The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2013, 09:55 AM   #76
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Gun stores are in a bit of a fix in times like this. There was a great post over on reddit by a gun store owner. The problem is that unless you are a huge gun store moving large amounts of product, when the supply chain tightens up it is very hard for them to get product. They are in line behind all the big boys.
Exactly. For all the frustration we may feel at not being able to find ammo to shoot or components to reload, imagine being a small LGS owner who's struggling just to get merchandise to sell so he can keep the doors open and the lights on. The stakes are more than a little bit higher for him than they are for me.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:26 AM   #77
eldermike

I would bet I have 30lbs (or more, not really sure) of powder right now. But it's a mix of powders as I reload about 10-12 different rounds. A pound of bullseye will makeup 2,300 38special 148grain HBWC target loads. I have about 3/4 pound left so I am not out. Thought about trading some H335 or 4895 or 4350 for some. 4831 is another one I am a bit low on but not in trouble. But I can also wait. Note: I don't want to own enough bullseye to load 18,600 rounds (8lbcan) and that's why I don't buy bullseye in anything other than 1 lb jugs.

But that's a rabbit trail and not what this thread is about.

This thread is about the local gun store becoming a crack dealer to a bunch of birds that think the sky is falling. And for a serious realoader/shooter is of not much value today. And I think that's sad.

I spent every lunch hour in a LGS (that's local gun store) for many years just hanging out with the guys that I shot bench rest rifle with on weekends. When I was shooting IHMSA I had a local store that the owner was also one of these hand cannon shooters and it was fun to hang out in there also.

I hate it for the new shooters simply because we don't talk about shooting all we talk about is supply.

But I also said in the begining of this thread, I am blowing off steam here.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:31 AM   #78
William T. Watts

I'm not wealthy, at my current rate I probably don't shoot 3-400 rounds a year and that covers my 45ACP. When I purchase components I usually purchase large lots to cover my shooting needs for several years. I get a good deal and when shortages come along I'm not affected. I do not see a solution anytime soon, remember this bump in the road the next time components become available.. William
Old March 14, 2013, 02:52 PM   #79
snuffy

I have enough components to load 10,000 rounds of various calibers right now. How/why? Because I buy ahead of my demands for ammo. If that qualifies me as a hoarder, then so-be-it!

I call my self "prepared". Right now, I couldn't buy a single primer,(other than shotgun), for anything. Powder valley is out of stock on all but one primer, that's for loading berdan primed shells.

Here's a thought, be a steady, faithful customer to a local gunshop. I'm one to 2 different shops, they keep a few primers in back for their good customers, me included. I don't NEED any right now though because I bought ahead of the current madness.

They also keep a small supply of primers, powder, bullets, and brass for sale WITH a reloading press. Imagine some new reloader wanting to buy a loader, only to be told there's no primers, powder, bullets available to use with it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 14, 2013, 03:00 PM   #80
manta49

Quote:
Some major companies involved in the firearms business are refusing to sell to some states and LE and government agencies in those states
Who are the major companies involved. ?
Old March 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #81
dickttx

In the only two places in Fort Worth that I am aware of that sell reloading supplies, primers have not been below $5/C, $50/K, etc in the three years I have been here. As a result I soon found that if I order 10/K of primers from Powder Valley I can get a free 8# jug of HP38, compared to local prices.
I realized several months ago that if I want it I am just maintaining a normal supply. If you want it you are hoarding.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:51 PM   #82
Colorado Redneck

The irony of it all

Obama has been a great ally to arms manufacturers and munitions producers. This paranoia effect is amazing, as most of the fear is irrational. Makes ya wonder how irrational some amongst us would be if there was a real threat.

When primers started to get scarce last fall, we bought a couple thousand extra to be sure we could shoot thru the winter. We don't shoot a lot compared to many members of TFL, but still, it is an active hobby for both of us. So in that way, we became hoarders too. The "shortage" of 2008 was a lesson learned, as I had just really started some serious loading. Scrounging for supplies was enough to tick me off, especially when there was only a "rumor" that started the shortage. Still shake my head over the dire predictions that we were headed for revolution, guns would be confiscated, that we all need to have unregistered guns and bury them in the back yard in PVC pipe, in such a way that an aerial search (how the he** ever that could get done) wouldn't fine your "secret stash." Really.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:49 PM   #83
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck
This paranoia effect is amazing, as most of the fear is irrational. Makes ya wonder how irrational some amongst us would be if there was a real threat.
You might what to tell that to the people of NY, California, Origin, Colorado, etc. etc. Do you know Magpul is pulling out of Colorado because of the recent people control bill that passed? It's happening right in front of you. Do you have any idea what Feinstein, Schumer, Boxer and etc. etc. are up to in congress? Do you know that Barry will sing any people control bill that hits his desk? People aren't paranoid they see what is happening across the country. It's not paranoia when one can actually see it happening. Anyone that can't see it is either blind or stupid.

It's not happening in my state but it just happend in yours.

Anyone that talks of burring firearms is an idiot. If it's time to bury them it's time to use them.

Last edited by Jerry45; March 14, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:03 PM   #84
Colorado Redneck

Jerry---4 years ago the same stuff was being said. In a couple of years, we will see how accurate your paranoia turns out.

I live in Colorado. If Magpul wants to leave, that is their business decision. It is not a big deal to 99% of us. It is mainly a threat on the part of that small company trying to flex muscle that is really nonexistant.

I don't see the Colorado legislation as a threat to my 2nd ammendment rights. So you and I disagree. Free country.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:57 AM   #85
A pause for the COZ

I have a great LGS, He said to me when I asked about the 1000 primer limit he had. As I was picking up my 1000 LP primers.

He said... Listen, I am going to sell every primer I can get delivered to me.
So I am not missing out on a thing by not selling my whole supply of primers to one guy who other wise never shops here.

I have people who have been buying from me for 20 years and they expect me to have something for them to buy.

He also pointed out the fact because he had primers in stock. I was also grabbing a 4 pound jug of Red Dot and 200 S&W L cases.
Would you be in here to buy those cases if I did not have primers for you to get?

Good Man.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:48 AM   #86
Sevens

Though I've been handloading on & off for the past 24 or so years, I did -NOT- see the drought coming after the '08 election, and I came inches away from running out of primers. I made a big order with Graf's to get more -- and I waited eleven months to get them.

I'll continue to laugh at any moron on a message board that defines me as a hoarder due to the fact that I align my priorities such that I'm not worried about how I'll be able to continue to have ammo for every range session I have, which is typically 2-3 times a month, where I tend to burn 600-800 center fire rounds at each session.

I don't have mounting debt. Actually, I don't have -ANY- debt. I take care of my children. I have food to eat and I'm still working a physical job nearly 50 hours a week and they pay me by the hour.

I feel awful for folks new to handloading that are being shut out of tools or components.

For loudmouths on forums who cry foul... well: If anyone has a problem with the idea that I'm not worried about components, please tell me the SPECIFIC component that you can't find so I can tell you how much of it I have and laugh at your ignorance for not having any of it.

While you are all pantie-twisted, don't forget to ask me how much I'm selling primers, powder and component bullets for. WAIT, I'll save you the trouble: I'm not selling a bit of it. Not even when these guys are getting $75 per thousand for primers.

Local guy in town here has two Federal bulk packs of rimfire, the old style red box, 550 rounds a piece. He's offering them at $165. They were selling bulk packs of rimfire at the last gun show for $50 each. But sorry, I'm not selling the 12 of them I have, at any price. I'm going to shoot them.

Heh, "hoarder." That's rich. I suppose I am a hoarder... and you are an absolute fool and it's hilarious that you aren't bright enough to have bought some of this stuff when it was available.

It's okay, though. Really. Next time around, they'll call you a hoarder also and you can laugh at the ignorant ones who didn't buy when they could and have nothing but energy to point fingers now -- since they don't have any components.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:54 AM   #87
rajbcpa

Humans can live 4 days without food and water. I cannot say the same for primers, powder, brass, and bullets and that is why I hoard.

I live in NY and VERY soon I will not be able to buy supplies on the Internet. I'm putting my house up for sale Saturday and I plan to move to a different state that is more gun friendly.

Tenn seems like a great candidate and it allows open carry which is a plus. I'm 57 and I cannot wait 5 years for the NY law to be overturned in the courts.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:37 AM   #88
hunter52

My "LGS" is nearly 80 miles away , I cannot run down there every morning to check stock so quite a lot of my supply has come from internet sales.
Prices at the local shop have always been higher than other stores, like Cabelas (112 miles) , reason being the small stores are much like us in regards to quantity buying.
The more you buy the cheaper it is, smaller dealers cannot stock the same volume as larger stores or chains nor can they afford to sit on merchandise for any lengthy time, so the first one in the door with money in hand usually gets the goods.
As far as hoarding, guess I have been all my life, when something I use comes on sale I buy as much as I can afford , so, I can last a couple years on my supply. I do sell or trade with family or friends, at "normal" prices.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:14 AM   #89
Spats McGee
Staff

I've gone in and deleted some posts because there's just too much chest-thumping and bickering going on. When that happens, it's time to shut it down.