The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 16, 2011, 09:09 PM   #26
ZeroJunk

If I kept every gun I have owned I would have a hard time getting in my house. Well, maybe not quite that bad. I have a couple that I'm attached to.
Old June 17, 2011, 06:14 AM   #27
8shot357

That's like asking how your grandma smells.

Sorry, that's what comes to mind.
Old June 17, 2011, 07:59 AM   #28
Rifleman1776

Fact is "guns grandpa owned" have no sentimental value to most families. What value they have to the desendants is in dollars only. But, often times the families do think that because "it was grandpa's" it is worth more. Not so. When I had my gunshop a lot of guns came in hoping I would buy them. Many times, I suspect, grandpa wasn't even cold yet. And about half the time the gun in question was an H&R single barrel 12 ga. shotgun that rattled like an old Jenny and wasn't worth the gas to bring it to town. Personal case in point. I mounted a small .32 revolver in a frame, very nicely if I say so myself, that belonged to my grandfather (I'm now 72) and gave it to my son. He was completely disinteresed and it is packed away somewhere. I thought it would hang on a wall as a sort of sentimental item. Nope. Couldn't care less. Believe me, when the body is cold life moves on and most of the time the dollars left behind are all that count.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:08 AM   #29
ZeroJunk

Lot of truth there. I'm from a big family. And, out of all of the guns in those families there was one nice Sterlingworth and a nice Remington 241. Other than that there are some house brand Crescents sawed off for bird guns, Iver Johnson Champions, single shot 22's, that type of thing. A shame I didn't have any rich relatives.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:57 AM   #30
Nisei

One side of the family, they don't care for guns. Too scary to have in the house. The other side... let's just say we're still fighting for Grandpa's revolver after several years.

For me, I will pass my guns down to younger ones I meet at the range when I know my time is coming. If I pass it down to kids/grand-kids, who knows where those guns will end up. Give it to a young, avid shooter and I know they will end up in a good safe or a even a EDC holster. If the kids/grand-kids become avid shooters then obviously they will come before the strangers.
Old June 18, 2011, 06:52 PM   #31
Stevie-Ray

I have no kids and I was the only one in my family with an interest in guns. I really have no idea where they will end up. But I do have a current value sheet for all of them, in the event I go before the wife, because I hate the idea of her being cheated. Of course, it will be up to her if she settles for less, and how much, because if everybody walks away happy, it really is best. I'm 55 now, and I might start selling off some of the ones I no longer shoot, I just don't know. I've only sold 2 guns in my life and don't miss either, but that's a rarity.
Old June 18, 2011, 07:02 PM   #32
JerryM

My guns are just tools. I enjoy them, but not married to any of them.They are not part of my family, and so I don't mind parting with them if I need to.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:53 PM   #33
C7AR15

Selling OK

I have bought 35-40 guns in my life. Have sold about 24 of them.

once I have sold a gun I don"t miss it. Usually I spend the money on another gun. A better gun.

Guns keep getting better - better steels , better machining methods,etc
You can buy Sub MOA rifles under $1000 easily today.
Handguns too are much better than the "good old days".

If you regret selling something you can always buy it again!

A quote from Wall street

"A wife you keep forever, stocks you buy and sell" - same goes for guns.

Enjoy them, buy Em sell Em and definitely shoot them JD
Old June 19, 2011, 01:05 AM   #34
Sport45

If I don't care to shoot it or don't think one of my boys will want it I have no trouble selling them.

The guns I'll never sell and will most definately pass on to the boys were the ones given to me by my dad or passed down through the family.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:23 AM   #35
Scout

I used to buy and sell guns on a regular basis. Then I got married and had a couple of kids. Now, my wife tells me, "Those guns belong to the boys." So, I never sell them now. The down side is that I'm running out of room for more guns.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:44 AM   #36
youngunz4life

C7AR15

Thank You for the quote. I wrote it down. Someday I would like to give one of my HD handguns or shotguns to one of my children when they marry and get a home. I also did get rid of one firearm. It was a semi that had some issues when I bought it, so I was able to return it. The man on the phone said I had 7 days to return it if I hadn't fired it. He told me point blank that he didn't know who I was & to show up sometime and just tell whoever was working that it hadn't been fired. I did the next day(basspro shops). Besides that, I like to keep my fireamrs. That one was also in the grey area of not being mine yet.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:24 AM   #37
JC57

I've sold or traded a fair number over the years. There's maybe two or three I really regret selling now, but the rest are not missed.

My current plan is to never sell another one. I don't have anyone to leave them to other than my wife, so eventually they'll be treasures for some lucky soul at my estate sale!
Old June 19, 2011, 03:23 AM   #38
shaunpain

Only two guns I have purchased I no longer possess. The Beretta, along with lots of nice electronics, were pilfered from my home by some *******.

The other was gifted to my brother. He is younger and just recently got into guns (real guns, he's always had the toys like me) and I decided to give him my beater 70's German .38 with a box of way-too-expensive HPs. It may not have been expensive, but, hell, I've never been GIVEN much of anything, much less a pill thrower. Now that's a good gift!
Old June 19, 2011, 06:45 AM   #39
Uncle Buck

Honestly? My plan is to keep all my guns until I get rid of them. (Sorry)

I buy guns that I like or that I might be able to use as trading stock for something else. But the ones I really like, I have no intentions of getting rid of them.

Last night while cleaning pistols my nephew asked me what was going to happen to my guns when I died. I told him they would be divided amongst my brother, his cousin and himself. He started in by saying "Well I want these ones here and they can have the others." In my will they each get to pick a gun, once they each pick a gun, they get to start over and pick another one, until they are all gone. The biggest caveat is that my wife will decide who picks and who picks first. So if any of them really get her mad, she can exclude them from the picking.
(He has been really nice towards his aunt.)
Old June 19, 2011, 08:37 AM   #40
P97

All my guns that I've had over a year are lifetime purchases. I have sold and traded guns that didn't meet my standards, but any gun I've had for a while, I'll keep, and pass down to decedents.
Old June 19, 2011, 09:12 AM   #41
chasep255

If I don't like them I sell them and buy a new gun (or at least something gun related since I sold my Beretta 92 and bought reloading gear). Some guns I have I don't shoot much but still just can't bring myself to sell them.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:14 AM   #42
bullethole1

spacecoast lmao .Yeah that sounds a whole lot better to let someone else enjoy them! I just hope I dont die anytime soon
Old June 19, 2011, 07:25 PM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Some are keepers...others, until I get tired of them

I hae my Grandfather's Ithaca shotgun, its 102 years old, currently. I have one of my Dad's rifles, and 3 of his pistols. They are gone from the family, but their guns are still with us, and provide memories everytime I see them.
I still have my first deer rifle, that my Dad gave me. These guns aren't going anywhere until after I do. Then they will go to my children. Along with whatever else is in my collection at the time.

Others, I have bought, and some kept for decades. When I decide I want to sell or trade them, I will.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:44 PM   #44
lee n. field

Quote:
keep the guns forever? send them on their way someday?
Also to note this: You can't keep those guns forever. All, in this era, die.

Unless a particular piece has historic or sentimental value, Hitler's gun or your grandfathers, they're toys, tools and a store of value.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 20, 2011, 02:32 PM   #45
Mudinyeri

Interesting question. We only have one child - a boy who is now 11. I haven't talked it over with him but this is what I'm thinking:

There are a few guns in my collection that have been in the family for generations. He will most definitely inherit those guns.

There are a couple guns in my collection that are my son's guns (meaning, I bought them for him). He is welcome to take them with him when he moves away from home as long as he is able to store them safely and securely.

The rest of my guns may be kept or sold, at my son's option, upon my death. I don't plan any sort of mass sell-off prior to that time.

Tags
handgun , revolver , rifle , semi , shotgun