The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2011, 06:35 PM   #26
flashhole

Another word about the LCT press. A lot of folks who own Forster B-2 presses rave about the free floating of the die in the lock ring making superior ammo. If that is a valuable press trait the LCT does the same thing. It has total lateral movement with the die mounted in the turret assembly that is self-centering to the case captured in the shell holder on the ram, at least within the confines of meaningful play. Its mechanical stop is the top of the turret capture assembly. It is a simple task to adjust the correct depth for any die used in the reloading process.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 6, 2011, 10:08 AM   #27
BDS-THR

Quote:
I like the idea of using the funnel with the dippers.
If you are loading rifle cartridges, please weigh every charge or use a powder drop with verified weights.

Powder scoop may be OK for pistol plinking rounds using start-mid range load data, but I would not recommend it for high-near max loads due to variations in scoops.

If you do use powder scoop, some powders like Promo/Red Dot produce fairly consistent shot groups even though scoop-to-scoop weights varies. Out of curiosity, I test loaded some .38 Spl rounds with a scoop and Promo. After some practice, I was scooping within .2-.3 gr variation between scoops. I got 3" shot groups at 10 yards out of 2" S&W snubbie with these loads.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:52 AM   #28
The Earl o Sammich

Every time I buy Redding stuff it just exudes quality. You should take a look at them.
Old February 6, 2011, 12:17 PM   #29
flashhole

I second verifying powder drop weights like BDS suggests. With practice you can get repeatability down to .1 grains without much trouble using a scoop. Some powders are easier than others to meter well with a scoop, examples are ball powders and short-cut stick powders are easy to scoop consistently. Flake powders are not as consistent with scoops. I use scoops for all buy my 7mm Rem Mag. I don't have a scoop big enough for it.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 6, 2011, 04:09 PM   #30
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
Another word about the LCT press. A lot of folks who own Forster B-2 presses rave about the free floating of the die in the lock ring making superior ammo. If that is a valuable press trait the LCT does the same thing. It has total lateral movement with the die mounted in the turret assembly that is self-centering to the case captured in the shell holder on the ram, at least within the confines of meaningful play. Its mechanical stop is the top of the turret capture assembly. It is a simple task to adjust the correct depth for any die used in the reloading process.
Well, sorta... With the Co-Ax, only the die and its lock ring floats. the die is completely balanced, without a turret head and other dies and tools trying to tilt it off axis. Sure, once there's enough pressure to lift the entire turret plate and installed tools, then they'll all equal out against the stops. But in the meantime, it will be crooked, and once there is enough force to lift the hole plate, there may be enough friction that it no longer can re-align with the ram. Is this enough to make a difference? Depends a lot of other factors. Lots of people are able to use the LCT to make acceptably accurate loads for themselves.

Andy
Old February 6, 2011, 04:28 PM   #31
wncchester

Peet: "I have an RCBS 1500 and a Frankford Arsenal $20 scale."

Well, the 1500 is a lot more than a scale. But the scale portion is still, as I see it, a cheap scale, a "throw-away" instrument. Saying I paid more for my cheap scale than others or my cheapest scale is worse than my more costly cheap scale misses my point.

Fact is, ALL sensitive scales, digital or beam, are sensitive to air currents. Sadly, cheap electronic scales are also sensitive to ambient temperature, line or battery voltage, static, stray electrical fields, leveling, etc, and they NEVER last as long as a beam that's not abused. I can't even visualize how I would get any benefit from a digital scale or a digital dumpster. Considering the prices and problems with chreap electonic gadgets, I'll take a beam scale everytime.

Glad you and those others that haven't had problems - yet - are happy and hope you never have a scale failure; I KNOW I won't!
Old February 6, 2011, 04:53 PM   #32
Sevens

But when your extremely gadgety PC and and 'net connection go bonkers (damn bunch of cheap micro chips!) you'll have to go back to being grisly about electronic scales to real people and not just the handoading and reloading forum!
Old February 6, 2011, 11:17 PM   #33
dnmccoy

I think Im gonna pull the trigger and call Kempfs soon.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:01 PM   #34
Smokey Joe

OK, I've resisted long enough...

Quote:
Noob seeking Jedi-like advice
Your feelings you must search, Paduan.

There. I feel better.

--Smokey Joe