The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 6, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
cptmclark

Taurus 1911 9mm slide stop issue

A new pistol (first i've handled in 9mm) will not hold the slide open with empty mag. Follower goes past slide stop pin without lifting it. I tried other mags but they were from 45. Can't see difference in calibers in that regard, but same problem with all mags. They don't catch on the pin.
I also swapped out the slide stop pin with one from one of my 45s. Again, I don't see much difference but there are the facts. The "good" slide stop pin did not catch the follwer either.
One last clue, is that it's not necessary to move the slide to the escape notch for the slide pin, and it comes out easily under the slide.
Oh yea, the slide to frame fit is very loose, and I wonder if it can be so loose that the stop isn't held high enough. Again, this is a new pistol.
Any idiosynceacies of either the caliber or of the brand?
Those are my issues and thoughts and I'll be grateful for the wisdom and ideas of you experienced 1911 guys.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Creeper

No responses yet huh Mr Clark? To be honest, you've left a little confusion with your issue description, so it's a bit difficult to determine exactly what's going on.

Rather than go into trying to fix your problem, which at first glance sounds like a incorrectly made, or wrong slide stop (9mm slide stops have a deeper lug to engage the magazine follower and you say you see no difference... so Taurus may have installed one for a .45)... as you say the gun is new, I'd simply return it to Taurus.

Cheers,
C
Old January 7, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
g.willikers

Just a guess, but maybe the hole in the frame for the pin is not in the right place.
Is there any issue with the barrel location?
If you have access to another 1911, compare them.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
RickB

Quote:
Rather than go into trying to fix your problem, which at first glance sounds like a incorrectly made, or wrong slide stop (9mm slide stops have a deeper lug to engage the magazine follower and you say you see no difference... so Taurus may have installed one for a .45)...
This seems like the easiest/best place to start. Remove the barrel/slide from the gun, reinstall the slide stop. Lock a mag in place. If the mag follower slips past the slide stop (9mm mag, original slide stop), then it does sound like there's a problem with the slide stop itself.
If the slide stop pin hole were even slightly mislocated, I'd expect to find all sort of other problems, as virtually every frame dimension is based on its location relative to that hole.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
cptmclark

Thanks for the tips

Before I could get fiddling with it the offer came to return it as defective. I was pleased about that. After your posts I saw that the stop did not protrude far enough in to catch the follower, and that the hole in the frame allowed the pin to move vertically, enough to escape the slide.

Thanks for the input