The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

lee breach lock challenger kit

After going through this last ammunition shortage I decided to go back into reloading myself. Even through all of this last ammunition shortage it seems hard to find the dies and all of supplies that you need to Reload so i decided to be prepared next time.

The other day I picked up a set of Lee carbide dies. I figured I'd go through the process of picking up a part here and there. I have seen some of the kits but I wasn't too sure about buying it all together and weather I would save any money.

Yesterday I think i got a good deal on the lee precision breech lock challenger reloading press kit. Combine that with the dies that I bought the only thing left I see right away would be a bullet puller and maybe a few other odds and ends.

It comes with the lee manual scale, complete power handling system, funnel, cutter and lock stud to trim your cases, chamfer tool, 2 pocket cleaning tools large and small, and one of those handheld primer letters they seem to be pretty handy.

Now the thing is is that I got it all for $150, minus the dies that is and that seems like a fair price for a starter kit. My only problem is is that I've never worked with the lee single-stage press.

I've used other brand name presses and i have used the lee dies in them with no issues.
My friend has a three stage press but our timing is always off and hard to time it to where I can be there when he's home, plus I just can't keep making the trip its too far for me and I needed something here at home.

My question is this: does anyone here have anything near the same type of setup or have they used this same setup and do they have any problems with them. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; May 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Vance

I Started with the Lee anniversary breechlock reloading kit. Same press and powder scale and measure, but a safety prime system for on press priming. The scale is the first bit of equipment that I replaced with a better scale (RCBS 505). The rest of the kit worked wonderfully. Some people like the Lee powder scale, I didn't. You will be able to load fine ammo on that kit.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Fire_Moose

Re: lee breach lock challenger kit

I started with that kit. But with the safety prime system too (on press priming)

Get a manual or.2, you'll also need calipers.

Extra breech lock bushings will help too.

The.scale is great but sensitive, it'll take a week or so to figure it out.

Best of luck.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Gster

I use this kit and I've never had any issues with it. The only thing I added is the Lee lock ring eliminators, these things are great. Also a digital scale. I never did like using the safety scale. I'll use it to check, but once I get the ppf set I just check every 8 charges or so on the digital. I love the ppf and it measures consistently with the Titegroup powder.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it guys.

Better to know the short comings or what works best. I will be looking at the digital scales and the lock ring eliminators. Already have the calipers but the extra bushings sounds like a good idea too.

I have used the RCBS scale at my friends house so at least i would be familiar with it.

I am pretty sure I'll fall right in once I get familiar with it's differences.

Once again, thanks guys!
Old May 25, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Fire_Moose

Now I THINK the lock ring Eliminators are the breechlock bushings with a lock ring on top....just dying.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
jersurf101

I got this kit for christmas. I have the same scale from an earlier lee purchase and they seem to read about the same. A Frankfurt arsenal digital scale disagrees at - .2 grns from the Lee. Not a huge deal to me. I love the kit over all and it compliments another single stage press nicely.

+1 to fine ammo can be made on this equipment.

I really like the handgun set up with being able to charge the case along with the flaring die.

Extra bushings are a must as mentioned before. I have seen complaints about the locking system but it works well for me.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:38 PM   #8
A pause for the COZ

That was my 1st kit. Good enough press to learn with. Makes ammo just as good as any thing out there.
Give you self a good 6 months of use with it. After that time you should have a good idea what kind of loader your going to be.

All equipment have things they do well and things they dont.

My buddy finally after 5-6 years on his breach lock moved up to a Classic cast turret. He took his time to decide what he wanted. I bet he will never buy another press.

Took me 3 months to move up to a RCBS Rock chucker. I found I prefer a very sturdy mounting of my presses. So the RCBS scratched some itch the LEE did not. But the LEE was superior in priming, and spent primer handling.

After the RCBS moved to use as a progressive via an expansion kit.
I purchased a LEE Classic cast single stage. This press scratched all my itches for a single stage. Super strong, with a superior priming system.

So I had covered my low volume and high volume needs. I still use a LEE Turret for my Med volume loading.

I also know I am not done. Some one will put a shinny bit that I will just have to have.
But thats me. I like the mechanical actions and how they all work different.
I am always tinkering, adjusting and adding.

My Buddy just wants to load some 9mm. Once set he wont change a thing for 5-10 years.
Old May 26, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

I have plans to do some .45 acp in the near future. Looking to pick up a compact 1911, and later on a standard full size.

Maybe add another single stage and some 45 dies. Move to a progressive one day. That's the plan anyway.

I have my brother in law coming in to load some 9mm for himself and I want to be use to this setup before I show him how to reload.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Vance

http://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html
I wish Lee offered this press in a kit. This is the single stage press to get. I bought one a few months ago and wish I had started with it.

The breechlock challenger is a good press though. But consider the classic cast press when you want to add the second single stage.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
thump_rrr

I bought the anniversary kit a couple of years ago and it has served me well.
It has loaded thousands of rounds of ammo with my 308 rifle ammo shooting as well as .250moa groups.
If I recall correctly it was only $89.00 a couple of years ago.

I have since purchased a Hornady ammo plant for high volume reloading.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Wreck-n-Crew

Finally got some time to load some from the kit today and thought i would share some photos.

I used Winchester wst and cci primers.
The hp's are Hornady xtp 115 grn and the fmj's are some Remington 115 grn i got from a friend.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; June 12, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Vance

Looks good. Enjoy.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:37 PM   #14
jersurf101

Nice. The ammo looks good.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Wreck-n-Crew

Shot 30 of the hp's and all the fmj. All functioned flawlessly.

Looks like the kit did well for a starter. Need to add an electronic scale later.

Thanks again all for your input and advice.