The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2000, 10:44 PM   #1
PDshooter

Hi folks, What are some of your tricks to reloading .223 for outstanding Accuracy. Bullet,Powder,Case, ect, thanks Jeff
Old June 27, 2000, 12:03 PM   #2
Reg

Getting a very accurate load combination out of a .223 is a very easy task in most cases. (assuming you are starting out with a quality rifle/scope combination)
There are tons of powders and bullets that work well in the .223. The ones I have tried so far have worked so well that I haven't even experimented with half of the recommendations I have been given or read about.
I have used the following powders with excellent success: W748, BLC2, IMR4198
The following bullets have all worked extremely well with the above powders: Speer HP "TNT" 50gr, Hornady V-max (40 & 50 gr), Sierra Blitzking 50gr, Nosler Ballistic Tip (40 & 50 gr), Hornady SXSP 55gr.
All of the above combinations were capable of at least 1/4 to 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds out of an unmodified Ruger bull barrel 223.
There are probably a dozen more powders that will work very well in .223, so buy whatever you like (or the cheapest you can find) and start experimenting.

[This message has been edited by Reg (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old June 27, 2000, 12:13 PM   #3
PDshooter

Thanks REG. I"am using V-Max 55grn, H-335 26.5grn, New barrel, Loather Walther on a Win, 70. Last Sunday I put 230rds down range. Best group was just 1" so-so? MIL, brass.
Old June 27, 2000, 04:20 PM   #4
WalterGAII

PD Shooter: Have you tried different seating depths, getting right on the lands, then backing off a little at a time?? Have you tried different loads of 335???
Old June 28, 2000, 10:21 AM   #5
Reg

Well PDshooter, H335 is one of the powders that I have heard works real well in .223, so I think you should be able to play with it a bit and get some better results than what you have seen so far.
As Walter mentioned, you may want to play with seating depths... that can make a huge difference in accuracy. Have you set your seating depth by the following method?...
Slightly squeeze the neck of a spent case so that it snugly grips a new bullet when you insert it into the case by hand. Gently chamber this dummy round. The idea is to have the bullet forced into the case when it contacts the rifling lands. Gently remove the round and measure it with calipers. (repeat this a few times to make sure your measurement is consistent) Now you know the max length your round can be... back off a little and you should be in the ball-park as to your seating depth. Play around with this and see what gives the best accuracy.

Definately play around with the powder charge. If you haven't been experimenting with this, then you will be surprised at the difference it will make. (Be sure to start low and work up to max charge for your rifle... don't exceed published max loads)
You said you are using military brass... keep in mind that the case volume is less with MIL brass, so your max will be with a lesser charge than commercial brass.

Just a few other things:
- make sure your brass is all trimmed to the same length.
- neck sizing only after your brass has been fired in the bolt rifle you are reloading for will give better accuracy.
- clean out primer pockets and debur flash holes.

If, after all the above, you still don't have good accuracy results, you may want to experiment with different powders and/or bullets.

..just my .02
Old June 29, 2000, 10:40 AM   #6
Banzai

Get the book "The Competative AR 15" even if you're not an AR shooter. It has a chapter that is big, big, BIG on information about reloading .223 for accuracy. Glen is buds with G. David Tubb, perhaps the most decorated highpower shooter competiting today, and he does a good review of powders, primers, cases, all the bullets available for .223, and combinations for accuracy loading.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!
Old June 29, 2000, 09:38 PM   #7
tonyz

Toms right the book is great!!

Tony z

------------------
Match grade Bullets at Kmart prices http://www.xmission.com/~chad/egs/co...hard_cast.html

also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited June 29, 2000).]