The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2013, 01:35 PM   #51
Strafer Gott

Well Willy, I really think you have a point there. However, just for my own satisfaction, I can buy firearms made outside of New England!
Old January 18, 2013, 02:19 PM   #52
Fishing_Cabin

I dont plan on boycotting NY State products, with the exception of not visiting.

Ive been to the plant in Ilion NY. Met many fine, friendly hard working folks...If I boycotted NY products it would only wind out hurting the little guys unfortunatly (just my view). The politicians wont notice for a min.

I would love to see these many firearm companies work toward moving to a state(s) with better laws toward firearm ownership, and to states that respect the manufacturing companies, who in turn, produce tax money for the state, as well as jobs for those who live in the states.

I would prefer though that if/when these companies decide to move, that they hopefully give an offer to their existing employees to move with them.

While I would love to see many of them move to NC, I think that if/when these companies do move that not only they will look at the cost issues, work place issues, but they will probably seek out a long term stable political enviroment in which to move in to.

Dividing the issue by avoiding a company that sales to LE, to me isnt going to work well, because many of these companies basically give LE a discount because it provides great advertising for their product. Many, many folks want to use what LE uses, and its doubtful the boycott would have any impact their either.

Me personally, I prefer to be kind in writing letters to these companies, and kindly asking them to consider moving in the future. Secondly, Im going to try to donate some to those organizations who are fighting against the NY ban.

edit to add:

The following companies (maybe more) have at least an office in NC now

Marlin - Madison NC
Remington - Madison NC
Para-Ord - Pineville NC
InterOrdnance (cant remember location right now)
USATactical - Statesville (smaller AR-15 manufacturer)

North Carolina must have something thats at least somewhat attractive to these few companies in some way. Perhaps its something to build upon...

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; January 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:20 PM   #53
ncpatriot

Henry Repeating Arms was in NYC, but I see they are now in NJ. Is that a dime's worth of difference?

Yes, sadly, the manufacturers will not turn down a customer, so NY will still be able to get its government supply of weapons & ammo. It would be great to see a company dump them but another would probably spring up. But it would serve NY right, then have to get a new supplier, maybe new brands. That would enrage their taxpayers who foot the bill.

Maybe some firearm businesses would still leave the state or city for tax reasons. Isn't NY one of the highest tax states? They might entertain a move to a lower tax state if an invitation came? Anyone have friends or family in your state's economic development offices? Marlin relocated to NC. I think they had been in MAS or CT, forget which.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:28 AM   #54
DMMikey

NY still ranks number 6 in manufacturing, as of 2009, the latest year I could find quickly. I doubt a boycott would have much effect.
Even a previous governor, Spitzer, described upstate as something resembling Appalachia, in terms of economic activity. Yup, even with that rank. Buffalo used to one of the top five manufacturing centers in the country.
You know how states are complaining about the expansion of Medicaid under Obamacare (despite the feds paying 90% of the cost) up to 130% of the poverty level? New York already provides it, paying 50% of the cost, up to 140% of the poverty level. We spend nearly double the next highest state, California, on this one program alone. The entire county property tax that I pay goes toward Medicaid.
Our legislature rarely debates any bill on the floor. Budgets are the same way. They are all negotiated by "three men in a room." The majority leader of the senate, the assembly, and the governor get in a room and play lets make a deal. All the members fall into line to vote for whatever is agreed. They have little or no say. If they do not, several things happen. One, they aren't paid great, in terms of base salary. But nearly everyone has a committee assignment, subject to the leader's whim, that pays an extra stipend. Their expenses (they are reimbursed for everything you can think of) come under scrutiny.(Once, a governor ordered the State Police to start investigating one of the majority leaders.) They lose party endorsement, which means they must organize their own petitioning campaign to get back on the ballot, and someone else is backed by the party for their seat. The districts are all severely gerrymandered, to make campaigning unnecessary.
There are numerous state authorities to run various functions, like the thruway, or the dormitory authority, or the power authority... the list goes on. These are all headed by political appointee idiots. They are also used to hide debt and for accounting chicanery. At one point, the Thruway Authority purchased Attica Correctional facility for $500 million. No, I am not making this stuff up.
Yes, I am still a liberal, but that is an entirely different issue than the dysfunction of this government.
No, I am not a liberal (or what one is supposedly these days) when it comes to gun issues.
I do believe there may be some serious blow back on this legislation. Some people are finally becoming aware of how legislation is passed and how screwed up the process is in NY. This went too far.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:32 AM   #55
jason_iowa

I doubt anything but my tax dollars and IRA investment dollars go to New York. I have no desire to visit NYC.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:57 AM   #56
motorhead0922

The enemy is doing their own boycott. Rahm Emanuel has announced that Chicago will divest all investments in gun makers through mutual funds etc.

Do you hear that, Illinois gun industry members? How about you, Optics Planet? You are not wanted in Ill Noise.

Missouri, however, is not far away and is gun friendly as are many states.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:58 AM   #57
terzmo

Cuomo claims the new laws are common sense but he was lacking common sense in a few areas.
1. Background checks....doesn't apply to NY State handgun owners..legal ones because only permit holders and law enforcement can LEGALY own handguns. Background investigations have already been done. You cannot transfer a handgun legally, unless the new owner has a NY State permit or FFL.
2. Where did the magic number of "7" come from. I'm sure all mentally deficient people and criminals will abide by that.
3. Is any one persons life more important than another? What has the gov done about flight 7402 or other mass trajedies?

4. For all the gun regulation supporters...I propose that because there are so many accidents involving snow blowers and lawn mowers that all lawn mowers and blowers that are motor driven and over 7 inches wide be banned. All mowers,tractors,blowers, any equipment powered by a motor be made illegal and You have 1 year to dispose of out of state.

5. AND...have the other gov's thought that now cuomo has made it a mandate that all the assault weopons and high capacity mags be "dumped" in their state.

Where's the sense in this ? Gotta go...heading out to Niagara Square in Buffalo to join the march...Tom E USAF ret
Old January 19, 2013, 11:51 PM   #58
DMMikey

Jason in Iowa.
NY still ranks 6th in manufacturing. A large percentage of GM engines, Ford sheet metal, GM fuel injection systems, transfer cases for Chrysler and others plus a lot more stuff is made in NY. if you buy an american car, chances are part of it was made in NY.
Dan Wesson is made there. Remington's Ilion plant. Kahr is headquartered there (Blauvelt, NY), but not made. I guess Kimber moved in, at least the headquarters, I don't know what else.
Part of the corruption of government that I wrote about earlier is how business is attracted and retained. If you know the right people and make the right noises about expanding or moving or needing help, tax breaks, subsidies, cheap electricity, or what ever magically appears. In the mean time, your competitors get nothing, and the community the business is located in goes begging for tax money needed for basic services.
It's so corrupt that I thought absolutely nothing would surprise me, but the extent of this legislation finally did.
And yes there is a Republican, sort of, Senate that the bill had to go through.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:04 PM   #59
Texshooter

Well, Willy the county I live in (metro ATL) got their new Glocks about 6 years ago for FREE. Swapped out old S&W for new Glocks.

So you tell me, who does Glock (all of them) make more money off of - gov't or civie?

By your reasoning we have more power to the Manf. Heck, just look at the advertising they do. Why would they do that if our $ did not add up?

I have NO doubt the folks working in Ilion are some of the best folks. Applies to many Manf. But WE MUST make the makers understand. How much would it cost to move? I don't know? How much would Free States (in this economy) be willing to throw in to get a Manf plant to move there? (a lot I am guessing)

WE HAVE GOT TO GET OUR MESSAGE OUT!

Boycotting South Africa was not going to make a difference. The bus boycotts of the late 50's & 60's was not going to make a difference. Homosexuals telling companies to boycott THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA FOR GOD'S SAKE was not going to make a difference!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

And we need to tell Manf in Free States to make places like NY treat the Police like the state is treating their citizens. And we need to let Manf in non-free states know we would like them to move.

I, frankly, don't see where it will hurt. I see it helping the Manf make more $ vs. giving away their products for almost nothing vs considering their customer base that actually makes them $$$$.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:43 PM   #60
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
would be like getting people to boycott gas
I disagree.

I need gas, but I don't need to go to NY. There are plenty of other states to visit.

From here on in, I will not be spending any money in NY.

I feel better already.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 20, 2013, 08:03 PM   #61
Nick S.

Some of the gun clubs here on Long Island have been going up to Albany by the bus load to protest. Cuomo said he wouldn't do anything to affect shooting sports. We are the only ones he's affected.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:07 AM   #62
Apom

NYC has to much to offer to not visit. Lived there without firearms and survived just fine. Will go back someday..food is too good.

Girlfriend just got back from Texas and said she felt like she was visiting a huge garbage dump. Seems Texas spends its time worrying about 2nd Amendment but doesn't give 2 craps about how crappy it looks.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:13 AM   #63
maestro pistolero

New York Post reporting on this.

Angry gun owners in New York are openly vowing to defy the calls for registration of so-called assault weapon that is effective April 15th, 2014. This reaction is not unexpected, IMO, and made worse by the surreptitious manner in which the legislation bypassed customary public comment.

Quote:
“I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said Brian Olesen, president of the American Shooters Supply, one of the largest gun dealers in the state.
Quote:
“Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ said a Cuomo-administration source who added that officials expect “widespread violations’’ of the new law. Owners who refuse to register could face a class-A misdemeanor — punishable by up to a year in prison.
Quote:
The organizers point to a little-known guarantee of gun ownership contained in New York’s own “Civil Rights Law,” which was ratified the same year as the Constitution .

The state statute says the right to keep and bear arms “cannot be infringed” — stronger than the Second Amendment, which says it “shall not be infringed.’’
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/h...BJJhkLBtiTPMfJ

Last edited by maestro pistolero; January 22, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:09 AM   #64
win-lose

Maestro, thanks for the link... that is a HUGE and very important subject that really warrants its own thread. I'll wait to reply into that thread so the conversation doesn't get lost in this one.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:35 AM   #65
MLeake

Apom, New York has nice areas, and not so nice areas. Texas has nice areas, and not so nice areas. It all depends on where your girlfriend traveled.

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 22, 2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Borderling unkind language
Old January 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #66
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...9.html?ml=po_r

So not all NY folks agree with Cuomo. It is the city voters for the most part who are unable to see that they can defend themselves.

However, such numbers probably indicates that Cuomo would be bad candidate for nation wide federal office if he had that dream. Not to be political but mentioned in the article.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:27 AM   #67
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
North Carolina must have something thats at least somewhat attractive to these few companies in some way. Perhaps its something to build upon...
Non-union, low taxes, low utilities, low land cost, a business-friendly welcoming government.....and they are not the only ones
Old January 30, 2013, 11:29 AM   #68
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
So not all NY folks agree with Cuomo. It is the city voters for the most part who are unable to see that they can defend themselves.
Let's see what happens if the societal crunch happens and all of the ne'er-do-wells in NYC start rioting and looting all of those rich liberal neighborhoods - there aren't enough cops (even at 30,000+), to stop a massive wave. All they really needed to do is remember how Sandy messed everything up - add in massive riots/looting, and maybe some of them will start to remember what happened top them in WWII and others scenarios
Old January 30, 2013, 12:47 PM   #69
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/ny...trol-laws.html

Describes opposition of local gun owners and discusses court cases. Given the overall makeup of NY - vote action on a statewide level will be difficult.

Court challenges may be more successful but probably will have to move up the Federal chain. Massive noncompliance may be seen and the resultant court cases if there are arrests will be a means to court challenges.