The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 21, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1
hudson69

.44 Mag for Elk

Hola,
I am actively looking for a hunting rifle but due to budget I was going to use my Super-Blackhawk in .44 mag.

I don't mind not getting one (tag) because I wasn't able to be sneaky enough to get in close for a good shot but I don't want to get a "good" shot and still have the animal only be injured and run 10 miles before dropping.

I have successfully hunted mule deer with my handgun but never hunted Elk at all.

Opinions appreciated; especially in regard to choice of ammo and best range(s).

John Wayne
Old July 21, 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Kestrel4k

With regards to ammo, I'd look into Hornady FTX ammo (best trajectory w/ highest B.C.) and Buffalo Bore or Garrett hard-cast (excellent penetration).
Old July 21, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
mete

For jacketed factory loaded - Corbon DPX [barnes all copper,], Federal Swift A-frame 280 gr, And I think Speers Deep Curl is available factory loaded.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Sounds like you are an experienced pistol shooter and that is the key. There are many good bullets available today. Take yer pick. Just get close and good luck.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:29 AM   #5
ZeroJunk

I think the range would be the distance you could consistently hit a dinner plate. If you get behind the diaphram you will lose your elk with most anything unless you have enough snow to follow him for a few hours. But, where you could get away with a shoulder shot using a proper size rifle and good bullets I doubt you could penetrate it with a 44 Mag. So, a quartering toward you shot would be a bad idea. That's the way we look at bow hunting for elk. If you get in to the shoulder you are likely to lose your elk even though the heart might be right behind it.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
mete

The DPX I used on a 250 lb red deer [like our elk] smashed through a rib, hit a glancing blow to a vertabrae went through both lungs , smashed through another rib and stopped against the hide on the other side.
I hope to try the A-frame Federal load this fall as I bought some.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:25 AM   #7
elkman06

After investing in a elk hunt, it would feel terrible to you to consistently see elk at say 150yds and never be able to drop one. I say either purchase a reasonably priced rifle or at least borrow one from a friend for a backup, or second choice at getting the animal.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"