The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 24, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
gunslinger555

who makes kentucky long rifles?

im looking for a kentucky flintlock rifle (brand new) does anyone know of any firearms co. that makes them? my father told me about when he was my age that they had kits that were cheaper and you just put them together do they still make these? if so who?
Old July 24, 2006, 10:45 PM   #2
Doubletaptap

You can check out
Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders
Caywood Gunmakers
Pedersoli
Dixie Gun Works
Track Of The Wolf just to name a few.
Just type kentucky long rifles in your search engine and you'll be drooling fer days!!!
Old July 25, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
arcticap

It can often actually cost more in the long run to build yourself a rifle than to simply buy a factory production rifle. Plus, the factory rifles often have more warranty coverage.

Here's some rifles:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...141&id=0012642

You can sometimes find Traditions rifles below these factory list prices:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/es...8Side+Locks%29

http://www.armisport.com/eng/dettagl...ttoFamiglia=12

The prices listed here are in Canadian dollars which would be cheaper than the exchange rate in U.S. Dollars:
(They also sell Pedersoli)
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-armisport/A...ky-rifles.shtm
Old July 25, 2006, 09:51 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

You pay for what you get.

I've seen kit versions of the guns that big stores like Cabela sells and they're good for starters. I've also seen kits that require a lot of work and the parts aren't even quite right. I've also seen kits that require some work but the parts are terrific. It all depends on what you want and for authenticity, you pay bigger bucks.

One thing about kits though. Even if you buy a good $700 kit that has potential to make a $5k gun, if your workmanship is amateurish, you have a $700 gun (price of parts plus no $ for labor of assembly). That same kit put into the hands of a craftsman produces a $5k gun plus.

My first BP rifle was a kit and it's a Spanish cheapie. Still, it was what was required to get me into the game of blackpowder rifle shooting and I still love that gun to this day. It was on the dealer's bargain table for $45 (1988-89).

About the only kits I would buy today are Jim Chamber kits. He makes his own line of locks (Siler) and warrants them (break a part and Jim will send you a new one). If you're serious and want to take a class on building guns, Chambers is the way to go.
Old July 25, 2006, 09:52 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

You pay for what you get.

I've seen kit versions of the guns that big stores like Cabela sells and they're good for starters. I've also seen kits that require a lot of work and the parts aren't even quite right. I've also seen kits that require some work but the parts are terrific. It all depends on what you want and for authenticity, you pay bigger bucks.

One thing about kits though. Even if you buy a good $700 kit that has potential to make a $5k gun, if your workmanship is amateurish, you have a $700 gun (price of parts plus no $ for labor of assembly). That same kit put into the hands of a craftsman produces a $5k gun plus.

My first BP rifle was a kit and it's a Spanish cheapie. Still, it was what was required to get me into the game of blackpowder rifle shooting and I still love that gun to this day. It was on the dealer's bargain table for $45 (1988-89).

In selecting a builder and there is no shortage of builders, find one that builds the "style" that you like. Some builders build for certain periods or copy certain guns. Others will try anything. You want someone who can build the gun you envision.

About the only kits I would buy today are Jim Chamber kits. He makes his own line of locks (Siler) and warrants them (break a part and Jim will send you a new one). If you're serious and want to take a class on building guns, Chambers is the way to go.
Old July 25, 2006, 10:31 PM   #6
Keegster

Pedersoli makes excellent rifles. I bought their kit version in .45 flint.
The parts were very well made and it had a nice walnut stock instead of "select hardwood."

If you were to go with the kit version, there is a lot of work to do. All brass furniture comes in the rough cast and the stock has some work on it, but if you are handy with files and sandpaper, it can turn out beautiful. Mine sure did.