The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

What's up with Chrony Chronograph's $$$

I plan to buy a new chrony soon. I have been watching the prices a little and it seems that the Chrony Chronographs are on sale almost everywhere I have looked. This week I found them droped another 5-10 bucks depending on the model.

Has anyone the "Inside Scoop" on these? Are they about to switch to better electronics and use more digital technology with some new models soon to be released?

Seems like something is up with pricing and it makes me want to wait a while.

What do you know about this? Anyone have a Chrony secret they want to talk about?
Old September 29, 2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Zekewolf

They're always on sale somewhere.
Old September 29, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Toney

Gotta get you one.You can't tell what your loads are doing just by listening to them. You'll be very suprised. We got a Beta Master at the pawn shop for $50.
Old September 29, 2005, 10:21 PM   #4
Alaskee

Strategic name shift

I bought mine back when it was called a "Master Beta".
Old September 29, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5
RugerOldArmy

Quote:
I bought mine back when it was called a "Master Beta".
Rumor has it there were liability concerns related to this model, some folks claiming it caused blindness.
Old September 30, 2005, 07:01 AM   #6
Zekewolf

Here's a serious tip. Don't use the metal rods for the skyscreens; get some wooden dowels and cut them to the proper length. First time you shoot one of the dowels, you'll be glad that it wasn't one of the metal rods!
Old September 30, 2005, 08:59 AM   #7
Leftoverdj

Thankee, Zeke. That had not ocurred to me.
Old September 30, 2005, 10:31 AM   #8
Edward429451

Quote:
Don't use the metal rods for the skyscreens; get some wooden dowels and cut them to the proper length.
Shish-ka-bob sticks work well.
Old October 3, 2005, 07:09 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
First time you shoot one of the dowels, you'll be glad that it wasn't one of the metal rods!
I could be wrong, but I think I hear the voice of experience talking...

Quote:
Shish-ka-bob sticks work well.
Sounds like here, too.
Old October 4, 2005, 08:12 AM   #10
Fatelvis

I've had the most basic model (F1 I believe) for about 10-12 yrs, and I love it! It cost $79 back then. The average guy doesnt need an expensive, top-of-the-line chrono with all the gadgets. It lets me know where my handloads stand, as far as velocity. Thats what I'm interested in knowing. Get a cheap, but sturdy tripod to mount it on, and you'll be good to go!
Old October 4, 2005, 10:31 AM   #11
20cows

I have one of the older basic models (I don't recall just now what it's called). It works really well with fresh 9 v batteries, but I'm amazed how quickly it goes through a battery. It's gotten so I bring at least one new battery for each session.

Yeah, I use shish-kabob sticks on mine, too. (Fortunately before I shot one) .
Old October 4, 2005, 04:23 PM   #12
arthurrh

Darn, I wish someone had told me about the dowels a few months ago. I put a nice clean .223 right through both of the right-hand rods.
Old October 4, 2005, 10:45 PM   #13
rwilson452

Chrony and the wood dowel

I measured the metal rod and found it to be a metric dia. It's not a dowel size you will find with ease. I called Chrony and ask if I could ream out the hole big enough to take a 3/16 dowel. they said yes. Being very careful and keeping at the same angle I reamed out the hole using a twist drill bit. A 3/16 dowel is just slightly larger than the metal rods and stiff enough to maintain a sturdy screen. Made dowels the same length an then using a marker marked the "sweet spot" on the dowels. I used three rings. A broad ring at the top and bottom of the "sweet area" and a thin ring for the center of the area. Mostly I do rifle. I allow for scope height when lining up the rifle with the Chrony. It's rare that the Chrony fails to work properly. I tracked it down once to a bad sun angle. too much glare on the eyes. If you decide to do this be very very careful. you need ream to the exact same depth in as the original rod and no more and at the same angle. The use of a drill press is suggested unless you are good at free hand drilling. I did it free hand but I have had a lot of practice at that sort of thing.
Old October 4, 2005, 11:23 PM   #14
Zekewolf

rwilson: I don't supposed it ever occurred to you how easy it would be to fit the dowel to the chrony, as opposed to fitting the chrony to the dowel?
Old October 6, 2005, 11:33 AM   #15
20cows

Those shish-kabob sticks fit just right and are found at the local grocery store. You get a BUNCH of them, cheap.
Old February 18, 2006, 01:40 AM   #16
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Ok, it's get serious time. I worked up an order today for my Chronograph. Somewhat selecting a model in the blind because I have found little info that is current. With electronics of this type, I would guess the technology must be changing rapidly.

Anyone have anything current to offer as to your prefrence in graphs?

I had CED Millennium Chronograph System as my choice and when I went to order, it was on backorder. So I want to take another day or two to think this over.

My needs are very basic. I want accuracy and would like a unit that has the brain sitting out of the line of fire. I have been know to miss!

My choice of the CED Mill. was based on a few comments from old threads. I am finding that the CED seems to be the most for the least (within my budget).

150 bucks is about all I want to spend for my needs. I hear I can do it for 60 bucks?

Any thoughts??? Thanks
Old February 18, 2006, 03:17 AM   #17
Edward429451

Quote:
hear I can do it for 60 bucks?
60 bucks is to trade in a shot up one. Plus 5 bucks shpg. My replacement just came in.
Old February 18, 2006, 11:20 PM   #18
rwilson452

Modifying the dowel

I tried modifying the dowel. with what I have to work with it took some time. then, after some more thought If I break it or loose it I'm back to square one. modifying the chrony once and the next time I loose a stick I buy a new one cut it to length and I'm back. I do have a couple of back up dowels pre cut but I would still repace the broken one soonest. I haven't shot one yet but twice I have broken them when they were not atttached to the Chrony. One time I had help from a kid to break it. "What do you use these for uncle Roger?" ( snap).
Old February 20, 2006, 05:47 PM   #19
B9mmHP

Chrony

From what I understand, is that Chrony will not sell any more Chronys for retail sales, just commercial sales. And the price will probly be??????????

Buy it now! Call Brownells and ask them.
Old February 20, 2006, 07:32 PM   #20
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
I'm new in the crono business, old in the shooting business. In the past I have taken the data from the reloading manuels and assumed it was accurate, always knowing it might be slightly off with my load, and calculating the velocities. Recently I obtained a SpeedTech crono from my granddaughters husband which he used to tune archery equipment. It did not work and he told me I could have it if I wanted it. I fixed it and it seems to work ok, I have not shot any thing faster than a CCI .22lrhp through it and it measured 1219 which is about right.
The "arms" holding up the sky screens are heavy aluminum about 0.040 inch thick and 3 inches wide. The area through which the projectile passes is approximately 10 inches at top, 4 inches bottom and 12 inches high. Hope I can shoot through that at 2-5 yards.
Anyone have info on this crono??