The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 13, 2009, 08:16 AM   #1
ECHOONE

Help Refinishing Grips

I'm planning on refinishing my wood grips,I want to stain with a silver/Gray stain, and use Linseed oil to finish and protect. Is Linseed the way to go? could someone brefly summarize best steps of applying, grips are tactical not smooth,top half are checkered bottom half are stippled and I don't want the finish to be glumping up on the checkered area so not sure on the best way to apply on the checkered area? I believe hand rubbing linseed in is the best way but I'm not sure as I never did grips b4. How many coats? Is 24 hr wait time between coats long enough? Should I lightly sand after each coat? any help and suggestions would be appreciated.......
Thanks
Old March 13, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
sadsack

Echoone: Tung oil would probably be better for your grips, as it will soak into the wood better than linseed oil. You'll have to use a chemical stripper and a tooth brush to remove the old finish. Just paint the tung oil onto the grips and let them soak up as much as they will. Wipe(and brush with another tooth brush) off any excess and let dry over night. Two or three coats should be enough. You'll not be able to hand rub with the checkering and the strippling, but tung oil is easy to touch up when you need it later.
Old March 19, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
filthysavage

Help Refinishing Grips

Linseed oil is great...for fence posts.Nobody uses this anymore,with good reason.The stuff never dries.Use tung oil its easily controllable,every consecutive coat makes it glossier