The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
HKFan9

Rem 870 Premier Trap F grade.

I have a Remington Premier Trap F grade.... no box... no papers... in good original shape. Has fancy wood and pistol grip style stock (only one I could find online for sale was a rare signed one with an English straight stock.)

I was wondering what you guys might think it would be worth (ball park)

I am NOT looking to sell it, I understand condition is everything.. I wanna say its 95% if not higher, but I have no other info.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:50 PM   #2
BigJimP

Without a photo...it would be very difficult to help you....

( but box and papers in most guns is irrelevent in my opinion / often talked about on here and other forums - but most of us wouldn't pay more for a shotgun with a box and papers). When I run accross a gun with box and papers...and seller insists its worth more / I tell him to keep the box and the papers and make me a better offer if he's so set on them being worth more...
Old September 25, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

I can not find any listing for a 870 Premier grade in my Std Cat of Firearms.

There is the custom shop guns that are made to order with "F" engraving. I'm thinkng you should call Remington on this gun for a history.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
BigJimP

I think Remington did use the term "Premier grade" on some of their 870 models ...and I believe they were made in different grade levels .....but I'm not a Remington expert...but its also possible that the term "Premier Grade" may have been bastardized in some of their promotional literature too ....not sure.

But until we see a photo --- I'm not sure we know what the OP really has...
Old September 27, 2012, 02:13 AM   #5
impalacustom

Calling Remington for any kind of information beyond manuals is akin to asking a 5yr old what kind of chocolate they like.

Your best bet is to ask someone on the RSA forums.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:40 AM   #6
TxGun

It's listed below in Remington's 870 history section (you have to scroll down a bit). You'll see high-grade 870 Trap and Skeet guns from time-to-time at the bigger gunshows and high-end shops. They come out of the Custom Shop, of course, and they'll still build guns to your order.

http://www.remington.com/products/ar...ingmaster.aspx

http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Shotguns.aspx

I don't have a recent Blue Book, but it should be in there. That will give you a good ballpark.

Last edited by TxGun; September 27, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
BigJimP

We still need photos to help you ....your description of a "pistol grip stock" makes me a little nervous...

If its really been shortened...to something akin to a Pistol Grip Only stock ...then the value is probably significantly reduced...!!

If its a fixed choke vs having screw in changeable chokes...it will depreciate the value as well usually ...but it partly depends what the barrel is choked at ...if its a Modified vs a Full ...it might not hurt it too much.

Photos will tell the story ...and a little more info please....
Old September 27, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

Jim I think the OP meens that it is a standard stock vs a english straight grip.

If it is a pistol grip (no butt stock) thats a surefire walk away, wouldn't even give it a second thought..
Old September 27, 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Letter grade Trap and Skeet model Remingtons come in the following grades.

A, metal untouched, wood upgraded a little over standard.

B, same metal, wood a bit better usually, but some TBs have absolutely GORGEOUS lumber, mostly from the 70s.

C, still plain metal, but wood ascends to very good levels, with some being exhibition grade.

D, 50% engraving on receiver,wood usually C grade or better.

No E grade.

F,Full engraving on receiver, some on barrel. Lumber superb.

HTH....
Old September 27, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
BigJimP

I don't know Jaguar....sometimes I'm amazed at what people have ...

we'll have to wait and see if he drops by again ..and has any photos...???
Old September 27, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

The OP say's "no box no papers", if I had a "F" grade Remington any gun there would be a case just for that gun.

I have a Ithaca Executive model in 12 gauge. And I have the Ithaca case just to carry that gun.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:14 AM   #12
BigJimP

I don't disagree.....but Grade F or not ....it's still an 870 ...

....so I'm not sure how many custom cases were made for those 870's vs Purdy's, etc...

but I think this "box and papers" mentality is absurd / even though I hear it all the time at gunshows - especially on handguns...but the only time I'd care if a shotgun had a box - is if I was buying it as a gift for one of the kids / so I could wrap it easily.

Most higher end shotguns ...I'm going to have them in a decent fitted break down case anyway to take them to and from the range...and the original box just gets thrown out - let alone the original invoice / I don't keep boxes or papers on any of my guns ...not even some I've paid upwards of $ 5 - $10 K for...storing that many boxes is a pain in the butt....
Old September 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #13
jaguarxk120

Jim, I was refering to the Ithaca fitted case, not the shipping box.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
BigJimP

Ok, sorry...
Old September 28, 2012, 01:35 PM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
but Grade F or not ....it's still an 870
Jim, ol' pal, it may be a case of yes and no. My experience with Remington's Custom Shop guns is limited to 1100s; but, I assume 870s are similar. My buddy has a D-grade (less engraving than an F-grade) 1100 Skeet gun -- a thing of beauty with a custom serial number of his choice. The custom work was more than just being prettied-up, the mechanics are custom, too. Shootings the guns, there is a distinct difference between my standard target grade and his D-grade. The D-grade had none of the clickety-clack that I associate with my 1100's cycling -- its action is very smooth and tight. Again, I'm assuming, but I imagine an F-grade 870 will shuck a lot smoother (and quicker) than any standard grade 870.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:18 PM   #16
BigJimP

I have no idea Zippy ...but you're probably right.

My buddy has an older Rem 1100 as well ...and while Jack West did all the stock work on it...new forend, parallel comb, soft comb insert, etc...he also had a gunsmith that worked with him - or that was associated with him at the time ( maybe 20yrs ago ) ...that worked on the action / and the forcing cones in the barrel, etc...and really cleaned it up. I know its very different from a "stock" gun as well.