The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1
dado5

case bulging

I had a case separation at the range today and want some opinions. This is for a savage model 12 22-250. i bought the gun second hand from a friend who glass bedded it, new stock and worked up a load for it. I dont know how many rounds through it. This is the load he gave me and I have been shooting:
OAL: 2.407
50 gr V Max
38.0 gr H380
Fed 215mag primer

My problem is that every round I shoot comes out with a bulge near the base, more so than I am used to seeing with any other rifle, I am wondering if there is a problem with the gun/chamber.

I measured my new unfired winchester cases and they are 0.4620 at the base of the case. all the once fired cases have a buldge 0.3015 in. up from the bottom of the case which measures 0.4660 in. The case which separated was an older case and not a once fired. The primer looks a little flattened to me. I dont think the load is unusually hot except for I dont know what to think of the mag primer. I tried to upload pics but am having trouble with photobucket right now.

Maybe this is normal for this gun and I should just keep a closer eye on the age of the brass, maybe neck size only, or I should get the gun to a gunsmith. sorry for the rambling post.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:45 PM   #2
mikld

How does the rifle shoot factory ammo?
Old October 1, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
1stmar

That's a starting load, with standard primer. I don't think you should be seeing flattened primers and headspace separation. Are you full length sizing?
Old October 1, 2012, 09:10 PM   #4
McShooty

It would seem that your chamber is a bit oversize toward the mouth. Where you describe the bulge occuring is about where the case thins out ahead of the web. A bulge of .004" might not seem like much, but I would be concerned about it. If you full length size on loading that will work the brass and make case separations likely after a few loads. You might be OK and get several reloads if you neck size only. I have to wonder about a fellow who gets a new stock for his rifle, glass beds it, works up a load, then sells it to his buddy, but then I am a suspicious type.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
243winxb

Quote:
The case which separated was an older case and not a once fired.
This would seem to be your problem, brass of an unknow history. The load is ok. Mag. primer is good for that powder. Try sizing your new brass with .005" between the shell holder and FL sizing die. See if sized brass will chamber. If it does, this will help the brass last longer. Check this each time you load for at least 3 loading, as the brass may not fit the chamber after it been reloaded a few times. http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0Remington.pdf The OAL seems long?? But if enough bullet base is in the case, not a problem.