The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1
lxix02

Savage 24 Series N

I Have a Savage Arms, model 24 series N
Its an O/U 22 Win Mag on top and a 3" 410 on the bottom.

Savage 24 Series N (stamped on the right side of the receiver)
Savage Arms, Westfield, Mass. USA (stamped on the right side of the lower barrel)
22 WIN MAG R.F. Proof tested, then what looks like a SP and either a Z or a 7 (stamped on top-center of the top barrel)
Proof tested 410 bore 3 inch chamber (stamped on the left side of the bottom barrel)
serial number B277423 (stamped on the left side of the receiver)
"FZ" then "11 then "G" (stamped on the lower barrel under the forearm)
Wood stock and forearm, over all I'd say its in GOOD condition w/ very little rust.
I would like to know any info I can about the gun, including manufacture date, where it was sold, what it was sold for, what its worth.
I have this posted on other forums, the only thing I found out so far is: it was manufactured in the summer of 1973, however, I would like this info verified because there seems to be a lot of conjecture around this.
If someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Attachment 95227

Last edited by lxix02; June 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old April 25, 2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Pahoo

Welcome Aboard !!!

First off, welcome to the forum. .....

Now then, have to complement you on the detail and documentation of your question. Here is what I'm seeing and still making some assumptions.

1) Yours is the basic model as opposed to the fancier DL.
2) Birchwood stock, painted or coated frame as opposed to case harden or plated.
3) Sheet metal trigger guard.
4) My SWAG on this is $250.00 to 300.00. ....
5) The caliber doesn't turn me off but most folks prefer the .22LR
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old April 25, 2014, 08:08 PM   #3
lxix02

Bad picture

Thanks for the info Pahoo and sorry for the bad pic, it does have a case hardened frame, it just looks black in the pic. I had other pics but this site limits the size and quantity.
Can you give any info on the manufacture date or confirm the "summer of 1973" date I got already? Also, do you have any knowledge of want it sold for new?
Thanks again
Old April 25, 2014, 08:37 PM   #4
PetahW

Your Savage looks to be a Model 24C, series "N", "Camper's Companion", made from 1972-88, and was an economy version of the Model 24, with a non-walnut hardwood stock & buttstock ammo storage under the sliding BP section.

The 24C was AFAIK only catalogued as being chambered for .22LR/20ga, so you most likely have an uncataloged special run Model 24C - which (if you're interested) the only way to get more info for on would be to pay John Callahan (google), the Savage Historian, to research & give you what's in the factory hecords he has, for it.

Old April 26, 2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Pahoo

Can't really say

Hard to tell but it also looks like your selector, is in the hammer as opposed to the receiver. That too will help you identify it's age. I've owned a number of these and the older ones have the selector, on the hammer. I cannot confirm or argue with the dates that Petah has listed. ....
Can you see any patent dates, on the barrel?
Be Safe !!!
Old April 26, 2014, 12:15 PM   #6
natman

Quote:
I Have a Savage Arms, model 24 series N
Its an O/U 22 Win Mag on top and a 3" 410 on the bottom.

Quote:
Your Savage looks to be a Model 24C, series "N", "Camper's Companion", made from 1972-88, and was an economy version of the Model 24, with a non-walnut hardwood stock & buttstock ammo storage under the sliding BP section.

The 24C was AFAIK only catalogued as being chambered for .22LR/20ga, so you most likely have an uncataloged special run Model 24C
Let's see:

The rifle chambering is wrong for a 24C
The shotgun chambering is wrong for a 24C
The 24 marking doesn't have a "C" suffix, which is wrong for a 24C.
The stock has a pistol grip, which is wrong for a 24C.

Savage made 24s in a bewildering variety of configurations, but I am politely skeptical that this gun is any form of a 24C. It appears that the OP's gun is a standard 24 in 22Mag/410.

Here's a couple of pictures of a real 24C, series P to compare:

Old April 26, 2014, 06:30 PM   #7
PetahW

Slepticism aside, the Model 24C was AFAIK the only Model 24 that had a series "N".

As I said:

Quote:
The 24C was AFAIK only catalogued as being chambered for .22LR/20ga, so you most likely have an uncataloged special run Model 24C.

Marshall Stanton has a 24C in 20ga, also uncatalogued:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...ch_notes.htm/1

Last edited by PetahW; April 26, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old April 26, 2014, 08:14 PM   #8
natman

Quote:
Slepticism aside, the Model 24C was AFAIK the only Model 24 that had a series "N".
From Stevens / Savage 24 date codes, link found in the FAQ on http://www.savage24.com/:

Quote:
Savage 24 (Field Grade): Separated barrels, top of tang barrel release lever; plain standard stocks like on the early Savage 24's. Known models 24 Series N, 24 Series P, 24 Series S. Series N and P have top of tang barrel release lever while Series S the front of the trigger gaurd sliding block barrel release.
This description matches the OPs gun perfectly, including its markings. If it were a "C" it would be marked as such. If it's chambered in 22 Mag/410 it's an unusual combination.

I do have to correct myself on one point; according to the same source there were 24Cs with pistol grips on series R and S.

Quote:
Marshall Stanton has a 24C in 20ga, also uncatalogued:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...ch_notes.htm/1
The 24C described appears to be a standard 22LR/20. I don't see what's uncatalogued about it.

Last edited by natman; April 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old April 26, 2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

It says, right on the side of the gun "model 24 series N." So, apparently, they made a 24 series N in .22mag/.410!
Old April 30, 2014, 10:43 AM   #10
lxix02

Discouraged

Thanks everyone for your input.
If this is a model 24C its not marked as such. As I wrote in the original thread its mark as Savage 24 Series N (stamped on the right side of the receiver).

NATMAN, I've already read the FAQ page @ Savage24.com, they shed some light but, raise more questions than give answers. There is no 'Date Code' on my gun. They mention the difference between the Series N and P and the S but dont tell the difference between the N and P. They do however, tell me that my gun, because of the separated barrels, is "FIELD GRADE".

I wish this site would allow more and bigger pics, I have pics of the receiver (close-up) along with pics of all other markings on the gun, just cant attach them here.

PAHOO, It does have the selector switch on the hammer and there is nothing marked "PATENT" but there are other markings that may help (under the forearm and top center of the top barrel)???? (see the original thread)

I have researched 4-5 guns over the past few months and this one is by far the worst to get info, every time someone gives me a direction (site, article) to go in its seems to raise more questions. I know this is not the fault of you good folks, I thank you all for your knowledge and input. I blame it on Savage for their bad record keeping.

I need to start charging my friends for researching their guns, this is becoming too much like work
Old May 1, 2014, 11:55 AM   #11
PetahW

Savage only stamped their guns with a date code letter betwen 1949 & 1970.