The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2004, 09:16 PM   #1
ratkiller

Total intro cost for reloading

How can I expect to spend on a new set of reloading stuff, which brings up the question what do I really need to begin.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I don't know much on this subject.
Old December 3, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

How high is up?

Bottom is $20 for a Lee Classic kit in one caliber, $20 for a can of powder, $15 for a box of bullets, $2 for a box of primers. Top is over a grand.

Average is around $300.
Old December 3, 2004, 10:36 PM   #3
rwilson452

reloading costs

Roughly, $200. it depends on what you want to start with. a single stage press or a progressive. I suggest you start with a single stage and after you have gotten a firm grip on things go to a progressive if you need quanity. I would spend a little more and get at least two data books. If I were to get only one I would get the Lyman manual. I would also check the web sites of the different powder MFG. They will have data on their powders. I have found the longer I reload there is just one more thing I just must have. Reloading gets to be a hobby in itself. When you get to the point that you tell yourself you need to go shoot some so you can load some more you have gotten the bug bad. Lee and RCBS starting kits are good and reasonable. the only thing the don't contain is calipers. For accurate rifle reloading they are a necessary. If your on a budget and expect you want a progressive press as in lots of pistol or semi auto ammo I would suggest the Lee turret kit. get the four hole variant. if your loading strictly bolt action rifle the three hole turret would work.
Old December 4, 2004, 09:44 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

E-mail direct for a 'generic' on-the-cheap loading set-up; attachment.
Old December 9, 2004, 10:47 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Read beforeyou buy!

Ratkiller--If you're not sure what you need than may I strongly suggest that you read up some, before starting to buy.

The ABC's of Reloading, published by Krause, www.krause.com will get you a very good overview of the equipment and procedures that you will need, as well as giving you an idea of what you do NOT need, at least right away.

The standard advice is to start with a single-stage press and learn how on this, before considering a progressive set-up. The equipment is cheaper, and you will never outgrow your need for a single-stage for short runs and load development, so it's not money wasted.

I agree that $200-300 will get you started. If the bug bites you, however, that is only the down payment on a lifelong addiction. But it's a good addiction.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 9, 2004, 11:13 PM   #6
DanV1317

i just started........about 2 weeks ago. I got a redding t7 turret press (190). got a 357 cabide die (75), automatic primer arm (30), scale (50-60), powder measure (50 maybe?) got mine from a friend for free, 30$ calipers, powder (15ish) per pound, bullets (.32 cal 150 grain 19$), loading blocks, primer flip tray, primers, = maybe 40$. I probably spent about 500 to get started. I still have quite a bit yet to get. you can get variations of all the hstuff i got though to make it cheaper though.
Old December 9, 2004, 11:34 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Welcome!

Well, DanV, welcome to the club! You didn't say you had one--do you have a reloading manual? If not, Lyman's 48th edition is the best if you get only one. It has a good "how to" section in the front, as well as discussing each of the 4 components, primer, case, powder, and bullet. Also it does not limit itself to any one brand of powder or bullet, as do the Hodgdon or Nosler books for example. All the component makers put out manuals, as well as having websites with info. Having more than 1 manual lets you compare and contrast possible loads; no one book can possibly cover all the combinations of cartridge, primer, powder, and bullet that might exist.

In reloading, there is almost no such thing as having too much info. (It CAN get to the stage of paralysis by analysis, but IMHO you are much more likely to be missing a particular piece of crucial info, than to have too much on the subject.)

--Smokey Joe
Old December 10, 2004, 12:14 AM   #8
bill k

I've purchasted my own equipment reciently here's the breakdown. Forget the $20.00 or $200.000 initial outlay. I purchased everything except a few things from Midway USA.
Start with a RCBS rockchucker supreme master kit, $270.00. It has the press, priming tool, Spear reloading manual, caliper, deburing tool etc. Besides what's in the kit you need a case trimer which is about $80.00, dies $30 or so, bullet holder $6.00, powder $25.00, bullets, primers, brass, and brass polish.
It adds up quick but reloading is a hoot.
I hope this helps,
Bill
Old December 10, 2004, 05:48 PM   #9
Dave R

I got into reloading for under $100, but I was desperate--had just inherited a rifle in a strange wildcat caliber and was itching to shoot it. Had to scrimp on lunch money to buy stuff.

Bought a used Herter's press for $20. Dies came with the rifle (I bought used dies for $15 for other calibers). A buddy gave me his old powder scale when he bought a digital scale. I borrowed it prior to that. Measured powder with a teaspoon, etc. It was slow, but the finished cartridges worked fine. Later bought a used RCBS Uniflow powder measure for $20.

You get the picture. Buying used can save a lot of $$, but you have to be careful of worn-out equipment.
Old December 12, 2004, 01:52 AM   #10
Smokey Joe

Impressive!

Dave R--Good on you! I've never heard of anyone starting cheaper, except maybe with a Lee Loader. BTW--How long ago did you get hold of a Herter's press (the model Perfect, I presume); they've been out of business for lo these many years. (The current Herter's deals only in waterfowling supplies, bought the original name, and is a mere ghost of the original--not but that I wish them the best. But George Leonard Herter and his company were one of a kind.)

--Smokey Joe
Old December 12, 2004, 09:05 PM   #11
drinks

Reloading cost

Somewhere in the '60's, I picked up a Lee loader at a garage sale for $3.00, .30-30, 100, 150 gr flat nose bullets and 100 primers were about $5 total at the sportings goods store and Gibsons had powder for $2.29 for a pound, so, less than $11, but that was just the start of another 35-40 years of buying, always prefaced with the statement, "but it will save me money over----"
Don