The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 20, 2008, 06:04 PM   #1
DaveInPA

.22LR AR-15 Upper

Who makes a good .22LR upper at a decent price without a ridiculously long wait time? What are the advantages of a dedicated upper versus a .22LR conversion kit?
Old November 20, 2008, 06:15 PM   #2
TheManHimself

The main benefit is accuracy, as a dedicated upper will have the proper bore diameter and rate of twist. The Tactical Solutions upper is generally regarded as the best thing out there, but it is pricey at $575.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:48 AM   #3
BeCoole

I wouldn't have one from anyone but Compass Lake or Derrick Martin. Expect to pay $$$$

The advantage over a plain conversion unit are accuracy and reliability. A .223 bore is .224". A rimfire bore is .218". Throwing a .218" lead projectile down a .224" bore causes a mess of leading, especially with a tight twist.

.223 twist is 1/9" to 1/7". Rimfire twist is usually 1/16".

I think Compass Lake and Derrick can even make them so the bolt holds back on an empty mag, something not possible with the .22 conversion kit alone.

If you want fast and cheap, just buy a crappy DPMS rimfire upper. You get what you pay for. Which may not be an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by BeCoole; November 21, 2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:56 AM   #4

Currently, a toss up between Tacsol and Spikes Tactical. IMHO, the edge goes to Spikes for their finishing of the bolt and carrier assembly that reduces the need for lubrication.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:49 PM   #5
AMX

I have a KPF dedicated upper and a Ciener conversion that I use in a regular 5.56 upper. As others have said, the dedicated upper is more accurate, but if you're just chewing up pop cans at 25 yards or so, I don't think you'll notice much difference.

I use my drop in conversion a lot more than I do my dedicated upper.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:34 AM   #6
kraigwy

When I use to shoot for the NG the military had Sub Cal devices for the M16s for shooting 50 Ft indoor targets. They had the CNGB Compititions where each unit fielded a 4 man team. The winning team from each state was flown to Nashville for head to head compition.

Anyway, I cheated. The 223 is 223, 22s are 218. I sleaved the barrel of one of the M16s with one of brownells 22 liners, chambered it to 22 cal and it shot a heck of a lot better then the 22s out of a 223/5.56.

I think in your case, get a sub cal device, another upper, sleeve and chamber it for 22 cal. Might be a cheaper route with all those uppers out there.

Don't know for sure, havent looked into a decated 22 RF Upper.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Chipperman

I have a Spike's upper on order. It was shipped yesterday!!

I'll post when I get to shooting it.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:03 PM   #8
cabbynate

I use a Ciener conversion with bulldog mags and this setup runs great. I have an EoTech 577 and I do not even have to re sight it in out to 50 yards...
Old November 22, 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Semper Paratus

I've got a Spikes upper with a couple thousand rounds through it. Hasn't quite paid for itself ye, but getting close. I can only think of 2 real problems in 4 full boxes of WW Federal bulk pack. First was an operator induced error...failure to ensure mag was locked in the well. And the other ammo...no priming compound. I "torture" tested by not cleaning and around 450-500 rounds it was getting sluggish. Hosed it down with some CLP and shot another couple of hundred then I cleaned it. Accuracy is quite good, at 25 yds, when properly supported and judiciously handled I have put 27 rounds (thats the mag capacity) in something only slightly larger than a quarter. Certainly minute of squirrel or rabbit accuracy. Fun to shoot inexpensive like $13.50 for 550 rounds and it has quite the wow factor. I liked it so much I put a dedicated lower underneath it