The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 25, 2010, 01:05 PM   #1
300magman

Recommend a good GPS

Has anyone seen a good GPS unit that can do all the usual mapping, routing, and check points, and also keep record of elevation changes, store Topgraphic maps (not just 2 dimensional maps) and measure atmospheric readings like temperature, humidity, and pressure?

I am also wondering if there is a gps unit that works for both the "outdoor, hunting, fishing" types of expeditions but can also be used in "soccer mom mode" to naviage city streets and cross country road trips? (I'm just thinking, why buy 2 units if one can do both functions)
Old September 25, 2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Don P

I have heard that they are coming out with one to help find targets during competition matches
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 25, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

Garmin Dakota 20
It ain't cheap but with the latest firmware update (which FINALLY cures a few persistent bugs) it is a really good unit.

Doesn't do temp/humid/pressure though.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:55 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

The Garmin Oregon 450 is pretty close except it does not do temp and humidity. But it does both street maps and topos, electronic compass and barometric altimeter.

It has a superb satellite lock on, 100 times better than my Garmin Etrex. Even under heavy forest cover or in my two story house it easily gets more satellites (6-8 minimum) than my etrex in the wide open.

I got mine on an REI sale for $250.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 25, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
chance_livewire

garmin

garmin gps 4 was a sweet one for me
Old September 27, 2010, 02:13 AM   #6
Lamid

Hi 300magman. I just found this GPS Position Navigation Unit from sourcingmap.com, it seems that it can check specific position. You can ask for their customer service about if it have all of the functions you wanted.
Quote:
Has anyone seen a good GPS unit that can do all the usual mapping, routing, and check points, and also keep record of elevation changes, store Topgraphic maps (not just 2 dimensional maps) and measure atmospheric readings like temperature, humidity, and pressure?

I am also wondering if there is a gps unit that works for both the "outdoor, hunting, fishing" types of expeditions but can also be used in "soccer mom mode" to naviage city streets and cross country road trips? (I'm just thinking, why buy 2 units if one can do both functions)
Old September 27, 2010, 04:23 PM   #7
ntpastoraaron

I have the Delorme PN-20 using the Topo maping program that comes with it. The Topo program is 3 dimensional so -elevations is there also. It is easy to use for hunting, fishing, even GeoCaching and much more. Very accurate. I am not sure how it measures up to others, this is my first GPS. I has kept me from getting lost several times.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:18 PM   #8
hknut

I use a Garmin Map60Csx. It will do most of what you are asking for. I use it for Search And Rescue and my unit is both mobile (4x4) and ground based.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old September 27, 2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Norrick

about 4 years ago I used one of these
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=30122

Looks like not much has changed including the price (I thought it would be significantly cheaper).

But it was a good GPS. The selling points to me were the barometric altimeter (can take altitude readings based on air pressure and you can calibrate it) and the electronic compas (does not require movement to tell you which direction you are facing/moving in) and the water proofness. I also liked how the monochrome resolution was slightly better than the color screens.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with a Garmin Rhino for the built in two way radio.
Old December 2, 2010, 04:08 AM   #10
mak52580

I have a Garmin Oregon 400t and think it works great. I've also heard great things about the Delorme PN-40 and PN-60.

If you have an iPhone, I believe that there are some great apps too.