The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 12, 2016, 10:34 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

NRC 30 is a very decent rating for muffs. Most that I see aren't rated that high. I think mine ar NRC 25 or 27 -- I double up with the muffs and foam plugs when I shoot indoors, and it's still nowhere near soundless. (Especially when somebody a couple of lanes over cuts loose with a .357 Magnum or a .44 magnum.) If you can't tolerate plugs under your muffs, I think you're stuck shooting outdoors.
Old August 12, 2016, 10:44 PM   #27
NavyVet1959

I usually buy this brand at Wal-mart in the health / medical section.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flents-Plu...10-Pr/10535851

They're pretty comfortable. I always keep a pair with me. They're very useful when you have to go to a painfully loud restaurant or when you are having dinner with in-laws. They're also pretty good a muting that annoying buzzing sound that comes from the wife.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959

Last edited by Evan Thomas; August 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: removed copyrighted image.
Old August 13, 2016, 07:05 AM   #28
Nathan

If you are having the level of problem you describe, you need 2 layers of 30+ db protection.

Layer 1: find a foam ear plug you can stand that is 30 db or more nrr rated.

Layer 2: find an electronic muff which is 30 db nrr rated.

Wear both at the same time.
Old August 13, 2016, 08:18 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Layer 2: find an electronic muff which is 30 db nrr rated.
If he already has 30 dB muffs, why does he have to buy new ones?
Old August 14, 2016, 12:06 PM   #30
Bucksnort1

AL45,

A very good friend, who works as an instructor at a gun range, has several brands of electronic headphone type hearing protection. I told him I want to buy this type so I asked for his advice. I don't recall the several brands he has but the Howard Leight electronic protection offered the best results. All, except Leight, had background hiss. The volume on the Leights can be adjusted so when someone is standing next to me with empty cases he is rattling around in his hand, the high end frequencies will slightly irritate my ears. So the good news is, the Leights can be adjusted for a wide range of hearing situations.
Old August 14, 2016, 12:37 PM   #31
Machineguntony

The best hearing protection doesn't cost money. It's actually quite cheap.

Get a pair of 34 decibel reduction muffs and 30-32 decibel reduction ear plugs.

I've never seen ear muffs that reduce greater than 34 decibels. And as far as ear plugs, the max I've seen is 30 or 32. I use both muffs and plugs.

The thing about the 34 decibel muffs is that they aren't pretty or stylish. They're somewhat bulky and ugly. But in the end, hearing protection is more important than fashionable ear muffs.

The more expensive hearing protection items are expensive because they use electronics. They also tend to have a design that is somewhat considerate of design and style: usually they're less bulky and lay more flat or more compact. The downside is that they only have a decibel reduction of 20-28. Expensive doesn't mean more protection; rather, it just means fancier and prettier.

The problem with silencers is that other people don't use them. Maximum hearing protection would be everybody using a silencer+ear muff+ear plug.

If you want even more reduction, some new indoor ranges are designed with sound absorbing or sound wave deflecting technology (there's a new range here in my city that is about to open, and they are allegedly using this sound reducing design). At public ranges, the potential for damage comes from the repeated and nonstop sound of gun fire around you. So unless everybody is using a silencer, using a silencer, yourself, isn't going to help much.
Old August 15, 2016, 04:56 PM   #32
Nathan

Quote:
If he already has 30 dB muffs, why does he have to buy new ones
Good point, I missed that!

Maybe a membership to an outdoor range!
Old August 17, 2016, 10:02 AM   #33
Skans

No one makes what the OP wants. I wish they did because I'd buy a pair. I've tried many different types of muffs, plugs, and combinations of the two. I hear no perceivable difference between the fancy electronic muffs and a pair of hearing protection that I can purchase from Harbor Freight which has about a 34db reduction.

The only thing the electronic muffs that I've seen/tried do is allow you to hear people talking to you. They don't actually (the ones I've looked at) reduce the db to anything close to a mouse-poop.

FWIW, when I'm shooting by myself, NOT hearing the jibber-jabber of other folks is a bonus. I'd pay more for jibber-jabber-canceling muffs if I had to!
Old August 18, 2016, 08:02 PM   #34
CrazyGolfNut

Whats a good brand to purchase?
Old August 18, 2016, 08:15 PM   #35
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
The only thing the electronic muffs that I've seen/tried do is allow you to hear people talking to you. They don't actually (the ones I've looked at) reduce the db to anything close to a mouse-poop.
True ... and the reason is because they can't. They've pretty much reached the limits of the technology, if they don't want to make the muffs so large and heavy that nobody would buy or wear them. The electronics don't do anything at all to improve the noise reduction capability. All the electronics do is provide a microphone outside the hearing protection envelope and a speaker inside the envelope, allowing the wearer to hear what's going on better. There's an electronic cut-off circuit (typically set at around 80 dB IIRC) -- outside noise louder than the cut-off gets blanked electronically, but it still enters physically.

So if there's a noise of 120 Db and your fancy electronic muffs are rated at 30 dB reduction, the electronic function will be shut off by the noise cancelling circuit but you'll still hear 90 decibels (120 - 30) of good, old-fashioned noise.

To put that in perspective, according to one web site I just looked up a "typical" 9mm handgun produces 159.8 dB of noise. A .45 ACP produces 157.0 dB, and a .357 Magnum produces 164.3 dB.

Source: http://www.earplugstore.typepad.com/...rent-guns.html
Old August 18, 2016, 08:22 PM   #36
NavyVet1959

If you truly want that much noise reduction, the only real choice is to go to surgeon that operates on the inner ear and have him remove your eardrum or whatever to make you completely deaf.

Now, one *could* argue that the solution is worse than the problem, but look on the bright side -- you won't have to listen to your wife or in-laws anymore.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
Old August 19, 2016, 07:41 PM   #37
TheGunGeek

I use Howard Leight earplugs which have a 33 NNR, plus Pro Ears 30 NNR muffs. Even with these it's not fully quiet. It's not only the Db emitted but also the exposure time that matters. I try and go during the slowest times, limit my session to 1 hour, and if someone brings a cannon I'll take a break. With a rifle you're best using an outdoor range if available, which will also lessen the exposure.

Make sure you use the products properly. Check a mirror when using foam plugs, and run the tip of your finger around the edges of earmuffs to ensure there are no gaps in the seal.

If there was no sound reduction material in the indoor range, then I would go elsewhere.

Last edited by TheGunGeek; August 19, 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old August 20, 2016, 06:58 PM   #38
Shimpy

Glad you are seeking the best help available. I lost much of my hearing shooting with only cotton in my ears. One time taking the cotton out of my ear to hear to talk and forgetting to put it in when shooting over the hood of a jeep with a .357. The other time my buddy fired his 8 MM mauser at the back of my trunk while I had my head in it. In both instances my hearing was damaged forever.
Old August 21, 2016, 10:11 AM   #39
TheGunGeek

This is one subject area of the sport I have put a lot of effort into learning. We only have one body, and I don't want to inflict damage intentionally. The only unsuppressed gun at or under 140 Db is a .22 rifle. Everything else is well above this Db limit.

Next year I will be buying suppressors for the calibers I shoot. This is one item that shouldn't be part of the NFA. A suppressor is a hearing protection device, and should be no harder to buy than a magazine. We could eliminate hearing damage risk for most calibers if this was liberalized.
Old August 21, 2016, 10:38 AM   #40
NavyVet1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunGeek View Post
This is one subject area of the sport I have put a lot of effort into learning. We only have one body, and I don't want to inflict damage intentionally. The only unsuppressed gun at or under 140 Db is a .22 rifle. Everything else is well above this Db limit.

Next year I will be buying suppressors for the calibers I shoot. This is one item that shouldn't be part of the NFA. A suppressor is a hearing protection device, and should be no harder to buy than a magazine. We could eliminate hearing damage risk for most calibers if this was liberalized.
With .22LR, you're basically limited to factory loads, but there are a couple that are quiet enough that you don't need hearing protection. The standard velocity ones though need hearing protection.

If you reload your own ammo in other calibers, it's possible to create a loading that quieter than a a .22LR. I've loaded some .38/.357 mag at level that I find quieter than a standard velocity .22LR and they are still powerful enough to kill an armadillo late at night (while not disturbing the neighbors). If I had been using a .357 rifle with those loads, it would have been even quieter.
Old August 21, 2016, 03:31 PM   #41
tric3imagery

I use molded ear and a good over the ear muffs,lots of ppl look at me like I'm over doing it, but my ears can't handle noise with disease I had of the inner ear,It works well only problem is a public range with ppl right beside you shooting their High PF loads,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old August 24, 2016, 08:57 AM   #42
Skans

Let's not forget that not all of that noise enters through your outer ear canal. Your mouth and nostrils don't have any hearing protection on them. Also, some amount of noise will vibrate your skull and/or through your skull.

Furthermore, none of the muffs make a perfect seal around your ear no matter how good they are. Arguably, where the muffs make contact with your hair also reduces their effectiveness. A combination of silencer, ear plugs and ear muffs should get the db's down pretty low, but it's not going to be anywhere near "silent".
Old August 26, 2016, 02:39 AM   #43
tnertb

Quote:
Let's not forget that not all of that noise enters through your outer ear canal. Your mouth and nostrils don't have any hearing protection on them. Also, some amount of noise will vibrate your skull and/or through your skull.

Furthermore, none of the muffs make a perfect seal around your ear no matter how good they are. Arguably, where the muffs make contact with your hair also reduces their effectiveness. A combination of silencer, ear plugs and ear muffs should get the db's down pretty low, but it's not going to be anywhere near "silent".
So get a full faced helmet?
Old August 26, 2016, 04:20 AM   #44
Gavlan

I don't think you'll ever eradicate personal noise pollution when shooting even with the best , high tech devices,,,
You could always get yourself an Xbox one or PS4 and play "Call of duty" ( or the like ) and mute your TV 's volume,,,, .
Couldn't resist,,,,sorry ....
Old August 26, 2016, 07:03 AM   #45
Rancid

I found a free app on my "smarter than me" phone that records decibels. I may have to try it out on the range and see just how loud things are out there and at what distance. Should be good for a couple of arguments...uh, I mean "discussions".
Old August 26, 2016, 10:00 AM   #46
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
In reality, it won't even be "pretty low."

I was at the range yesterday and I looked at the muffs they sell. The highest dB rating of the several brands and models offered was 30 dB. Some were in the low to mid twenties. In an earlier post, someone mentioned buying 34-dB rated muffs at Harbor Freight Tools. I don't think I've ever seen muffs rated at 34 dB, and certainly not at Harbor Freight. Maybe 24, but not 34.

So let's say 30 dB is the best muff available. But we wear them over shooting glasses, and that instantly creates a sound leak. So the best muffs you can but don't provide a 30 dB reduction under real world conditions.

Foam or molded ear plugs aren't affected by shooting glasses. So let's say we get 25 dB from our 30-dB muffs, and maybe another 25 dB from plugs. If we're shooting a big handgun that produces 150 dB of sound pressure, and we reduce it by 50, we're still left with 100 decibels of sound pressure. That's not "pretty low" -- that's significant.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/projects/sixer/loud.pdf

http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/2004-About-dB/

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; August 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old August 26, 2016, 10:52 AM   #47
NavyVet1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
In reality, it won't even be "pretty low."

I was at the range yesterday and I looked at the muffs they sell. The highest dB rating of the several brands and models offered was 30 dB. Some were in the low to mid twenties. In an earlier post, someone mentioned buying 34-dB rated muffs at Harbor Freight Tools. I don't think I've ever seen muffs rated at 34 dB, and certainly not at Harbor Freight. Maybe 24, but not 34.

So let's say 30 dB is the best muff available. But we wear them over shooting glasses, and that instantly creates a sound leak. So the best muffs you can but don't provide a 30 dB reduction under real world conditions.

Foam or molded ear plugs aren't affected by shooting glasses. So let's say we get 25 dB from our 30-dB muffs, and maybe another 25 dB from plugs. If we're shooting a big handgun that produces 150 dB of sound pressure, and we reduce it by 50, we're still left with 100 decibels of sound pressure. That's not "pretty low" -- that's significant.
Adding two dB ratings like that is not how it works.

http://www.coopersafety.com/noisereduction.aspx
Old August 26, 2016, 11:12 AM   #48
NavyVet1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
I found a free app on my "smarter than me" phone that records decibels. I may have to try it out on the range and see just how loud things are out there and at what distance. Should be good for a couple of arguments...uh, I mean "discussions".
It is my understanding that those apps on smartphones and even the cheaper handheld detectors are not good enough for the sound levels generated by firearms, especially the pulse type sounds.
Old August 26, 2016, 03:33 PM   #49
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet1959
Adding two dB ratings like that is not how it works.
True. And I did know that, although I had forgotten that the combined reduction was so much less than adding the numbers.

Shame on me for over-simplifying.

It just goes to show that "like a mouse walking on cotton" is not nearly obtainable when dealing with unsuppressed firearms.
Old August 28, 2016, 08:53 PM   #50
YYCADM

My electronic muffs that I've had for a few years started to eat batteries recently so I decided to replace them. Sadly, I'm not in the same financial strata & price was a BIG consideration for me; I'd set an absolute ceiling at $250.

The gunshop attached to the indoor range I shoot at is very accomodating to members, and they let me try out several different sets of muffs, including some they had just taken delivery on & hadn't even tried yet.

The new protectors were Walker Razor X's, completely new design. Instead of large, over the ear cups, these are ear buds, with the electronics, mics, volume control etc. contained in a "U" shaped device worn around your neck.

At around $100. and bizarre looking, of course I had to try them...and be blown away by their performance. These are the best ear protectors I've ever used. They have a 31db reduction level, completely static and "hiss" free, and the mics seem to be high quality; conversations, instructions from the range officer, etc. are very clear with excellent fidelity. They come with a variety of different sized tips to get a good fit in your ear, and because they're ear buds, nothing is in the way of getting a proper cheek weld on a rifle stock.

The cords on the ear buds retract on some sort of internal reel; to use them you just pull the buds out as far as you need and they lock at that length. I really like that I can wear them for long periods without discomfort from heat or the band pressing them down on my head too hard. You do notice an increase in the felt muzzleblast from someone shooting beside you, I assume because the entire side of your head is exposed instead of being half covered by muffs.

For the price, they seem quite well made. The only thing that concerns me a bit is how well the reels and the cables will stand up in prolonged use. They work so well, though that if the wires or leads (or both) break, I'll take them in and have braided audio cable put on them.

From what I can find, they only released these a couple of months ago, but they really nailed the concept; they work amazingly well.

Heck of a post for my first, huh? No, I don't work for Walker...I did just give them some money though. I'm looking forward to participating here and taking advantage of some of the knowledge you're willing to share!