The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2013, 04:56 PM   #26
603Country

Bart, I have one tighter bushing, but not one looser. You may have a good point, because there is a very large difference in effort required to seat bullets in cases sized in the various dies. The NK die gave the most resistance, and the worst accuracy. The std FL die was next in resistance and had decent accuracy. The Lee had least resistance of all, but only slightly less than that of the Bushing Die. You could feel a difference between the two. After a couple hundred rounds reloaded and shot, I have developed quite a feel for comparative resistance in bullet seating. I need to place an order with Sinclair, and bushings are cheap. I'll get the looser one and see if it makes a diff.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Bart B.

Yea team!!!!

Easy bullet seating is a good sign accurate ammo's in the makin'. If one cannot seat bullets easy using a chamber-type hand tool such as Wilson's, the sized case necks are way too tiny in mouth diameter.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:08 AM   #28
603Country

Bart, thanks for your input and insight on this thread and several others. You have caused me to rethink many of my reloading/accuracy beliefs, which has caused me to try new things. I'm a better reloader with better ammo now, and I think that most of the credit goes to you. You have occasionally been a pain in the b***, but always a knowledgable pain.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:43 PM   #29
Bart B.

603, thanks for your remarks.

I've oft time been called a pain in the butt. One good friend years ago often called my commenting on accurate shooting a "gamo glob shot." Large vaccinations, like antibiotics, vitamins, gamma globulin, etc. are injected deep into the muscle and, therefore, must be given in the buttock. Difficult to put up with when received, but worth the discomfort in the long run.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:22 PM   #30
603Country

That's funny. Of the many memories I have of the USMC, one of the funny little things that seem to stick in my mind is that GG shot they gave me in boot camp. The guy in line ahead of me had the needle snapped off in his butt. The Corpsman took pliers and pulled out the needle and then gave him the shot with a fresh needle. Then it was my turn, and the Corpsman said "relax". Sure...