The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 13, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Caboclo

Where Should I Move To?

I'm considering indulging in a mid-life crisis and moving back east somewhere. My choices are the following states: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. I want to know which state has the best gun laws. I know enough to not even consider Illinois or New Jersey. I heard Indiana has a lifetime CCW permit; that would be nice, but how are their other laws, such as state preemption, etc? Which states have the law requiring you to retreat as far as possible before fighting back?
Old March 13, 2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Bellevance

The state with the least restrictive gun laws? Vermont. Freedom and Unity.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
jad0110

If you plan on concealed carrying, you can scratch Illinois and Wisconsin off your list.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I live in Tenn. We have carry permits (open or concealed,) we have the Tenn. firearms freedom act-preempting federal firearms law (which has not yet been tested before the Supreme court,) and generally lax attitudes in regard to guns. Stay away from the "urban" areas of Memphis and Knoxville on either end of the state. The country in middle Tenn. is beautiful.
That said, I'm moving to Mississippi.......
Old March 13, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
TRaGiK

I live in NC and the gun laws are great here.

Only ones I don't care for are no conceled carry in state parks, and no concealed carry in anywhere that sells and serves alchohol.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:39 PM   #6
SilentHitz

Mississippi is very gun friendly, open carry with ccw permit, good hunting land ect. Alabama and Tennessee are good as well,but as Bill said, steer clear of Memphis. In Ms., steer clear of Jackson, it's turned into the "hood"...I just moved farther to the south in Byram. Have castle doctrine here too.

http://k5fv.com/
Old March 13, 2010, 05:52 PM   #7
jad0110

Quote:
I live in NC and the gun laws are great here.

Only ones I don't care for are no conceled carry in state parks, and no concealed carry in anywhere that sells and serves alchohol.
And don't forget no concealed carry in places that charge admission, like movie theaters. And no concealed carry during declared emergencies (isn't that when you want it most ?). And no concealed carry at "public gatherings", whatever the !@#$ that means.

NC's laws aren't terrible, but they aren't great either.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:33 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Kentucky has great pro gun laws. Great people too but hey, I'm biased.

If you are basing your move on gun laws, here is a good site to check out.

www.handgunlaw.us
Old March 13, 2010, 07:49 PM   #9
nefprotector

As long as you're not a NUT. ALABAMA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 13, 2010, 07:53 PM   #10
ChiefMuzz

Pennsylvania has pretty good gun laws. All it takes to get a CC permit is a quick background check and the cash. 15 minutes and you are out the door with it. PA is defacto open carry although I never have seen anyone do it. Stay away from the Philly area and you are fine. Hunting land is plentiful, as the state game commission does a great job of conservation and keep public hunting land open. Animals to hunt are also plentiful with turkey and bear numbers increasing dramatically over the past 5 years. All in all pa is a great outdoorsman state, relatively speaking.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:12 PM   #11
stevieboy

Georgia. With the exception of Vermont, as pro gun as they come. The only problem here is the interminable waiting period for CCW permits in urban counties. The regulations governing carry in the cities are identical to those in rural areas, but the urban (and some suburban) bureaucracies take their sweet time processing the paperwork. Basically, if you're over 21, have no felony conviction and haven't been adjudicated mentally incompetent, you're good to go and it's just a question of paying the fee, filling out the forms, and getting fingerprinted. There are no mandatory training requirements and a permit covers as many guns and as many types of guns as you care to buy or carry. Without a permit you may carry a gun in your car and, of course, have all you want at home.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:59 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
I'm considering indulging in a mid-life crisis and moving back east somewhere. My choices are the following states: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
Avoid Illinois. We're not as bad as some (no approved gun list, no magazine limit), but it's one of the last two states with no CCW. And we've not no open carry.

"McDonald vs. City of Chicago" -- capiche?

Legislatively things have been at a stalemate for years.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 13, 2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Stevie-Ray

I'm a little surprised you mention Illinois and Wisconsin, but not Michigan. We're a hunting and fishing paradise. Open carry is legal, even if it gets you funny looks in places like Wayne county. Shall Issue CPLs are given for 5 years expiring on your birthday. Castle doctrine. No state tax on pensions. The water/winter wonderland.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:24 PM   #14
WC145

Check Maine out, it's a great place if you can afford the price of admission (taxes!).
Old March 13, 2010, 09:33 PM   #15
22-rimfire

What else is important to you besides gun laws? Do you have to work? Do you hunt? Fish? Fishing for warm water species versus cold water species? Cost of living? Land costs? Taxes? Temperature range? The variables are endless and I have no idea what is important to you.

I like my state; especially the eastern 1/2.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Bellevance

Really, for most people who are thinking of making a major, life-changing move, firearms regulations are a fairly minor issue. They matter more to some than to others, but top five? Pretty doubtful.

As the posts here suggest, people can make their accommodations with modest restrictions wherever they live in the east. We live where we live for career/job and family reasons, primarily.

If slim restrictions were truly your paramount concern, trumping all the others, then Vermont or Alaska would be your choice.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:31 AM   #17
B.N.Real

Texas.

Sensible gun rights laws for the law abiding property owner.

Virginia is a good state also but traffic is a total nightmare everywhere.

You cannot escape or go around it.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:36 AM   #18
AcridSaint

I also live in NC. Unless you have your North Carolina concealed carry (not out of state), you'll have to get a pistol purchase permit for each handgun you want to buy (or crossbow). Our laws are far from great. Virginia is improving daily. We're doing what we can to fix the NC laws.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:05 AM   #19
Wildalaska

For my next midlife crisis. I'm gonna say screw guns and move to Thailand or the Phillipines

WildbetinevermakeitthoughAlaska TM
Old March 14, 2010, 01:06 AM   #20
OnTheFly

Nebraska is a good gun state...thank goodness.
  • We are shall issue for CHL
  • Recently started to grant reciprocity so the NE CHL is being recognized in more states as a return favor
  • Open carry is legal
  • No magazine or EBR restrictions
  • Legislators are working on Castle Doctrine
  • Recently passed law made all cities/townships abide by the state laws for CC instead of each city/town having their own rules
  • Hunting is good
  • Economy is reasonably healthy
Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 14, 2010, 01:50 AM   #21
Lawyer Daggit

When I was in the Philippines picking up my son from an orphanage 5 years ago guns were everywhere!!!! lovely sight to see...

Has something changed?
Old March 14, 2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Dustin0

Kentucky where else can you do stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZpCLvXsoM
Old March 14, 2010, 12:08 PM   #23
Murdock

Quote:
Check Maine out, it's a great place if you can afford the price of admission (taxes!).
Ah, the bitter taste of truth! If you don't want to work and plan on getting support benefits right away, come ahead.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:23 PM   #24
wally626

May want to rank the states inverse of the Brady Index and the unemployment rate. No point in moving to Indiana if you can't get a job.

To plug my state, VA has pretty good gun laws, with a couple of exeptions. Open and concealed carry, easy to get permit. So no print worries and it also does not have all the public event restrictions like GA has. You can go to anything in a public building (except the court house, or school) with a gun. Shooting in National Forrests is restricted to hunting and a limited number of ranges. Many western states have us beat on this area, where you can shoot on lots of public land. Also if you can find a job in part of VA other than Northern VA the traffic will be much better and house prices lower.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:42 PM   #25
dabigguns357

Though i live in West Virginia,i'm voting For Al or Tenn.I have lived in both and both are beautiful states with rather nice gun laws.The fishing is way better too.