I love a good political or religious debate, but have found that the interwebz is a poor place for intelligent, spirited discussion of these subjects.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:18 AM   #27
kcub

I think the warnings are inadequate. You can still kill yourself if you aren't careful. Further, there are an increasingly number of Spanish speaking people so we need a Spanish version as well.

Old September 11, 2012, 07:00 AM   #28
BlueTrain

Ja, und Manche sprechen auch Deutsch. So why don't guns from Germany come with warnings?
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 11, 2012, 07:28 AM   #29
K_Mac

Blue Train I live in a very German part of the country. My little old wife is of German descent. I think Germans should come with written warnings...
Old September 11, 2012, 07:35 AM   #30
Katsumi Liquer

The current amount of lawyerspeak on their barrels doesn't bother me quite yet, but I'll definitely be complaining when they start adding "THIS END TOWARD TARGET" near the muzzle.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:46 AM   #31
Olympus

Smith and Wesson puts a similar warning on the sides of their 1911s. What's worse is that they use a contrasting color lettering so that it really stands out on the slide. Makes me ill.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:53 AM   #32
RedBowTies88

Quote:
Since they've been unable to overturn the second amendment
Ain't it the truth.

The warning on my 22/45 bull barrel looks absolutely terrible
Old September 11, 2012, 06:11 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

"So why don't guns from Germany come with warnings?"

Because the lawsuits in the U.S. didn't involve foreign companies. Ruger was faced with a choice - settle the case and comply with the court order for a warning on the guns, or watch the penalties drive the company into bankruptcy.

What would the people who decry the "vandalism" of firearms have done? If Ruger had gone under, would we be better off because they stood up for unmarked guns?

Jim
Old September 11, 2012, 09:10 PM   #34
Colorado Redneck

Agree with Jim

It looks like some of us are sensitive about what our gun manufacturers have endured. I don't like it, and in fact the whole climate in our country (the only place I know anything about) has become toxic to freedom.

Years ago in an OSHA training seminar, the handles on lawn mowers that have to be held or the motor dies came up. What happened (as all of you probably know) was a guy in California started his friggin lawn mower in the basement, and decided to carry the darn thing up the stairs while it was running. Now just how stupid can one get? Anyway, this genius injured his lil hands, and an ambulance chaser found him and sued the manufacturer and the guy and his lawyer got rich off the deal. Evidently the courts thought that manufacturers needed to take into account the less intelligent end users, so now lawn mowers all are fitted with that inconvenient GD handle. I agree with one of the prvious posts, it will probably get way more ridiculous berfore the lawyers have enough money. As one sage said on stage: "Ya can't fix stupid."
Old September 11, 2012, 10:42 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

The explanation is easy. Gun snobs don't buy Rugers.
Rugers market is upper middle class and people who want long term utility, not perfect bluing. People who want it at a value. Why did they cut production of almost all their blued revolvers when S&W still offers many? People who want the look shop elsewhere.

The bean counters and lawyers had a meeting and produced a report:
"Without this disclaimer on the barrel we need to raise prices $50 per gun to offset lawsuit costs."
Ruger said "mar the barrel"
S&W stole a copy of the report and said "Raise it $50"
Old September 12, 2012, 09:12 PM   #36
Sharpsdressed Man

I have always considered the warning to be ugly, and detracting greatly from the aesthetics of ANY gun. I heartily thank Ruger for now putting it under the barrel, where we have to TRY to look for it. My only suggestion would be to make it even SMALLER.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:52 PM   #37
Gaz_in_NZ

Doesn't this warning presuppose that people are going to read the barrel? The barrel says "read the manual", but does the manual also say "read the barrel"?

Anyone who needs a warning that a firearm is dangerous shouldn't be let out into society without at least 2 people to take care of them and stop them sticking forks and other assorted cutlery in live electrical sockets and from putting their hands in fire????

What next, point this end towards target, things that go bang go in here, pull this bit to make it go boom?

Lawyers and bureaucrats strike again!!! Bunch of overpaid, under-worked B@#$@$#s who wouldn't know what a real job was if it jumped up and bit them on the a**!!!!

Cheers
G
Old September 12, 2012, 10:02 PM   #38
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suppose it's reading material for the toilet?

Actually, it's because of a lawsuit. Ridiculous that they were ever sued.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:57 PM   #39
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
So you know guns are dangerous.
I don't know this at all. Not a single one of my guns has ever discharged itself without my, or another user's, help. I've never seen them meeting at night to plot to overthrow my gun locker either.

For the most part they're just very good high quality rock chuckers that are modern descendant of throwing stones at an opponent. They just throw .30 cal FMJ stones really fast. (Or 9mm, or whatever.)

I saw the rolly eyes, so I know it was a joke. But I still react. Some of my cousins honestly believe a gun dreams about murdering people like it has a mind of its own I think.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:45 PM   #40
FLChinook

Warnings on barrels in Spanish... I hadn't thought about that. Maybe the Administrator of this Forum should delete this thread before some lawyer reads it and gets the idea

I was wondering if maybe we should vet lawyers from TFL but then I remembered having to answer a math question as part of the sign-up; something like "if x+y=5 and x=3, what is y?"... That test should be enough to eliminate any lawyer!
Old September 13, 2012, 05:09 AM   #41
BlueTrain

I have owned two guns that killed people, so they are at least mildly dangerous.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:06 AM   #42
stuckinCali

kcub
Quote:
I think the warnings are inadequate. You can still kill yourself if you aren't careful. Further, there are an increasingly number of Spanish speaking people so we need a Spanish version as well.

hahaha! "ALTO"

..running as fast as you can, head first into a brick wall is dangerous.. they should stamp brick walls with warnings
Old September 13, 2012, 08:51 AM   #43
Don P

Quote:
What's involved in removing such a deep embossment? Shop grinder (just joking )? Gunsmith? Removal of barrel to turn in lathe?
Here is what I did with my GP 100
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; January 10, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:03 PM   #44
Stressfire

Quote:
Here is what I did with my GP 100
Nicely done, but how? Assume I do not have a machine shop in my garage, which I do not. I do have the SS version though, so no bluing to worry about
Old September 13, 2012, 04:30 PM   #45
tipoc

According to "Ruger and His Guns" by R.L. Wilson in July 1976 Sturm Ruger and Co. was found liable in an Alaskan courtroom for injuries sustained by a man named Day who was using a Ruger Blackhawk. The court ordered Ruger to pay 2.3 million dollars to Day. The case was remanded for a new trial and settled out of court I believe. But the publicity opened a floodgate of new lawsuits against Ruger.

When Ruger went to the New Model Blackhawk with the transfer bar safety lawyers saw that as "proof" that something was wrong with the original Colt like action on the Old Models and used that to sue.

In response Ruger went on an aggressive marketing campaign to promote safety which resulted in, among other things, the warning on the barrels.

This type of litigation reached it's peak in 1979 and has been declining since then. In reality less than 6/100ths of 1 percent of the 1.5 million Old Models made were ever involved in any claim of accidental injury from the 1950s when they began till 1996 when Wilson's book was published.

The number of suits against the manufacturers of any firearm has been declining for about 20 years now. Mostly because they lose and courts are not friendly to them. That does not stop the threat of them though. Mayors threaten it at times.

Bill Ruger acted proactively with their safety campaign. No one mandated the warning on the barrels. This was voluntary to ward off lawsuits.

Ruger supported the Clinton ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds for the same reason. While he ran the company no Ruger firearm was made for sale to civilians with more than a 10 round mag.

Ruger once said..."firearms accidents used to be limited to those occasional lapses of common sense for which there is no real protection. Now, some people thing that guns, like electric toasters, are meant to be foolproof. That kind of thinking has no place around firearms. There is no such thing as a foolproof gun."

tipoc
Old September 13, 2012, 05:26 PM   #46
Gaz_in_NZ

In reality you can make most things "foolproof" but there isn't anything on the planet that you can make "idiot-proof".

It is the ramifications of the escalation of this type of lawyer/bureaucrat lunacy that really worries me.

How about signs put up on beaches saying "Swimming can cause death by drowning".

We don't need warnings on everything we buy, 99.99% of us are more than intelligent enough to know what is dangerous and what is not and I take these multitude of warnings as a total insult to my intelligence, as for the other 0.01%... well if they decide to remove their DNA from the gene pool by whatever means then so be it... the population of the planet will reap benefits from such action, although there wouldn't be as many lawyers and politicians around.

just what type of warnings should (by the same standards) be stamped all over a car?

The best warning anyone can have is "don't eat yellow snow".

Cheers
G
Old September 13, 2012, 08:38 PM   #47
orionengnr

I seem to recall that Shakespeare had something to say about lawyers...
Old September 13, 2012, 08:59 PM   #48
fdreano

Lawyers want you to believe you should have a risk free life. And that anything bad that happens to you must be somebody else's fault..
Old September 13, 2012, 11:40 PM   #49
silvermane_1

"I think the warnings are inadequate. You can still kill yourself if you aren't careful. Further, there are an increasingly number of Spanish speaking people so we need a Spanish version as well."

i think that reason that laywer hasn't jump on the "warnings in Spanish" would probably due to the fact that whom they're representing probably
has "alien resident" issues IMHO.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old September 13, 2012, 11:50 PM   #50
fdreano

One of my favorite lines of all times in the movies....

Wesley Snipes as "Blade" runs into a room full of vampires except one of them looks different.

He says to that person, "You're human!"
The man responds, "Barely, I'm a lawyer."