The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 3, 2009, 03:24 PM   #1
RichardC

Best Home Protecter

I have always thought the best and most efficient tool to use against a home intruder is a 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun. I'm interested in any comments about this pro or con.
Old October 3, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
#18indycolts

i agree
Old October 3, 2009, 03:45 PM   #3
comn-cents

I like dogs better. Good chance the BG will be scared off before you need your shotgun. I like handguns better when it comes to HD. One with a light attached so its easier to open doors or use the phone etc. Nothing wrong with a shotgun that's for sure.
Old October 3, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Dwight55

If I had my absolute druthers, . . . give me my 1911 any day, . . . it is more manuverable, . . . carries more rounds, . . . is more quickly reloaded, . . . and I can grab it and be up & on the way before I can even reach for my shotty.

OTOH, . . . if I lived in the desert southwest with no neighbors nearby, . . . I would have a ranch house, . . . one hall to my bedroom, . . . and a M1A socom with 25 round magazines would then be the preferred piece. Not any wall in the place could stand that round, . . . wherever Mr. Bg shows his carcass, . . . that is where the deputies will find his carcass.

This subject has been beaten to death on this forum, . . . and it all boils down to 2 things: personal opinion and the particular application. Shottys are fine if you don't need over 6 or 7 rounds. After that you are on your own with a long funky club.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 3, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

The operator is more important than the tool... most any gun will do, if YOU will do.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Shotguns, IMHO, almost always work for a home defense situation. Barricade yourself in, don't go through the house, your life being more valuable than anything beyond that bedroom door. A shotgun provides some of the heaviest firepower while allowing for less penetration in the form of shot. And as far as reloading goes, you don't need to wait for it to be empty before starting to reload. Two shots out, two shots in. And lets face it, how many people do you expect to break in? With a sidearm in tandem with that shotgun, you could hold off quite a few if you play it smart and stay in the bedroom. Say a 1911 and 2 mags with a Remington 870 (I prefer pumps) and a tube extension to, say, 7 rounds total with a 6 round side saddle, take cover and you can hold down the fort until the police arrive.

Last edited by WeedWacker; October 3, 2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: error
Old October 3, 2009, 09:41 PM   #7
fisherman66

Quote:
Barricade yourself in, don't go through the house, your life being more valuable than anything beyond that bedroom door.
I'm guessing you don't have children.

I'll take a well trained dog and ANY firearm over just a shotgun every time. That said, I have a shotgun with high brass duck loads and two not so well trained dogs.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:56 PM   #8
CWPinSC

A loud dog and a good alarm system is best. If the situation gets beyond that, the best weapon is you. Use what you shoot best and feel most comfortable with.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:10 PM   #9
BillCA

If you have room to swing a long gun around, I might be tempted to suggest a 16-20" barreled AR-15 in 5.56mm or 6.8 SPC. Low recoil, lightweight (without all the tacticool goodies), easy to use and plenty of ammo.

For a shotgun, if other members of the house will be using the shotgun for defense, it may be a 20-gauge semi is the better deal. Lower recoil, faster shooting, no need to remember to pump (or short-stroke) the action, etc. Less intimidating and abusive to women, elderly and youngsters who may be forced to use it.

A shotgun's effectiveness depends on how many hits you make with buckshot (not birdshot). At close range a shotgun wound more resembles an artillery wound than a gunshot wound. Even a 20-ga with #3 buck gives you twenty .25 caliber pellets moving like a train.

For years, I used an .30 caliber M-1 Carbine and never felt undergunned... with a 30-rd magazine. Light, small, easy to handle but the round is somewhat underpowered for a rifle. But at close range it'll work fine.

As others have mentioned, it's not always the right choice. If you're a single parent with small kids, you will need a free hand to carry the youngster(s) to a safer room. If your house is very dark at night and you need a flashlight, a handgun is more versatile when combined with a flashlight (and still allows a free hand). Apartments, townhomes, condos may all dictate a lower powered firearm like a handgun to reduce hazards to neighbors.

A good dog that will bark if it hears someone approaching the house or fiddling with a door/window makes ownership well worth it. That noise can give you the seconds needed to deploy a long gun. Couple that with motion detector lights near entrances and you'll likely be left alone.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:58 PM   #10
jrothWA

COmes down to..

whatever hits the hand.

Do think a M1 Carbine is about right, using the soft-nosed ammo.
My daughters (College) can handle.
Stores nicely with butt-pouch and two 15's inside.
Old October 4, 2009, 01:11 AM   #11
RNB65

The best home protector is the weapon that you're most familiar with, have a lot of practice with, and can operate with absolute self confidence under very high stress conditions. The answer will vary widely from person to person but coming face-to-face with an armed intruder is not a good time to discover that in the heat of the moment you forget to disengage the safety. It may well be the last thought you ever have. My choices are a Glock 17 backed up by a Rem 870.
Old October 4, 2009, 02:34 AM   #12
Buzzcook

Shotgun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMs9NudasVI

After good locks and a noisy dog, a shotgun is pretty hard to beat for home defense.
Old October 4, 2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Your training and mindset are more important. The shotgun is not a wonder weapon because it has a big hole in the end.

And as stated before this is a classic debate that gets filled with cliches. I get racked with pain every time I read a shotgun debate.

A quality handgun in 38 SPL, 9mm or greater and a good light + tactics/mindset will work as well as as a newbie with a shotgun.

If not, please reference incidents were it is clearly established that the homeowner came to ill because he or she didn't have a shotgun?
Old October 4, 2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Dave R

Dog is probably the best deterrent with the least likelihood that you will have to face legal troubles from deterrent.
Old October 4, 2009, 04:11 PM   #15
besafe2

Lots of good answers, but I can not argue against a shotgun
Old October 4, 2009, 04:51 PM   #16
mrt949

BUZZCOOK =that's the BEST ALARM SYSTEM EVER

Last edited by mrt949; October 4, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old October 4, 2009, 11:56 PM   #17
Terry A

Of the guns I own, the XD-45 is my first choice for inside the house. The shotgun or AR type carbines take two hands most of the time. Cornering is a problem. With the .45, I get plenty of firepower and if needed, can free up a hand to do other things that will need done in such a situation.

If I was 'hunkered down" in the basement with the family, I would take my M4 because of the added rounds. If I was outside for some reason, like Dwight, I'd like the Socom.

As others have stated, this is mostly everyone's personal preferances. Whatever YOU are comfy and good with, THAT should be your choice. If it's the venerable .12ga, so be it!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old October 5, 2009, 07:13 AM   #18
Skans

I'll take a handgun over a shotgun any day for home protection. I can store it easier, it's concealable, it's quieter (no cha-chink), it holds more rounds, it's more lethal than some of the birdshot loads people use for home defense, it's more manouverable, and it doesn't totally mess up your entire house.

Other than the "cha-chink", which I know some people just love, I don't see any reason to use a shotgun for home defense.
Old October 5, 2009, 03:25 PM   #19
markj

My 4 dogs can and will deter anyone from staying on my place if I tell em to get em off. (the dogs).
Old October 5, 2009, 07:27 PM   #20
jgcoastie

As noted many times above, the best home protector is you. Whoever you are, to be the best home protector possible you should have some form of hand to hand and weapons training, a gun of some sort, and the proper defensive mindset. Everything after that just makes things easier for you (alarm system, floodlights, CCTV system, dogs, 6" steel exterior doors, 3' deep concrete walls, "bulletproof" windows, whatever suits your fancy). The most important part of the equation is you and your family (those that are old enough to handle and understand the severity of firearms used in SD/HD) being armed and ready.

FWIW: My main HD gun is my Glock G22 - .40S&W, outfitted with a Glock laser/light rail combo.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 5, 2009, 09:35 PM   #21
bigghoss

the very best weapons are illegal or highly restricted in this country. AA-12 or MP5-k would be best
Old October 5, 2009, 10:01 PM   #22
confirmed shooter

Every-one knows the sound of a 12 guage being put into battery. That with a dog so you can at least get your pants on makes for a safe house, at least as safe as is leagle.
Old October 5, 2009, 10:12 PM   #23
Kyo

i agree with dog. dog should scare any threat off. if not, i say someone has a mental problem or is armed so they aren't scared of the dog.
Dog>shotgun>rifle>handgun. in close quarters handgun moves up to just behind the dog.
And although I agree everyone knows what a shotgun rack sounds like, I would say 100% of the people at your door know that the loud barking is a dog unless they are mentally unstable like I mentioned before. I know from experience that the dog is a way better deterrent than anything else you have.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:34 AM   #24
wvshootist

I keep my pump shotgun with one in the chamber. I don't want to make that noise of it being stroked into battery. Both my shotgun and Colt commander are within arms reach and ready to go. All I need to do is click off the safety.

http://mountainperspectives.blogspot.com/
Old October 6, 2009, 09:32 AM   #25
Mark Milton

Too big, too bulky, to slow to move in confined spaces, not to mention slow to fire when dealing with multiple attackers.

It looks great in movies but in the real world the one-hand gun was designed for CQB for just those reasons.

Plus, most people dont' realize double ought buck will go through about three or four walls before stopping. If you have people in your family, in your house, you could hit them as easily as an intruder.

One of my friends homes was riddled in a drive by about 30 years ago. The pellets went through the outerwall, went through the bedroom wall, went down the hall, went through the bathroom wall and stopped against the far side of the house, which had a brick rear wall.