The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2006, 02:08 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
To each thier own, but, I just don't understand the mentality of people who could carry, but don't.
Well when ya hit my age, seen what ive seen, live where I live and attain my level of philosophical sophsitication , you'll understand..

To each his won, my new years resolution is just to giggle at folks who carry three guns and 4 reloads and wear body armor...

WildhowmanygunsyoucarryteeheeAlaska
Old January 8, 2006, 02:11 PM   #27
STAGE 2

Quote:
I dont even carry half the time when I am out, why do it at home.
Here here. I'm all for having things accessible at home, but I would think that feeling the need to carry at home is more of an indication that one should move to a different area.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:13 PM   #28
superman

People that dont carry are targets simple as that. I keep six loaded guns in my car. Some people think that is a little overboard. But when everyone else is out of ammo. They know that all they have to do is get into my trunk or open my door. A friend of mine cars no less than 2000 rounds for his M4. Of course were cops but we have a mind set that if s--t hits the fan were going to be ready. Every one needs that mind set. They dont have to take it to extremes like we do, but will to fight is a will to live. That is something that i live by.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:19 PM   #29
superman

hgkostic...
if someone was to break into your home you would have time to get out of bed and get a gun. you have to get out of bed anyway. Let's say that you wake up and find someone standing over you. You think that your going to have time to grab your gun. NO.. the burgler already has you covered. I hope that never happens to you or any one else. But the sad part is that it will happen to someone, it is happeneing right now some where.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:30 PM   #30
HGKosteck

Alaska,

I can garuntee you one thing..

I'll never live to an age where I feel complacent enough to be negligent
in defending myself and my family by not carrying when I have the option of doing so.

I live in a nice, quiet area, in the country, where, if somthing bad happened, our badly overstretched Sherrif's Dept would take quite a while to respond.

You can choose to laugh at me, and, that's fine. I carry my pistol, and, two reloads when I CCW, as well as my AR-15 in the trunk with 4 mags.

Bad things can happen, believe it or not.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:34 PM   #31
HGKosteck

Superman,

Your point is taken.

However, this is why proper peremeter security is just a no brainer, rather than a reason not to have a weapon at hand.

Security is within an arm's reach to get my carbine, and, I don't have to dig for a light, either, as I have an M3 on the handgaurds.

I run a stray dog rescue of sorts, and, one thing that AIN'T gonna happen to me is somone getting in my house without being "greeted".

At LEAST have a dog in your residence.

Hell, a small, yappy dog would do.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:48 PM   #32
superman

Your right a good dog will no doubt help. The only dog that i have is a english walker who is so lazy that he has to be literally dragged out of the house by his front legs while he is on his back.

Also I am not trying to tell you how to protect your own home, I just want people to realize that accidents will happen. This man that had shot himself was very profficent with a gun. Have know his family for quite a while. I believed that he was dreaming of shooting ata range or someone was breaking into his home. Whatever the case may be he did in fact shoot himself. My point is this- becareful where you keep your weapons.
Old January 8, 2006, 06:46 PM   #33
pickpocket

Quote:
The Saturday referenced in the article was the same day that pickpocket posted. It isn't a question of your lifestyle, it's a function of what's going on in the world.
You don't get to make an appointment for your emergency, so you had better plan in advance. Everybody is planning; those that seem to be failing to plan are just planning to fail.
Eh, I think you missed my point. Like my tongue-in-cheek post about the various secret compartments that are strategically placed, I only mean that if you feel compelled to plan for the day that someone kicks in your door with a gun drawn and at the ready....then maybe you have bigger issues
Now, I'm not saying don't be prepared...like have a weapon close at hand at all times. I'm just saying there's prepared, and then there's creepy wackjob paranoid....that is, unless your lifestyle requires you to be paranoid.

I would venture to say that in almost every case where a family was found bound and killed in their own home, a home alarm and a handgun either on your person or in the nightstand would have ensured that the entire situation developed a bit differently.

As for not keeping a handgun close at hand when you sleep, I'll say it now and I'll say it in the future...it's all about training, training, training. I slept with a condition 1 handgun in hand and an M-16 less than 6 inches away for a year straight. People need to understand THEIR limits more than they need to understand their weapon's limits. That's what causes ND's ladies and gentlemen.

This is something I know: You can only be so prepared...past a certain point it's all chaos. The trick to staying alive is developing fundamental skills and knowing (read: practicing) how to apply those skills ad hoc...not stashing a hundred weapons throughout the house.

Just my opinion.
Old January 8, 2006, 07:14 PM   #34
Glock35JHP

I have a Pit-bull-German Shepherd mix and she's a good watch dog. Just got a new male pit-bull puppy he won't be roaming the house for a year or so.

My USP.40 is on the nightstand and Mossberg 500 Cruiser with 7 rounds within reach at night. Then there is a Rock River Standard A2 under my bed with 3 additional mags near it. My longuns go into a safe when I'm not home.

HK USP.40
Sig P239.357Sig
Mossberg 500 Cruiser
Rock River Arms Standard A2
Old January 8, 2006, 07:50 PM   #35
Dust_Devil

I would rate being creepy wackjob paranoid if my placement of weapons was for zombies, dinosaurs and vampires rather than some crack addict wanting to break into my home.
Old January 8, 2006, 07:51 PM   #36
plateshooter

I like this quote:

Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...

"Baaa."

I keep one with me all the time. Home and away. Just last week there was a couple in their 50s almost killed by two guys with a baseball bat. They came home and the guys were already in their house. This was one street over from me beside a Country Club. My gun is on me or beside me all the time.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:04 PM   #37
HGKosteck

Plate....

Yep.

Words to live by.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:10 PM   #38
pickpocket

True

But isn't there a point where it just becomes so "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" to stash weapons all over the place?

I suppose my point is that it's one thing to plan for 80% of the things that can happen to you, and IMO just a bit extravagant to go that far over the edge trying to prepare for that 10% when good training and sensibilities will accomplish the same thing.

Realistically, can anyone give me a situation where 10 weapons caches in your house will actually do something that just having your carry weapon on you or near you at all times won't accomplish?

All things in moderation, right?
Old January 8, 2006, 08:45 PM   #39
parrothead2581

I could legally carry in NC but don't. Irresponsible? Negligent to my family? I don't think so. The carry laws in NC are so strict that frankly, it would do me little good. Let's see, I can't carry in:

Schools, public or private,
all levels including universities. §14-269.2

Assemblies and establishments where
admission was charged. §14-269.3

Assemblies and establishments where
alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3

State Buildings: State
Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western
Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of
these buildings, and any building housing any court of the
General Court of Justice. §14-269.4

State office buildings or any portion of a
building in which there are State offices. §14-415.11(c)

Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities.
§14-415.11(c)

Financial Institutions.
§14-415.11(c)

Events Occurring in Public:
It shall be unlawful for any person participating in,
affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any
parade, funeral procession, picket line, or
demonstration upon any private health care
facility or upon any public place owned or under the control
of the State or any of its political subdivisions to
willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access
to any dangerous weapon. §14-277.2

Areas of emergencies or
riots. §14-288.7

Where notice of carrying a
concealed handgun is prohibited by the
posting of a conspicuous notice or statement.
§14-415.11(c)

Now I know many of these, are nationwide carry laws, but some are not, namely the alcohol restriction. So if I want to go downtown for some dinner and a baseball game, I have to leave my gun in the car while downtown (not many restaurants w/o alcohol). Now, was I able to carry in more areas, I would, but it's frankly not feasible for me. In the meantime, to have something with me, I carry an ASP, a pair of pocket knives, exercise like there's no tomorrow and walk with a purpose. Better than nothing I suppose. Stay safe...
Old January 8, 2006, 08:53 PM   #40
HGKosteck

Calm down Parrothead..

Cool your jets.

I don't suggest that you carry in places you aren't legally able to do so.

That's illegal, and, somtimes you have no choice.

I have had to alter my lefestyle somewhat to carry most places I and my family go, and, that's my choice.

If you are going to a place where you can legally carry, and, don't?

Well, I'll stick by my words then.

If you have the ability to carry and, don't, you are being negligent in the defense of yourself and, those with you, IMO.

In TX, it's the 51% rule as far as booze in resturants go and, they have big 51% signs posted.

At schools, the parking lot is ok, but, not the building or events.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings or whatever, but, it's how I feel about the issue.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:59 PM   #41
parrothead2581

You didn't hurt my feelings whatsoever HGKosteck . And in your neck of the woods, with an overstretched Sheriff's Dept., I would be shocked if you didn't carry. I was simply stating why I don't CCW. And I don't consider myself negligent. I would fight to the death for myself, family anf friends. Again, my lifestyle is not suited for it right now.

My lady and I both love baseball and good food, where they happen to sell alcohol; two places we can't carry. I doubt she'll change her lifestyle in those respects, but maybe I can convince her. If so, I have no problem carrying (just need to find a holster for a S&W 686 4" and a Colt Gov't to handle NC summers). In the meantime, I've made adjustments for defense. Aikido, Kendo, an ASP, and a pair of pocket knives. I think that's far from negligent. A firearm, isn't the end all, be all form of defense for me, and I own quite a few. When it's my time to go it's my time to go. Simple as that.

I promote people to carry them, I want them to carry them. However, it's just not right for me at this time.

No hard feelings HGKosteck. Stay safe...

Last edited by parrothead2581; January 8, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old January 8, 2006, 09:06 PM   #42
IndianaDean

Quote:
Keep a handgun on your hip.

Keep it hot.

At night, a longarm loaded and hot by the bedside.

Easy.
+1. I only have a couple of safes, and I don't want to leave loaded guns around the house where someone could find and get them if they broke in while no one was home. I keep one loaded by the bed and I carry one concealed around the house.
That way, I also get used to always having one on me.

And I don't agree with the comment about moving if one has to carry at home. The biggest danger there to me is being in condition one while at home. If a daytime home invasion occurred, being in condition 1 and not having a weapon right there to defend myself would likely cost me my life. Granted, it's very unlikely it would ever happen. But I think when you're at home and in that condition is when it is most likely to happen.
Old January 8, 2006, 09:10 PM   #43
Wildalaska

Quote:
Bad things can happen, believe it or not.
You can get hit on the head with a meteor, do you wear a tin pot all the time..

WildanddoyouwearaseatbeltAlaska
Old January 9, 2006, 09:16 AM   #44
Chris Phelps

When I was younger, I watched a movie called "the watcher". This movie explained in great detail about how the killer would hide in a house all night because people are alert at night... but during the morning, they felt safe wandering around their house with their guard down. I guess this movie scarred me for life. I am now prepared for pretty much anything.

My house: Each room downstairs has at least one knife hidden in each room, the upstairs holds 2-3 per room (hidden). I have one with a sheath screwed into the wall next to my bed, on rubber pads as to not make noise when I draw it. There is a folding (quick open) knife on my night stand, and the bulk of my knife collection is in a 4-drawer cabinet about 5 feet away from my bed. All of my firearms are stored in a cabinet downstairs, and any of them which have removable clips, the clips are loaded and sitting on the shelf just above the firearms. I also have my neighbor and best friend, Josh, on speed dial. He can see 3 sides of my house without even walking outside, and is well armed. He also has a key to the house. I am picking up a 9MM handgun next wednesday, and when I do, it will be loaded and sitting on my nightstand in place of my folder.

My bedroom is a smaller room in the shape of an L, and there is no overhead lighting over my bed, and the light switch by the door is connected to a small desk lamp near the door. I also have a remote controller for the switch. When it is flicked on, my bed is not illuminated to the point that you can see it.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 9, 2006, 10:32 AM   #45
Musketeer

Long Island Home Invasions

Long Island has had rampant home invasions over the past year. They have been nightime break ins while people are sleeping, forced front door entry, police imposters at the front door, back door entries, broken window entiries, on and on. They have taken place in good and bad areas. People have been caught yet the crimes go on. Occupants are often tied up and on many occasions roughed up. At least one woman I know of was molested. Just this pas Sunday an appartment full of people for a party in a nice area was invaded by a group of criminals who had everyone lay on the floor while they cleaned them and the place out.

Then there were the two invasions in RIchmond VA two weeks ago. In one a family of fours (including two girls under 10) were tied to chairs and had their throats cut, then left there with the house set on fire (it didn't take so the bodies were found intact). THe same crew killed another family of three less than a week later, again tied in chairs but the method of killing was not reported.

For the nightime break in while sleeping I am not nearly as worried. The first floor is patrolled by Colt, our 104 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback. He takes his home security role very seriously and only barks when something is there. The neighborhood trouble making teens know him by sight and sound and give him a wide berth. The family sleeps upstairs. The top draw of the dresser has my condition 1 1911 and spare mag with a high power flashlight. On the wife's side of the bed, on the top shelf of the closet and coverred by 20 pounds comforters is a Remington 870 18 1/2" 12 gage. It is a one second process to pull it out from under them, although there will be plenty of cleaning up afterwards. It is loaded but does not have one in the chamber. We have a four year old at present and the shottys location and condition (pump release must be pressed to actuate as well), combined with her limitiations make it safe at present. This will be a continuous re-evaluation process combined with education as she grows. No matter what though the family sleeping break in does not worry me as the dog will give us plenty of warning. The cell phones are upstairs and the staircase is easy to cover.

My real fear is the waking hours break. We have had many of these on Long Island. I am either wearing the 1911 IWB the whole time I am home and awake or will use a SmartCarry with a small concealable 9mm and spare mag. Our house is one that the home invaders would NOT leave with out a scratch as has happenned on 40 + occasions.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:35 AM   #46
Musketeer

Quote:
You can get hit on the head with a meteor, do you wear a tin pot all the time..
No but I do keep my tinfoil helemt on at night to prevent the secret mind control rays from the GPS sattelites from getting to my brain!

Seriously though. My house will probably never have a fire but I have a fire extinguisher. I do not expect to die at a young age but I have insurance for my family incase I do.

I have never heard of a person hit by a meteor but I know of plenty who have been killed by violent criminals, sometimes completely randomly.
Old January 9, 2006, 11:03 AM   #47
dfaugh

Prefer not to keep loaded guns around, so:

Front hall closet (next to front door): 9mm carbine, with magazine seperate
Family room (rear of house): SKS-M, loaded 30 rd mag nearby
Bedroom: upstairs, Yugo SKS 3 stripper clips handy (and a bayonet to boot)

CCTV around the house, at all approaches/directions(although I don't use it much)

Early warning system--5 German shepherds

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old January 9, 2006, 11:45 AM   #48
spacemanspiff

just do what i do:
keep a whiny liberal annoying roommate in the first room next to the front door. the intruder(s) will have more than enough time to occupy themselves with him while i don my armor and speedload ten extra AR mags. i can also set up my tripwire defenses and shaped charges as the intruder(s) approach my end of the home.

did i ever mention how tactical i am?
Old January 9, 2006, 01:27 PM   #49
gddyup

I carry my XD9 everywhere I can. When I get off duty, it comes on duty and does not leave my side until I go to bed. Then, it sits hidden under my bed within arms reach if needed. My wife now carrys her Kahr with us when we go out and it also sits on her side of the bed within easy reach if needed. There's no point in having a handgun where it's out of reach if needed because you never know when you might need it.

When I go to work, I check my bunker gear, helmet, air pack, and my regualtor/face mask every morning. In my bunker pants I carry 2 flashlights, 5 door chocks, 30-40 cement nails, a collapsable rescue tool, 25 ft of 9000 lb webbing, 25 ft of dynamic quick rope, 2 pairs of wire cutters, a rescue hook/seatbelt cutter, and 2 large carabineers. On my bunker coat I have another flashlight, my portable radio, an extra rescue hook, and my extrication gloves. When I go into a structure fire, depending on where and what I am tasked with, I'll be heading in with ANOTHER box light slung over my shoulder and typically a set of irons (axe and halligan) or the hoseline. Hopefully the day never comes where I get into a situation where I may have to use half this stuff, but I'm sure as hell glad I carry it with me every time! And that stuff gets damn heavy once you add in the free weight of just the bunker gear, helmet, and air pack (70-75 pounds in full gear with pack). I carry all this damn stuff not because I need it but because I might need it. If I ever get stuck in a situation where my life depends on those few small tools I brought into that building with me, I'll be damn happy they weren't sitting out on my engine or in my locker!!

If you have the means, the ability, and the training to use these possible life saving tools, it makes no sense to leave them somewhere where they will do you absolutely no good when your ass gets stuck "in the fire". There's a saying that instructors drill into the heads of all students who get into their first fire training class and that saying is "NEVER GET OFF YOUR TRUCK WITHOUT A TOOL!". Simply stated, never get caught without a tool. It might just save your life.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 9, 2006, 05:00 PM   #50
pickpocket

You know...I just remembered I had a similar conversation with a friend last week. He said that someone told him that if you're going to keep a handgun by the bed to NEVER keep it without one in the chamber. "Why?" I asked....
Well, apparently if you need it you won't have time to chamber a round...either that or you'll get tripped up worrying about whether or not you already have a round chambered and lose valuable reaction time....or because you could trip over yourself because you're not focused on the threat but instead of.... it went on and on.

Ok, so what a bunch of crap, that's what I say. If you're worried about blowing your hand off or having one of your kids grab it or whatever, keep the freaking thing in condition 3. I do. You know what!?! If you train yourself appropriately, then it's second nature to just rack the slide as you roll out of bed. If you get tripped up having to walk and chamber a round, then I would question whether or not you should be defending your home with a handgun anyways

Ok... had to get that out there

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"