The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 7, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1
kai44

magpul question

I'm looking to get an AFG2 for my AR and browsing ebay, I'm finding ones with "airsoft" and "AEG" in the title. The grip and packaging looks the same. Are they the actual magpul grips and just being marketed towards airsoft, or are they cheap knock offs?
Old January 7, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

They are most likely the Magpul PTS. These are directed towards airsoft and training. Some say they work fine, but others have had bad experiences with them on real guns. Apparently, the polymers in them are cheaper and heat will cause them to deform. They may also break easier.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Justice06RR

Yep, they are knock-off Magpul's or "clones" aimed at Airsoft so stay away if you can. Many of them do not fit your standard AR rails. I took the plunge once at a gunshow and bought a set of MBUS sights for $30 -- it proved too good to be true as it did NOT fit my AR rails. I'm not too upset because I'm only out $30 instead of $100.

The only ones that would really work are slings. I have 2 of the MS3 slings and they work just the same.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Miketodd04

Yeah, Those are the PTS version. There is a company in China that is allowed to put the Magpul Logo on them. They are aimed at Airsoft and simulation type weapons. I have used the AFG2 and while I couldn't tell a difference in the way they felt in the hand, it didn't fit the rail at all. Also, when taking them apart or looking at the thickness of the polymers, there is a difference as well. The real thing isn't THAT much more and you are supporting an American Company.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Have you tried out the AFG?
Old January 9, 2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Yung.gunr

I love my AFG. Just take the plunge and get the real thing. I found mine on Ebay. I like it much better than a vertical fore grip or the regular hand guard.