The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
bclark215

akdal mka 1919

I recently saw a video where a guy had a 12 gauge in an ar15 platform. He had it loaded with buck shot and was hog hunting. The hogs took off running and he proceded to shoot 5 or 6 pigs on the run before they got out of range. With a 10 round clip full of 3in oo buckshot you can put a whole lot of lead downrange. I began looking in to mag fed semi auto shotguns and found the akdal mka 1919. A 12g in a platform based on the ar15. I am already very familiar with the ar15 platform and I am very interrested in this shotgun. Does anyone who has ever shot one of these have any pros or cons on this gun. I was also wandering if the ipper from this shotgun will fit on a standard ar15 or ar10 lower?
Old November 25, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2
vostracker

12ga AR

bclark215. The mka 1919 is bascally a Rem1100 dressed up. No, it will not fit on a AR lower. Hope this helped a bit
Old November 25, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3
bclark215

Thanks. The ar15 similarities dont really matter to me. The thing that realy attracted me was the mag feed. Something about having 10 or even 20 rounds of 12 gauge buckshot just seemed like it could do some damage to a large group of pigs. Ive also looked into saiga 12s but I cant seem to find one as cheap as the mka 1919.
Old November 26, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Tejicano

I have had a Saiga-12 for a few years and just picked up an MKA-1919 last week. I got this for home defense primarily so I chopped off the stock and put a folding stock on it. (I also replaced the trigger, sear, hammer, and gas piston with US made parts to be 922r compliant due to the folding stock.)

The upper is aluminum and the lower - receiver, magazine well, pistol grip, and buttstock - are all one piece of polymer. The top of the upper is a picatinny rail - the carry handle/rear sight and front sight (both also polymer) - can be quickly removed. I put an EOTech holo-sight on mine and dropped the plastic sight assemblies.

This gun is quite light and handy. All controls - except for the charging handle - are basically the same as those on an AR so anybody familiar with that platform will have very little to figure out. The charging handle is the same as that on the AK system.

When you break this shotgun down the upper, barrel, and bolt assemblies look very much like any standard tube-fed semi-auto shotgun except that the tube is thinner since it is only the gas/recoil system.
Old November 26, 2013, 08:25 AM   #5
bclark215

Thanks. Tejicano have you had any problems with feeding. Ive read about some people having feeding issues.
Old November 26, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Tejicano

I was only in the US for a week - too busy with other things to get in any range time. I had ordered this gun a few weeks ago and my FFL dealer held it for me until I got back.

If for some reason I do get a chance to be back in the US and do some shooting I will write up a short review comparing/contrasting the Saiga-12 to the MKA-1919. Both of mine are folding stock, minimal legal length versions so they are similar configurations.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:11 PM   #7
bclark215

Thanks tejicano that would be great.