The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 6, 2016, 12:52 PM   #1
baddarryl

CMP Garand for me!

Hey all. My beautiful wife gave me this for Christmas/Birthday! It's a 1942 Service Grade from the CMP. Remarkable condition. I heard the Service Grade's were nice but this one truly blew me away when I opened the case. I am not a collector, so maybe the little things matter, but not to me. I have a couple of questions. My grandfather had one of these from the War that he sold as 'junk' in the 80's. Man I can't wait to shoot this thing!
Since the CMP states that every rifle is:

"Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function. Each rifle is shipped with safety manual, one eight-round clip and chamber safety flag."

My question is what to do before firing? The above statement leads me to believe that I don't have to disassemble and inspect for function like the issued manual says to do so. Obviously common sense comes to play if something is clearly wrong, but on initial inspection it looks fine. I have some ball ammo coming from them too.
Let me add that they are apparently filling some back orders that were received prior to Sept 28 if you have one on order. I don't know how many though.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 6, 2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Targa

Awesome gift, congrats! I breakdown all of my firearms when I first get them, I clean and lube them, check for anything out of the ordinary, familiarize myself with the firearm, hug and love on it a bit...
Old December 6, 2016, 03:25 PM   #3
ed308

Nice. I would clean the barrel and bolt and shoot it.
Old December 6, 2016, 04:27 PM   #4
Doc7

Congrats I have the same it's awesome!
Old December 6, 2016, 04:28 PM   #5
agtman

Congrats on your CMP M1. Is it a S.A. SG or a Winchester Special?

You've got what looks like *new* commercial CMP wood (Dupage or Boyd's), rather than a USGI stock. Is there a CMP cartouche stamped on the side?

Also, is the barrel USGI, or a commercial one from Criterion?

Regardless, clean the barrel well, grease it properly, then get out there and get it zero-ed @ 200yds.
Old December 6, 2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Fishbed77

That's a beautiful rifle. Looks a lot like my 1944 Service grade Springfield from the CMP, that also came with the CMP stock.

I would recommend 5 or 6 coats of tung oil on that stock (get the good stuff from Real Milk paint Co.). It will protect the wood and give you the USGI look.
Old December 6, 2016, 05:38 PM   #7
DukeConnor

She's a keeper. so is the battle rifle.
Old December 6, 2016, 06:46 PM   #8
GarandTd

That's a beauty! I won mine from a gun raffle, but it is also a service grade CMP rifle and looks practically new. It's a 1941 Springfield with a sub 400k serial #. It's a joy to shoot. Kudos to your wife. That's a fantastic gift.
Old December 6, 2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Sgt Pepper

Beauteous!!!!
Old December 6, 2016, 08:09 PM   #10
LavaTech

Any new CMP rifle (Garand or otherwise) does usually require inspection and lubrication by the recipient, and most of mine have been in serious need of grease and TLC. Personally, I'd strip and clean the bolt and trigger group and check freedom of movement of the oprod (search tilt test on CMP forum) in that new Boyd's stock. Proper greasing of M1 rifles is an absolute must and is covered in the manual provided by CMP.
Old December 6, 2016, 08:11 PM   #11
Ozzieman

Here are a couple of videos on greasing an M1 Grand.
Use grease not oil.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 6, 2016, 08:34 PM   #12
baddarryl

Quote:
Congrats on your CMP M1. Is it a S.A. SG or a Winchester Special?
SA

Quote:
You've got what looks like *new* commercial CMP wood (Dupage or Boyd's), rather than a USGI stock. Is there a CMP cartouche stamped on the side?
Yes

Quote:
Also, is the barrel USGI, or a commercial one from Criterion?
USGI
Old December 6, 2016, 08:35 PM   #13
baddarryl

Quote:
She's a keeper. so is the battle rifle.
You have no idea!
Old December 6, 2016, 10:24 PM   #14
Tidewater_Kid

Beautiful rifle. Be careful what 30-06 you feed it. Make sure you get M1 Garand rated ammo or better yet Greek surplus.

TK
Old December 7, 2016, 02:25 AM   #15
Bamashooter

Watch some videos on breaking it down and cleaning/greasing it. Buy or load the right ammunition for it. I just bought a 1941 Springfield for my birthday in early September and had to go through the whole learning to disassemble and clean, and how to lubricate it. Shooting modern 30-06 can do serious damage and there are things you can do to negate that. You can buy a gas plug that is adjustable and tune your load to your rifle, problem is you have to do this with each load. You can buy a plug that just gives the garand more volume inside the gas system which supposedly eliminates and danger of damage. You can buy ammuniton made for the Garand which I have done and it is expensive. I choose to handload and leave my rifle like it was made. Not making any loads that are maxed out but loads that are accurate, easy on the shooter, and cycle the action without issue. Not as bad as it sounds and you get to delve off into another rifle and learn all about a wonderful piece of history. Beautiful rifle BTW. Enjoy it!!
Old December 7, 2016, 02:50 AM   #16
Tad_T

Congratulations.

Very nice rifle! I have two Springfield M1's, a 44 and a 45. I'd clean it and grease it like the other fellas suggested. Then go to the range and enjoy it.

Your wife must like you
Old December 7, 2016, 08:44 AM   #17
Road_Clam

Congrats! Bought myself my first ever vintage american battle rifle a CMP M1 special -06 back in 2015. Now i've ordered several firearms online with minimal excitement and anticipation but that dam 4-1/2 week wait for my CMP M1 was the worst ! That 4-1/2 weeks seemed like 4-1/2 years ! In the end it was worth the wait. CMP M1's are generally regarded as very nice rifles. Short money considering what you are getting!
Old December 7, 2016, 09:28 AM   #18
baddarryl

Mine took 3 months! Aaaaagh!
Old December 7, 2016, 11:06 AM   #19
Skans

The wood on that is gorgeous!
Old December 7, 2016, 03:53 PM   #20
Darreld Walton

Congratulations on a VERY nice rifle!
It looks to just about be a twin to my 1957 dated Springfield Armory CMP "Special". Mine, as well, wears a new stock set.
My experience with the HXP ammo is that it shoots pretty well. I also really like to reload the HXP brass. Seems like I remember some guys griping about it when trying to use it in M1903A3's at some of the CMP games, but I haven't heard much of it recently.
Old December 7, 2016, 06:05 PM   #21
Orlando

rifle must be completly dissasembled, cleaned and properly greased bfore shooting
Old December 7, 2016, 07:49 PM   #22
Ernest T

Quote:
rifle must be completly dissasembled, cleaned and properly greased bfore shooting
Definitely do this, especially with a rifle with CMP wood. You may find you need to adjust the stock around the op rod so that it doesn't bind. Disassembly will also give you a good idea of how the rifle works. It is important to grease/lube the proper spots. Here are some good guides: http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-strip
http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

Don't to forget to shoot use the correct ammo: http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armo...mmercial-ammo/
Old December 7, 2016, 07:52 PM   #23
GarandTd

My LGS had some en-bloc clips loaded with surplus Greek HXP at $5 a piece. It was a great deal IMO, but he only had a few left, so I took what he had. At the range, I fired through the 1st clip without issue. The second clip, however, went click. I ejected the round and saw a solid dimple on the primer. 7 Rounds left....click. 6 rounds...BOOM...cool. 5 rounds...click. 4 rounds...click. I finally gave up. Turns out that 1 enbloc clip was loaded with 42 TW while the rest of the clips had 78 HXP. The misfires were 1942 vintage from Twin Cities Ordnance Plant in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20161207_200523_851.jpg (123.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by GarandTd; December 7, 2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old December 8, 2016, 07:22 AM   #24
baddarryl

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely do this, especially with a rifle with CMP wood. You may find you need to adjust the stock around the op rod so that it doesn't bind. Disassembly will also give you a good idea of how the rifle works. It is important to grease/lube the proper spots. Here are some good guides: http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-strip
Wow! I gotta say, that is a little intimidating. Holy smokes!
Old December 8, 2016, 08:26 AM   #25
Skans

While I do not own a Garand, I was noting some of the similarities in design to my AC556 (full-auto mini-14). I read the article on where to grease the bolt, fire control components, etc. This got me wondering - should I be doing something similar with my AC556 to reduce wear?