The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 4, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1
oldwyoguy

how can i remove the barrel from a savage model 99 to slug it?

greetings all, peace.. i need info to remove a barrel off a model 99 savage to find out its true caliber, 308 or 311. any input would be greatly appreciated. feel free to email me . this gun was a police officer friends grampa and he just wants to "experience" what his grampa did. he is a olde sentimentalist like me i guess...lol...anyways, thank you all ahead of time, and stay safe and strong,,keep your primers bright and shiny and your powder dry ..god bless america and all our brave warriors who defend her daily....
Old October 4, 2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Hawg

You don't need to take it off to slug it. Just drive a piece of soft lead through from the muzzle. Use a plastic or rawhide hammer to get it started and a wooden dowel to drive it through.
Old October 4, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I trust this is a .303 Savage.
As best I can find, they only made them in .311" for a very short time.
Ken Waters said his in the 43000 range (1903) has a .308" barrel.
Unless it is out of the first couple of years, I would load it up with .308" bullets and not worry about it.
Old October 4, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Gunplummer

Yeah, what he said. I still shoot a .303 take-down and load for it. I never checked when it was made, but it is an early one. I use .308 bullets. Odd that you mentioned Ken Waters because I made a spare barrel for mine in 7-30 Waters.

Last edited by Gunplummer; October 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old October 5, 2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

You need the proper tools to take the barrel off, and they are not cheap.

One thing you might try is a piece of buckshot press fit into the mouth of a case and a VERY small charge of smokeless powder like Unique or Red Dot, on the order of maybe a grain or two.

You'll need to set up a catch area, I've found a box full of layers of newspaper works well. You could also use a bucket of water and shoot straight down into it.

You'll need to be EXTREMELY careful, as this is still a potentially lethal combination.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 5, 2011, 04:32 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The only factory ammo you are likely to find will probably have .308 bullets. Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to slug the bore; just shoot .308 bullets and check the accuracy. If it is not good enough, you can try .311 bullets.

Jim