The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Sender

Remington Spartan O/U

Has anyone heard about or used a Remington Spartan O/U? At the gunshop the other day and they look like a pretty good gun for the price ($469.00). I'm thinking of a 12 gauge for clays.
Any input would be appreciated.

Dave
Old April 6, 2005, 06:34 AM   #2
Ruger4570

Wish I could help.. I have seen the web site and I suppose if Remington markets them they can't be ALL bad
Old April 6, 2005, 10:40 AM   #3
dakotashooter2

I'm not sure remington is making them. Most likely an import (like stoeger)being sold under the remington name. Probably function well enough but I would question the warrantee, parts availability and customer service. It is possible they would have to be "shipped out of the country" for service or customer service may mean dealing with someone in another country ( like taurus) that may not speak english well. It has been suggested thet these are "field duty" guns and may not hold up to the rigors of contiuous sporting games.
Old April 6, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
tokarevman

Yeah i would stay away from them, there not american made guns. I think and i may be way of there made in south america is what i herd. 99% of the time you get what you pay for with an O/U and if your shooting clays with it becaus it is really easy to shoot 200 or 300 rounds in a outing, and nothing sucks more than a gun acting up when you are trying to hit some clays. If you have your heart set on an O/U look for a used one there are good deals to be had for around your price range.
Old April 6, 2005, 12:03 PM   #5
AKhunter

The Spartan line is the same as the Baikal line that used to be imported by EAA. They are made in Russia at the Izhmash arms factory, I believe. You can likely find the same gun new under the Baikal name for cheaper just because it doesn't have "remington" on it. I've never shot one, they have a good reputation for reliability.

AK
Old April 6, 2005, 06:30 PM   #6
tokarevman

If in fact they are Russian, they may not be that bad, russians tend to build prety good stuff. But yeah try to find the same one that does not say Remington, it will be cheaper.
Old April 7, 2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Sender

Thanks everyone. I will continue to shop around. I noticed on the Remington sight they show a Spartan for clays with a ported barrel. Little over $500.

How about a Gazelle O/U? Any input?
Old April 8, 2005, 12:01 AM   #8
mikikanazawa

I shot an handled a Spartan O/U. Nice piece for the money; I'm not sure you can get an O/U with a wood stock that cheaply from anyone else.
Old April 11, 2005, 09:39 PM   #9
Skeetin'870

In my skeet team the best person on our team has a father who is a gunsmith and he, her, and his friends are all using the EAA's having cycled a few rounds through them they are good guns I am seriosly considering buying one. Her father said he would smith it to me for $600
Old April 13, 2005, 07:43 AM   #10
johnbt

I was standing and looking at a few of them at the gun show Saturday and they seemed to be nice guns for the money. No, they're not finished as well as a Citori or a Ruger, but I was impressed for the price and they just plain felt solid.

I started talking to another customer about them and his father has a 12 ga. and he has a 12 ga. over .308 or something (I don't remember.) They have been very happy with them.

I will say that of the 3 I shouldered 2 of them didn't come close to fitting(beautiful view of the entire right side of the barrel) and the other one was perfect.

John
Old April 25, 2005, 08:48 PM   #11
Con4x4

I've seen the Spartans at Dunham's and was not impressed by the fit and finish. I've never shot one so I cannot comment in that department, but if you're looking for an inexpensive O/U, check out the Lanber 2097 at CDNN. I got mine for $589.
Old April 25, 2005, 11:32 PM   #12
Romulus

Fausti!!!!
Sold as "Traditions" at wally world for $450

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old April 26, 2005, 08:12 PM   #13
GaryXD

I was comparing the Russian guns with the Turkish guns last trip to the gun store. I think the Turkish stuff is worth the extra money.
Old April 26, 2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Romulus

...and the Italian stuff is definitely worth the lesser money

just my two lira

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old April 29, 2005, 05:03 AM   #15
Sender

OK, I bought the Spartan 12 gauge O/U. It was pretty stiff and gritty feeling when first put together. After polishing the machined surfaces and a good cleaning, it works very well now. Went out and shot a round of clays. This is one gun I will enjoy thoroughly form now on!

Dave
Old April 29, 2005, 12:50 PM   #16
dakotashooter2

Saw a Spartan and Baikal side by side in the gun rack this week. Both had Baikal, Russia stamped on the reciever. The only difference was the price and remington stamp above the Baikal on the Spartan gun. I've had a similar experience as Johnbt..... every one I have brought to my shoulder gives me a good view of the right side. Many stocks are off set so much it looks like the gun or at least the stock, is bent. I know a guy who has one that fits him and he is very happy with it.
Old April 29, 2005, 10:12 PM   #17
drinks

Spartan o/u

Those Baikals really get around, EAA was selling them for a while, including o/u double rifles, CDNN closed a bunch out for less than $300, Walmart is selling a ss shotgun for $90 now, Savage sold some under the Savage name, still had the russian markings on the bottom, then Savage sold some more under the Stavens name for about what EAA was getting for them and now Remington appears to have outbid the rest, BUT, calls to Remington about some of the models being advertised now, gets an answer that they may be available in the last quarter of the year.
Seems no one is really tending to the store.
Don