The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2007, 12:04 PM   #26
geez768

i dont think it will turn out to be very popular with the military or any police i know of. my department wont be using it. i think it will turn out to be just a street gun. another good way to carry somthing small to shoot thru bullet proof vests.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:29 PM   #27
Hornett

Quote:
It was designed, with the use of restricted ammo, to defeat soft armor. As a civilian firearm, it's something of a novelty given the ammo restriction, but still a fun gun to learn about and to play with.
So, only the illegal steel and aluminum bullets will penetrate body armor? I think I am beginning to get it more better. I think I will go with the CZ52, 7.62X25, as a personal novelty gun though. Much cheaper.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:58 PM   #28
Chui

It's fun. Like .22LR plinking fun. I don't have one nor am I interested in purchasing one. It has very little recoil and puts little bitty holes in paper. Cool!

As far as it's effectiveness per shot I have my doubts. But the recoil is so light, follow up shots so quick one could put a lot of hits on target. How effective it would be ina self-defense scenario when IMMEDIATE INCAPACITATION is req'd? I dunno. 9mm and .45 ACP are fine and are cheaper to shoot as well.
Old April 17, 2007, 02:03 PM   #29
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
i dont think it will turn out to be very popular with the military or any police i know of. my department wont be using it. i think it will turn out to be just a street gun. another good way to carry somthing small to shoot thru bullet proof vests.
Actually, the weapon is quite popular (both the P90 and FiveseveN). While FNH won't comment on all the agencies using the weapon systems for security reasons, it is well known that the Secret Service is using both the P90 and FiveseveN.

Here's a few other countries using the P90/FiveseveN:

Argentine Argentine Navy and Buzos Tácticos
Belgian Directorate of Special Units and Special Forces Group
Canadian Joint Task Force 2
Chilean Army, Infanteria Marina (Marine Corps) and special forces.
Cypriot National Guard
French GIGN and RAID
Greek Coast Guard
Indonesian Kopassus
Irish Army Ranger Wing
Russian Moscow Military Police
Malaysian Paskal
Mexican Navy and the Fuerzas Especiales unit
Netherlands The Bijzondere Bijstands Eenheid and Korps Commando Troepen CT-units
Pakistan Army Special Services Group
Panama Institutional Protective Service
Peruvian Navy special forces
Philippine Special Action Force; certain army units
Portuguese Special Operations Group units
Special units of the Royal Thai Army
Saudi Arabian special forces
Singaporean Commandos

These two weapons have been adopted by US LEO departments as well. The Richland County, South Carolina Sheriff's Department has been using them for a while. The Washington D.C. SWAT team has been using them too. I live in Indiana and the Indianapolis Police are using these two weapons.

As for another small pistol that can defeat soft armor, I guess you missed the part where AP ammo for these weapons is restricted and can't be purchased by civilians. That means it's nothing more than a high powered .22 that isn't able to defeat Threat Level III armor. I think you're safe.
Old April 19, 2007, 01:54 AM   #30
chrisandclauida2

Quote:
i dont think it will turn out to be very popular with the military or any police i know of. my department wont be using it. i think it will turn out to be just a street gun. another good way to carry something small to shoot thru bullet proof vests.
forgive if i hurt feelings as that is not my intent. this kind of ignorance is exactly what the gun banners try to push down throats. the same thing was said with black talon bullets. it is a load of crap and as a responsible gun owner one shouldn't talk without knowing the facts.

there is only one round that will penetrate soft armor. this is the basis of the whole 5.7 ammo/gun program. it was to be a PDW for non front line troops and to be effective against body armor in ways handguns dont. the armor perpetrator is unavailable to civilians.

since the round isnt available talking about it like it is shouldn't be done. the 5.7 hand gun isnt exactly small either. hell the whole statement sounds like it came of Sarah Brady's web site.