The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Lucky13

Interceptor Body Armor

I have a question about some Interceptor Body Armor I recently aquired from a friend. He had bought the base carrier vest, including 9mm/frag lining, from a local Milsurp store and a pair of SAPI Level III plates from a seller on gun broker. He got in a tight and couldn't pay a mechanic to fix his wifes car for him so I did it and he traded me the armor straight up for my work.

My question is about the legality of owning and selling this stuff. My state ( Alabama ) allows civilian ownership of body armor, but my main concern is about the vest itself being Milsurp and the plated being purchased from a gun shop online. Both the vest and plates are marked US, and the vest has serial numbers on both the carrier and the 9mm/frag lining. Can I get in trouble for owning the vest and armor plates since were both US Military at one time?

And another question, say it is legal to sell it to someone, how much would something like this go for?
Old August 29, 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
wpsdlrg

I can't comment about Alabama law, specifically. However, if your friend acquired the vest legally....and you acquired the other bits legally....and Alabama allows civilian ownership and use of such vests..... then what would you be worried about ? Just because the thing has 'US' stenciled on it, indicating it was once owned by the military, means nothing. Most of the stuff in surplus stores is like that. No offense, but I wonder if you are really worried that the vest in question might not actually have been acquired (from the military) legally. Perhaps your "friend" just finished a tour of duty....and came home with a few "souvenirs" ? Is that it ?

It must be dangerous down there in Alabama..... that you'd want or feel the need for body armour. A tough place, huh ?
Old August 29, 2009, 09:16 AM   #3
MLeake

MILSURP stuff

gets sold all the time via DRMO (Defense Reutilization and Marketing Organization). If you're worried about whether this gear was authentically purchased, you could ask your friend for the receipts or purchase order.

In the event that it's gear that he failed to turn in, he'll get surveyed by the government, and will have to pay the replacement cost for the gear. Not sure that you could get in trouble in that case, unless it were established that you knew (or should have known) that the gear was misappropriated.

As far as why anybody would want to have an IBA and SAPI plates:

1) Some people like to collect stuff just for the sake of having it. Nobody thinks twice about an Arisaka with bayonet in the display area...

2) For military reservists, having an IBA can afford pre-deployment opportunities to train in the IBA (jog, hike, move and shoot, etc) so they can acclimate to its use prior to call-up or deployment.

3) If I were going to buy my own armor for an actual, perceived need, I'd opt for Dragonscale. It costs more, but it's a lot lighter and more flexible. If I really thought I needed Dragonscale or an IBA, though, I'd move to a different neighborhood.
Old August 29, 2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Lucky13

I was with him when he bought the base carrier from the Milsurp store so unless that store is breaking the law, I know the vest is legal. As for the plates, I just have to take his word that he bought them on gun broker, but then again I don't know where else he could have gotten them.

And to the guy being a smart ass, I didn't want or need the body armor. I was just being trying to be a good person and help a friend out who was short on cash at the time. I have no need for it what so ever which is why I was asking about what something like this would sell for.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Jimro

the market for used body armor is pretty limited, the kevlar can be damaged by improper storage and the ceramic plates can get cracked under the outer shell.

But, if your stuff is in good condition you could probably get between three and six hundred dollars for the set, depending on whether the shell is desert, woodland, or ACU pattern camo.

The Dragonscale vest was tested by the Army weighs 44 pounds, nearly twice the IBA. Don't know if Dragonscale makes a lighter version for the civilian market. I'm using the IOTV body armor now, and it isn't any better than the IBA, just different.

Unless you have some plans to need a vest in the future, I'd sell it at a gunshow or some online auction sight.

Jimro
Old August 29, 2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Lucky13

The armor carrier I have is M81 Woodland, but I still might be able to sell it. Might carry it to the next gun show and see if I can trade it for something useful. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old August 30, 2009, 04:43 AM   #7
rkba_net

The manufacturer does not sell to individuals, the military does not sell them as surplus... it is most probably stolen... although proving that is another ? If the vest was legally acquired (which for the life of me I cannot figure out how) it is legal to sell in every state... no state totally bans body armor... in some it is illegal to possess while committing a crime..
Old August 30, 2009, 07:13 AM   #8
jack404

actually private citizens may buy direc t buy they need a reasopn

I'm in Australia

here all vests are banned but i am permitted use , i do demining in cambodia on occasion and the gove here have allowe me a permit and i know the US folks who attend CMAC also have permits even some from California where i'm told ( i may be wrong) private citizens may NOT have a vest

i dunno your laws, but know if thers a good enough reason vests can be obtained legally

cheers

jack
Old August 30, 2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Crosshair

Quote:
It must be dangerous down there in Alabama..... that you'd want or feel the need for body armour. A tough place, huh ?
So it is not strange to own a sword, but is strange to own a shield? People own guns for defense, why not armor?

On a couple of other forums, some members own level II or III armor and keep it slipped under the bed with one side open so if something goes bump in the night they can quickly slip it on, grab their HD gun and be ready to go. I've been meaning to get my hands on some Kevlar as well and do the same. Just because you are the good guy doesn't mean you won't get shot. Kevlar is cheaper than a hospital bill for a gunshot wound.

Sure I probably won't need it. I also probably won't need my smoke alarms or the spare tire for my car, but if you do need it, you NEED it and waiting 7-10 days for UPS probably won't cut it.
Old August 30, 2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Lucky13

In response to Rkba_net: The Milsurp store that is was purchased from had probably 15-20 other IBA base vests in various sizes and camo patterns, which kinda makes me doubt if it was stolen. Doesn't mean that many individual IBA vests couldn't be stolen and end up at one shop, but for them to have that many would surely raise suspicions and without paper work verifying the legality of the vests they would probably get shut down. But then again you can never tell.
Old September 2, 2009, 11:42 PM   #11
tacmedicp94

It's my understanding that the gov. has just started cracking down on reselling the interceptor armor. I know that you can't find it online much anymore and the local surplus store here has stopped selling it and says they can't get anymore. Apparently the armor that was around was probably listed as lost or damaged and not resold as surplus by the gov. This could be wrong but it's what I've been told.
Adam