The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2009, 08:14 AM   #1
TedK

Winchester 30-06 misfire

I recently purchased a used Winchester 30-06 model 70 and fired a box of remington 180 grain rounds with no misfires or problems. The grouping was actually quite nice. I was told I should problaly be using 150-165 grain for whitetail deer. Yesterday I purchased a box of Winchester 30-06 165 grain and the first round misfired on me. I was wondering of the misfire is most likely due to a dirty rifle (firing pin) or a bad primer in the round? I do not want the misfire to happen again in the field looking at a wall hanger running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tedk
Old November 6, 2009, 08:35 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You did thoroughly clean the rifle?
was that the only one you tried or just the only one that misfired?
what did the primer look like after the misfire? Fully dented would likely be a bad round but a light strike could be the dirt.
Brent
Old November 6, 2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If it's a full-strike depth in the primer, email the manufacturer for their instructions. They commonly want the box of ammo, and will send freebies in replacement.

If it's a light strike, HogDogs is correct: Disassemble the bolt (or have it done) and make sure it's clean inside. A field expedient would be to soak and then slosh the bolt around in some gasoline. Follow up with a very light spray of gun oil and wipe it down. Then, re-test. But disassembly and inspection is best.
Old November 6, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
F. Guffey

I would discourage the use of gasoline for anything but an internal combustion engine from an approved gas tank. Again, new rifle, new R-P ammo, of the 20, 5 did not fire even though two attempts were made in the new rifle and another attempt was made in another rifle at the range, a friend at the range called me, I suggested the rifle maneuver and R-P be notified, seems more mileage could be had if all involved blamed R-P ammo. My friend came over with all 20 cases, magnificent 1st fired cases, the 5 that did not fire were taken apart including primer removal, weighed, measured and compared, very little difference between fired and unfired cases when checked in a chamber gage.

I seated the primers back into the unfired cases, chambered the primer only cases in a P/M 1914/17 Enfield and fired all 5 one after the other. The primers were struck at least 4 times each, removed and seated again then fired, when the cases were removed from the Enfield the primers were flush with the head of the case, so much for the firing pin driving the case forward and the case outrunning the firing pin, the stripped down case, without powder/bullet should have been able to accelerate faster without the weight, if that is what happens. I suggested calling the man with the new rifle/ammo problem, no contact information, I do believe all 20 rounds of R-P would have fired the first time in the X-military M/P 14/1917 Enfield, we will never know, the primers, if available, would work in a Lee auto hand primer, unless they are Federal.

F. Guffey
Old November 6, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
TedK

Thanks

Thank you very much for all the info. Until I can get home tonight to confirm problem, I am thinking it is a dirty firing pin.

Thank you,

Ted