The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2009, 05:49 AM   #51
Ed K

For you belivers I have a bridge fof sale in Brooklyn, and some beachfront property in New Mexico Thats free of illegals.
Old April 17, 2009, 06:15 AM   #52
Jofaba

There is still a lot that can be done with existing laws. My mind jumps straight to 922r compliance and how they can bring out the hammer of inspection and get a lot of "assault weapons" off the market and the streets because of red tape.
Old April 17, 2009, 06:24 AM   #53
vranasaurus

Something to consider. The party in the whitehouse has lost seats in just about every midterm election. Those currently in power don't want to do anything to make it worse than it is already likely to be.

Those in power are not currently pushing new gun control. This has absolutely nothing to do with some new found belief in gun rights and everything to do with a desire to stay in power.
Old April 17, 2009, 06:49 AM   #54
Sigma 40 Blaster

I watched the video, I didn't like the way the guy was stuttering his answer. Not believable, definitely the worst WH speaker I have ever seen. The guy from the TV show "Lie to Me" would have a field day analyzing this video. It's too late for all that after two or three high level officials have called for tighter gun control so our neighbor to the south can be safer from our evil.

A couple of years ago I didn't see the harm in gun registration but now I can see if you couple registration with just one or two elements from the "new AWB" we've all read there are some troubling possibilities. Also I can see how that could lead to the micro-stamping or other forms of ammo control.

And I don't think those two possibilities are paranoia...it's just a logical progression based on "Hey, we're registering and tracking guns already. Doing the same for ammo should be no big deal".
Old April 17, 2009, 06:53 AM   #55
Jofaba

When he said ammo tracing my eyes popped. He didn't really elaborate, but the submitted legislation that I've seen is so obviously a start up company trying to force the country to use it's product, and a very defective product at that.
Old April 17, 2009, 07:10 AM   #56
waterdog89

Well dont you feel trusting in Obama now, after all I sure the "messiah" has never lied before. NOT!:barf:
Old April 17, 2009, 07:39 AM   #57
Bartholomew Roberts

First, you need to know the context of the remarks. Obama was visiting Mexico. Mexico complains about U.S. guns, not because it is a sizable crime problem; but because it is a lever to ask for more money out of the U.S. government.

Second, I have no doubts Obama will sign an AWB if it crosses his desk. The question is whether he would push for one; because without serious arm twisting from the Democratic leadership (to include the President), an AWB will never cross his desk. Even with serious arm-twisting, it isn't clear that one would cross his desk, so that is a big political risk to take.

Third, Obama did remark that he would like to adopt a 1997 weapons treaty that President Clinton proposed but that the Senate refused to ratify. I think we need to find that treaty and see what is in it - if Obama wants to pass gun laws, this is a very stealth way to do it - and even better, it only requires a vote in the Senate so it would be easier to pass. We definitely need to find out what is in that treaty and get vocal on that.

As far as a renewal of the federal AWB, I just don't see it happening this term. They don't have the votes right now and won't have until Feberuary 2011 at the earliest (unless they want to make it a major effort and they have too many other projects ahead of it). If they wait that long, it is campaign time already and Ohio, Florida and PA are still the critical states to win.
Old April 17, 2009, 07:46 AM   #58
#18indycolts

Quote:
I guess he really wants to be a single termer....
He probably will be anyway, if George W.'s wonderful economy legacy doesn't change under Obama's, he most certainly will.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:06 AM   #59
Musketeer

The treaty is the key. Ratify it in the Senate and it becomes law. Arguably it may even supersede the COTUS. I believe that treaty was rife with taxes and total registration. No bans, just tax the weapons out of our hands with no grandfather clause. I don't recall all the treaty details and can easily be wrong but the NRA needs to dig into this now.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 17, 2009, 09:17 AM   #60
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Arguably it may even supersede the COTUS.
Treaties may not override the Constitution of the United States - see Reid v. Covert, 345 U.S. 1, 15-17 (1957).
Old April 17, 2009, 09:21 AM   #61
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Well dont you feel trusting in Obama now, after all I sure the "messiah" has never lied before.
First, I don't think anybody here is saying that Obama does not want a new AWB. Given that he has stated he wants one on his website, I think we all believe that he does in fact want one.

The question isn't whether or not we believe Obama, it is whether or not they can practically achieve that goal. Right now, it looks like the answer to that is "No."*

*Of course, this assumes gun owners continue to actively communicate with their Congresscritters and do not get lazy or apathetic about it.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:34 AM   #62
ISC

There won't be any sort of ban until AFTER a mandatory firearms registration is passed. It's in the playbook.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:44 AM   #63
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks, we only need one Obama/AWB thread - so I merged them.

Glenn
Old April 17, 2009, 10:06 AM   #64
swman

Quote:
First, you need to know the context of the remarks. Obama was visiting Mexico. Mexico complains about U.S. guns, not because it is a sizable crime problem; but because it is a lever to ask for more money out of the U.S. government.
Bingo! The situation between the U.S. and Mexico is thus: Mexico wants their illegals to send billions of $$$ back to her; drugs go north and more billions of $$$ come back to Mexico. Where things got bad was that as long as corruption along the border and among the government officials was kept "within reason" everything was okay. But, the Mexican feds allowed things to get too out of hand, and the cartels really started pushing them around. I think its gotten to the point were Calderon needs American intervention but, for Mexican national pride and internal political reasons, hoped that by blaming the U.S. for Mexico's problems, and Obama being Obama, he'd get U.S. resources w/o getting U.S. troops either on the border or inside Mexico. Calderon is really desperate for U.S. help. He got way in over his head when he declared war on the cartels, not realizing how much they had really taken over Mexico. The DoD JFC paper on Mexico rapidly becoming a failed state was spot on.
Old April 17, 2009, 10:39 PM   #65
DMMikey

There won't be a push for a new AWB anytime in the near future. The Dems are determined to maintain a hold on the house. Recently, 65 Dems from conservative and rural districts sent a letter to the white house (Eric Holder) stating that they could not support any new gun restrictions.
Without that many votes, any legislation is dead in the water.
The leadership got the message.
There would have to be some radical changes for any new gun control to have a chance.
For the moment, 2A supporters have won.
About the only legislation that I have seen that seems to have any momentum is closing the gun show loophole. And the efforts for that seem to be for a very narrow bill.
Old April 18, 2009, 01:36 AM   #66
greywalker

Do Not Let Your Guard Down .... words to live by, now more than ever....
Old April 18, 2009, 07:50 AM   #67
alloy

He mentioned tracing ammo last week also with regards to Mexico, not sure which speech...frankly i can't tell one speech from the next anymore. Either the one before the last one or it might have been the one before that one. Maybe someone else knows if it was during Mexico speech 1 thru 3 or 4 thru 6 ago? Is that a new tactic, Keep talking until everyone stops listening?

Anyway...the ability to trace ammo was mentioned, but maybe reading bar codes off the boxes was the intention.

Edit: found it. Closing loopholes, ballistics and ammo info are something Mr Holder will be working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_n3XlVZ4Q

Last edited by alloy; April 18, 2009 at 09:44 AM.